What do you think about house on corner lot. Is it good or bad? Will it be difficult to resale?

Asked by V342, San Jose, CA Sat May 11, 2013

I personally don't like corner lot. The house is in quiet area, low traffic. But i'm concerned about safety issue. There're more chances it would be break into?

Answers

9
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Sat May 11, 2013
Hi V, and thanks for the question.

To be frank, I've owned and lived on a home on a corner lot three times and once on a home that was not located on a corner. The only home that was burglarized was, funny enough, the home that is located inside the community. All three of my corner lot homes have never been burglarized--not once. Although I've heard similar comments about homes on corners being more susceptible to theft, truth is that there is usually more traffic and more "eyes" on a home on the corner than a home located within the interior, so an interior lot can be just as attractive to a would-be burglar as a corner home.

Certainly corner lot properties located on busy streets are considered, by most buyers, to be less attractive than homes with less traffic and noise exposure. But if, as you state, the home is located on a quiet area with low traffic, I don't see that the corner lot would be any less attractive than another lot within the same community. There are definitely buyers who find a corner lot less attractive for reasons other than traffic--usually stemming from a personal or religious reason for disliking the corner lot--but there are an equal number who like the larger lots or simply have no preference or prejudice for the corner lot.

What I can say, for sure, is that having a corner lot home means that I have only two (2) neighbors (the one behind me and the one to the side of my home) rather than four neighbors to worry about, and that can always be an advantage in feeling "less crowded" than other homes. Also, my lot is bigger than others along the street, so that's also a plus.

The truth is that only you can determine if a corner lot is what you want for your home and family members. I would not worry at all about whether or not a future buyer has a concern about the corner lot--after all, if the area is a good one, the home is well maintained, and the neighborhood is attractive, the corner lot will the least of a future buyer's concerns.

Work with a great agent, and buy your dream home! Good luck!

Grace Morioka
Allison James Estates & Homes
Buyer Rebates Up to 1.5% of Sales Price and Low Cost Listing to Sellers
Leslie Conte, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sat May 11, 2013
Yes, not as good as if it were not, yes, harder for resale than not, more chances.
rarer so worth more.
Flag Mon Aug 15, 2016
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Sat May 11, 2013
I used to live on a corner lot and I never had issue with Break in. I have heard that corner lots are more likely to be broken into than an interior lot.

The pro is if you need access to your back yard you have one side for access. Some people want to park a boat or trailer in their back yard and they want corner lots. Also, you don't have a neighbor on one side.

The negative is your landscape or lot size is more in the front of your house due to set backs. People will park on the street next to your house.
Web Reference:  http://www.TerriVellios.com
Juliana Lee, Agent, Palo Alto, CA
Fri May 17, 2013
Corner lots often have different set back requirements limiting how large of a house can be built. This will affect the value compared to similar lot sizes and houses. Some corner lots have city owned land for sidewalks making the lot appear larger than it's actual dimensions.

Traffic noise always affects the value of a home. If the corner lot has appreciably more traffic noise it will be affected. Many residential streets do not have significantly more noise at corners.

There seems to be a trend for interacting with neighbors more than at some times in the past. A corner lot can provide more opportunity to be in your yard and meet passing neighbors.

You have to look at the neighborhood and how the house fits into it to really evaluate the affect of being on a corner lot.

San Jose real estate information at http://julianalee.com/san-jose.htm

Juliana Lee
Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty, the nations largest
Cell 650-857-1000

Over 20 years experience
Over 1,000 homes sold in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
.
Web Reference:  http://julianalee.com
charles butt…, Agent, san jose, CA
Sat May 11, 2013
Thank you for your question:

Corner lots are essentially a different market than interior lots. some people prefer a corner lot and will not accept anything else. some people prefer interior lots and will not accept anything else.

Some people do not have a great degree of preference for either.

For people who want access for a boat or trailer, a corner lot is ideal.

If the corner lot is on a busy street, the busy street will have a negative effect on the desirability of the property.

Whether or not you want a corner lot is really an issue of personal preference. As long as you get the property at fair market value, the rate of appreciation in value will be very similar for a corner lot as compared with a similar property in the same location. The resale will be similar for an interior lot in the same location. In most cases the rate of break ins will not be significantly different for a property located on a corner lot as compared with a property on an interior lot.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
Irene Jacobs…, Agent, Campbell, CA
Sat May 11, 2013

My family has lived on a corner lot and as everyone has said it has it's pros and cons.

For resale most buyers seem to be just fine as long as both streets are low traffic, most buyers do have some hesitation when a house is on a busy corner.

Many corner properties lend them selves to having more room for boat/RV parking which is a plus to some buyers looking for that extra parking space.

As always different buyers see properties differently.

Irene
http://www.irenejacobson.com
Bradley Wils…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sat May 11, 2013
Mowing a LOT of Grass for the neighbors to enjoy the view!
Waste of land in my opinion. I prefer a home not on a corner myself
and many of my clients have expressed similar opinions.

http://www.tourfactory.com/985663

Bradley Wilson
AMICI REAL ESTATE
I would rather enjoy a nice view with out seeing my neighbors house and roof and their windows.
Flag Sat May 7, 2016
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat May 11, 2013
Corner homes are like any other property...they offer pro's and con's that need to be considered.
The pro's are there is a higher degree of visibility and these lots are generally slightly larger the other neighboring lots. They can also in some cases provide you with a greater level of privacy in the back of the property.

On the other hand, the con's are: extra traffic, additional sidewalks to maintain, and a higher degree of visibility. I view this as possibly adding to the security of the home because of neighbors being able to view your home from more directions.

What is on the lot should be of greater importance than whether or no it's situated on a corner lot. A good "neighborhood watch" program can solve a lot of problems when it comes to neighborhood security.

Respectfully,

Roland Barcos, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sat May 11, 2013
Hi Van,
I think you have precisely answered your own question. It is really a matter of personal preference. On resale, there might be a little less demand because some people may agree with you, but it would not be nearly as difficult as being on a busy street or facing a T-intersection.

Take care,
Roland