What can be done about a Realtor who deliberately throws a sale when under contract so she can sell to a cash buyer instead ?

Asked by kmhart, Clearwater, FL Mon Apr 22, 2013

I am approved for a short sale. The home didn't pass inspection so I offered to pay for repairs with licensed contractors so it could. The Realtor and sellor had a change of heart after 2 cash buyers lined up behind me. They forbid me to go in home, didn't want estimates or repairs, wouldn't answer phone calls, no emails in a timely manner. Stalled and gave excuses until my closing date was running out. Now there is not time to repair, get re-inspection, apprasial, nor insurance, and because non of these have taken place , there will be no time to get financing done. The Bank has no idea she is the one who stalled me out and only she can approach them about an extension. Clearly she is trying to throw my sale and wants the cash buyer behind me. What is a contract if I am the only one who honors my half. This Realtor is a disgrace to the Realtors who do play by the rules. I feel there is some financial bonus in the cash buyer that she is going to benefit from What can be done?

Answers

2
Tracy Ryan E…, Agent, Dayton, OH
Mon Apr 22, 2013
I understand this is a very frustrating situation, but here are a few things to remember: the real estate agent only gets paid more if the cash offer is for a higher amount. If two offers are the same, as a Realtor I don't care if it is a mortgage or cash situation, I get the same amount of money either way. Now the real estate agent may very well be acting this way at the behest of her client. She is obligated to follow her clients instructions. Do you have a real estate agent representing your interests in this deal? If so, they should be acting on your behalf to get this situation worked out. At the very least, the Seller should tell you they are accepting a competing offer and not leave you hanging.

Best of luck in resolving this issue.
Keith Jean-P…, Agent, East Brunswick, NJ
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Well you can bring an ethics complaint to their attention but you must be able to prove this without a doubt. Sorry to hear about this. Good luck.