What area would you suggest UT Austin grad student look to find reasonable / quality housing - $150k - $200k?

Asked by J Dickman, Cleveland, OH Thu Apr 10, 2008

Not opposed to using bus transportation or a bike to commute to UT. . I do not know Austin area but plan on staying at least 5 years to complete PhD. I have viewed (on-line) several condos located in North and West campus area. Other location suggestions will be appreciated.

Answers

16
Julie Nelson, Agent, Austin, TX
Sat Apr 12, 2008
In general, I have found grad students happiest a bit away from campus. Some options that I have worked with other grad students in this price range include Delwood in area 3, east of IH35 off Cameron Rd just north of 51st Street, condos in Allendale / N. Hyde Park and south Austin (area 10N). The interactive map at http://www.searchAtown.com will help you understnad the under $200k market in Austin ... change the price criteria at the bottom of the page, then wand over the map and homes will pop up. Expect small in this price range (the closer in, the smaller) but you definitley have some options.
Web Reference:  http://www.searchAtown.com
Torquil Cree…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Apr 23, 2008
Austin has very diverse neighborhoods! If you desire a small quiet neighborhood about 7 minutes south of downtown, the Crossings at Onion Creek has several 3-4 bedroom homes in your price range.Great investment as demand for property close to downtown continues rising.Most are quaint,vintage cottage style, with small lawns. If you prefer lower maintenance and more urban style--you might enjoy Chestnut Commons on the east side about 4 minutes to U.T, and on the new metro rail. I would be happy to help you narrow your search and send you a list of properties that suit your style and needs. Please feel free to contact me. torquil.creevy@century21.com. I'm confident that we can find a neighborhood where you will feel right at home!
Francie Litt…, , Austin, TX
Sat May 10, 2008
I think you should check out The Bungalows at Forty Acres. North Campus, right across the street from the practice field. Incredible location. Interiors updated with travertine floors, new kitchens, granite counters, wood floors, etc. They look great inside, and since it is in the North Campus area it will be a quieter complex than those you will find in the West campus area. 1BR/1BA units start at $159,000. Actually, there is an efficiency coming up for $120,000. Email me back if you want to see them. flittle@aveone.com
Fri May 9, 2008
I would suggest that you speak with a Real Estate professional in the area to help. Their services usually do not cost you anything as a buyer (which is why 9 out of 10 are working with a professional) and they will know the areas, whats available, assist you though the process from a list of good area lenders, negotiating the best price for you, explaining the importance of inspections, etc. and should make this a pleasant experience. Congratulations on your degree!
DrBoyce, , Austin, TX
Fri May 9, 2008
Dear J,

Perhaps we should ask you first - are you going to be able to qualify for a loan now? Have you received a written Loan Pre-Approval, Good Faith Estimate and Truth in Lending Disclosure showing what your interest rate, down payment and closing costs are? Having grown up in Akron, perhaps a fellow Ohioan and Buckeye can help you work on that loan situation first. Let me know if we can help...

DrBoyce
Web Reference:  http://www.Home-Deals.net
Courtney Old…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue May 6, 2008
With five years to earn some equity, I would head south just behind the Westgate Central market. It's a charming residential area with lots of retail, restaurants and access to Cap Metro.
Brenda Starr, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon May 5, 2008
Hi !

I have worked with a lot of UT students finding housing and there are some really nice neighborhoods that are close or transportation-friendly. Are you looking to rent or purchase? If you're here for about 5 years, of course an investment would be the best. I'm happy to email you properties and locations to check out...only those that fit your criteria of course! Call or email me anytime. I look forward to helping.
Carl Shurr, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Apr 29, 2008
I would recommend you consider near South Austin (78704). Prices are reasonable for property in or near downtown Austin, traffic is lighter than most areas of Austin, it is a great area for investment as it is close to downtown, Lady Bird Lake, and the airport.
Donna, Home Seller, Austin, TX
Thu Apr 24, 2008
I live just outside of Hyde Park (good grad school neighborhood, hip and laid back) in a neighborhood called Ridgetop. If you prefer a house over a condo because of pets etc....this is a good up and coming neighborhood that is near a new big hospital so I think it will hold its value very well. YOu can still get a nice little bungalow in that area for under 200K. I'm putting my house up for sale in a couple of weeks and my agent and I plan on listing it at/under 190K. Lots of people in this neighborhood take the bus or bike to UT school/jobs.
Karen Dwyer, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Apr 23, 2008
Another popular area for students is Northwest Hills/Far West. The UT bus route services that area and there are several condominium complexes within walking distance of the bus stops. You can buy a nice 1/1 in this area for $150K or less. The Edgecliff condominiums, for example, have a bus stop right out front and you can walk from there to the grocery store, and restaurants. Resale is in this area is pretty good as well because of the UT bus route. As long as there are students, there will be buyers.
Kaylee, , Texas
Wed Apr 23, 2008
I have been searching for reasonable real estate in central and east austin. Definitely have Chestnut Commons at the top of my list! I have lived in austin for many years and have kept an eye on real estate values. This looks to be a great area!!! Good luck in your search. Check out the web site. I think it's chestnutcommons.com. I would recommend using a realtor who knows the area to get the best deal. Many of the new develpoments will tell you that the "in house" realtor is all you need. I'm using an outside realtor to negotiate the best deal and make sure I'm represented fairly. Good luck!
Richard Haen…, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Apr 23, 2008
Congratulations on deciding to buy in Austin! It is a great market and opportunity. There are a number of great opportunities around the campus. A relatively new trend over the last few years is Apartment to Condo Conversions. This has provided a number of properties to the resale market that had not been out there before. You will be pleasantly surprised with what you find. Working with a professional REALTOR(R) will help you make quick work of the task at hand. This is an area that I have done a great amount of work and would be glad to help you.
Web Reference:  http://www.richardhaenke.com
Roy DuBose, , Austin, TX
Thu Apr 17, 2008
adjust your search map to stay between mopac and 35 and go either north or south -- imho, both areas will produce some gems and they will only continue to appreciate
Jim Morelli, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Apr 16, 2008
You may want to consider North and Northeat Austin as well. The area offers easy access to bus routes and will be central to the new light rail train which begins service later in 2008. The area also is close to medical, shopping and entertainment. You can view some of the communities in the are at http://www.LivingNorthAustin.com
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri Apr 11, 2008
There are several condos in Hyde Park that fit your description. I like spanish oaks because its cute, close to everything you may need and on the UT bus route.
Gregg Klar, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri Apr 11, 2008
Being an agent in Austin for close to 10 years I've listed and sold many homes and condos to students and faculty of many of the universities in Austin. I'd suggest looking around campus, just north of downtown, east Austin, and south Austin. These areas still provide very affordable housing and are expected to go up in value in the years to come.
If U can help with anything else, please let me know.
Gregg Klar
GreggKlar@aol.com
Web Reference:  http://www.GreggKlar.com