What county has a great school system? I have a 9 and 13 year old. I heard St. Johns but there is St. John's E, W Se and N. Are there others?

Asked by Kalley, Lexington, SC Wed Jul 3, 2013

Answers

7
Ashley Stokes, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Tue Jul 16, 2013
Every post on here was good. But as a Parent go with your heart! Best of Luck!
Hickory & Do…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Thu Jul 4, 2013
Hi Kalley....It is GREAT to hear from a parent who KNOWS how important schools are for their children.......MOST of the schools in St. Johns County are excellent schools....but...as in ALL things in llfe...some are better than others. VISIT the schools....MEET the principal (the school is only as good as the principal)....talk to other parents...you can meet them where kids are...the pool...the hamburger place, etc.
DO NOT dismiss DUVAL County schools.....there are terrific schools in the Duval County School system.....and getting better....Duval has NATIONALLY ranked schools....the "proof is in the pudding"
Again ...check with the principal...check with moms and dads...AND...wherever you land....BE ACTIVE in your PTA...your school activities......as my mother-in-law says ( she is 100 years old and taught 2nd grade for at LEAST 200 years!) "A child who wants to learn and who has parents who support that goal..WILL learn no matter the school or the teacher!"
Our 40 year old daughter (Mrs Morris) teaches at a school near Hanna Park....she LOVES teaching and she LOVES her students....she is in the Duval County school system...and you could not find a better teacher ANYWHERE.....her students (who are NOT from affluent homes) EXCELL.....
Our 5 children went through the Duval School System and we have 5 grandchildren who have or are in the Duval System....they have all been honor students and have gotten unbelievable educations....two have graduated and received fantastic scholarships...so....find the neighborhood where you feel comfortable.....not everyone thrives in the same system...you and your children need to find what fits YOU. Thank you for your question.

Donna Delegal
"The Real Estate Lady"
Oceanside Real Estate
startpacking@comcast.net
(904)732-PACK 732-7225
Patti ODwyer, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Wed Jul 3, 2013
St Johns has terrific schools, but keep in mind that Duval county has two high schools that rank in the top twenty in the nation, so the kids feeding into that are getting great educations. St. Johns high schools do not rank anywhere near that high.

At one time Stanton was ranked #1 in the country but has dropped down to about #8, and Paxton is about #15. Duval county is very big, and encompasses a lot of different economic groups, education ranking usually is better in good economic areas.
Rosie Eisenm…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Great question! As realtors, we can not specifically answer that question as it would be considered "steering". Which is a violation of our licensing.

What I can say is I raised my children in St Johns county, it was awesome. My best recommendation is to go to these web sites and make your decision based on the statistics.

St. Johns County School District - Home
http://www.stjohns.k12.fl.us/
(St. Augustine) Community information, calendar, school directory and web sites, administrative directory, and board policies and minutes.

http://www.duvalschools.org

http://www.city-data.com

The information you find there will guide you to make the best decision for your family.

I would be more than happy to help you in your search.
John Breen, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Hi Kalley, Happy to see your interest in the St Johns county area. There are a few good areas that have a great school system. Nocatee, Ponte Vedra, Julington Creek are my favorites. Julington Creek in general is an awesome area to raise a family. Ball-fields, pools, newer area, and close to great shopping & the beach. You won't be dissapointed. Let me know if I can help by sending some active listings your way to view. Happy 4th

John Breen
Magnolia Properties
Nicole Alvar…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Hi Kalley,
The St. Johns County school district has continued to receive very high ratings throughout the past few years.
That does not mean other districts won't fall into the same or similar category but
if you would like to compare some of the scores including criteria please see the below link:
http://www.greatschools.org/florida/st.-johns/

I am also attaching the weblink for the school board which will also provide you with additional information
http://www.stjohns.k12.fl.us/

I have been living in St. Johns County for the past 10 years and my own children have attended the public schools in the NW sector, including Julington Creek Plantation.
From personal experience I absolutely love living here, it's a great pace of live, we are close to the beach and shopping is nearby as well. However, I am also a firm believer that parental involvement and dedication can make a child excel in any school, no matter where it's located.
If you would like more information about relocating to St. Johns county please feel free to reach out to me at anytime.
You can reach me via email or phone:

904-899-3974
nicolesellsflorida@yahoo.com

Thanks again and have a great day!
Kind regards,
Nicole Alvarez
Watson Realty Corp.
nicolealvarez@watsonrealtycorp.com
Frank & Shar…, Agent, Fleming Island, FL
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Hi Kalley,

There are great schools in every county in Northeast Florida. St. Johns is the #1 ranked school district overall in the State of Florida, but there are schools in Duval and Clay Counties that rank as well or better.

Duval has some of the top magnet schools in the country, as noted by USA Today's Annual Report on schools. Stanton College Preparatory is in the top 5 and Paxon in the top 20 annually.

A better question to ask would be what lifestyle do you want for your family, and then we can match it with great schools for that lifestyle. Some people want to live at the beach, some at the river, some more urban, some suburban or rural. Some want communities with amenities, and some want to stay as far as possible from the fees that come with community amenities.

To answer your question, St. Johns is divided into categories for the Multiple Listing System, if that is what you are talking about. NW St. Johns covers from Julington Creek to County Road 16. St. Johns SW is below that. St. Johns NE is east of I-95 also down to County Road 16, and SE is below that, including the City of St. Augustine.

Then there is Ponte Vedra Beach and the Ponte Vedra area, including Nocatee, which is in St. Johns County.

Hope this is helpful, and let us know if you have any other questions about our area.

Best 4th of July regards,

Sharon and Frank Alters, GRI, e-PRO, CDPE
Coldwell Banker Vanguard Realty
904-673-2308
sharon@teamalters.com