Home Buying in Long Beach>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What areas in Long Beach are likely to appreciate in the next 5 years?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 9, 2012

What potential local factors could contribute to this appreciation?

Note: Trulia Question of the Day is popular question being discussed in local markets. We'll featured best answers in consumer monthly digest.

There are many wonderful areas in Long Beach, each with distinctive attributes and qualities that will give cause for price appreciation.

But I would like to help you by narrowing the field. I would focus on two Zip Codes 90808 and 90815; specifically the Los Altos, La Marina Estates, South of Conant, Plaza, and Rancho areas. These areas feature single-family residences that are well maintaining, showing pride of ownership. While there may be specific homes in need of attention, there are no pockets of homes in poor conditioin and requiring massive attention.

There are find schools for children and many parks to enjoy life with our friends and neighbors. Shopping is convenient as are access to freeways.

Point being, if you are looking for a home, or for an investment property with 'good bones', then you should be looking in the southeastern area of Long Beach.

I will be happy to have more detailed information sent to anyone looking in these areas.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 9, 2012
I absolutey love Long Beach as an Area for great real estate investment, it is one of the most affordable beach cities in Los Angeles.I feel the areas of Long Beach that will appreciate the most are Downtown Long Beach, Signal Hill, Bixby Hill, Bixby Knolls, Los Altos, El Dorado Park, California Heights and areas near the Virginia Country Club. Other areas that are extremely affordable are areas of 90805, lots of properties under 300K. My favorite zip codes for investment are 90815, 90813, 90755 (Signal Hill),90802,90803,90808,90807,90805 and of course any areas near the beach and CAL STATE Long Beach. Long Beach is truly one of the most diverse and fun beach cities in Los Angeles County. Long Beach is an affordable great investment for real estate investing and living! To find your next home in Long Beach , feel free to contact me to help you in your home search! Happy Buying!

Anna Maria Kitras, Broker Associate,Keller Williams
Certified Short Sales and Foreclosure Resource, SFR
Certified HAFA Specialist
Dre Lic#01238012
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 9, 2012
When real estate market was hot, ALL areas of Long Beach were going up in price. Word of caution though, the areas where prices started low and then went off the grid, have fallen much more in price than other areas of Long Beach. Neighborhoods that have fared much better during this recession are communities close to the water, the historical areas of California Heights, Bixby Knolls, and Virginia Country Club, and pretty much all of the East Long Beach area, zip code of 90808 and areas close to it. These are neighborhoods that pride themselves on home ownership, and have great schools. CAL STATE is located here, along with award winning public schools. This definitely helps maintain values and desirability.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 9, 2012
Looking at the overall market conditions and historical data, it is very likely that all areas of Long Beach are likely to appreciate to some degree.

Nobody has a real crystal ball, so it really is a guess on anyone's part.

If you are looking to buy a home to live in Long Beach, you should be looking where you want to live, because the difference in appreciation from one end of Long Beach to the other won't be much.

If you are looking as an investor for residential, CSULB is always going to create some demand for student houses.

Either way, some good advice given to me when I started investing in Real Estate 20 years ago was "Buy near the beach, the closer you are the more it goes up, and the less it comes down."

So far even through the 2004-2008 market that has held very true.

Kelly Bourquin - Agent
Your Bike To Beach Realtor
Need to clarify the units (income properties) part of my answer. Area's that have a lot of income properties/rentals will most likley go up in value. Wrigley has a lot of units and Downtown and Alamitos beach areas.
I would estimate the areas that have a lot Notice of Defaults may be areas that have the potential of growth in the next 5-7 years. Since these may become “future” Bank Repo’s . A lot of investors will pick up these properties (usually fixers) and fix them up really nice and re-sell them. I can ask my title company to pull up Notice of Defaults and see which areas in Long Beach are impacted the most. I also have been really busy with units (1-4). It seems that investors see the value of these type of properties and the rental market has gone up quite a bit. I speculate this is because there are “unfortunately” a lot of people losing their homes to foreclosure AND/OR Short Sales and they just need to get out of their over encumbered properties and just are walking away. So there are a lot of people looking for rent and willing to pay top dollar since it’s still MUCH less then there old mortgage notes. People can still purchase again in a couple of years after a short sale. Area’s that have good schools like Los Altos and Plaza Area will eventually go back up in value. Look at crime rates stats and school stats, that’s a good start. I hope this helps ~

(562) 673-0943
I work and live in the Belmont Heights area and I see many people that like being right by the beach and downtown are buying properties in the Eastside Circle area for much less money than Belmont Heights/Shore. If you move inland just a few blocks the houses are much cheaper but you are still close to everything. It's a great area to invest if you are just looking to rent as well. In general, I really think Long Beach properties are a great investment . I have lived here for 6 years and I am constantly seeing improvement. ;)