What area or suburb of Houston do you recommend?

Asked by Deborah Madey, Brick, NJ Tue Aug 7, 2007

My buyers will need easy access to the airport, and prefer custom homes to development homes. Prefer established well maintained neighborhood with mature landscaping and trees. Price range 550-650K. They will not be moving until next year and are not ready or receptive yet to a referral. They are beginning their preliminary research about communities.

Answers

8
Thomas Johns…, , Houston, TX
Tue Aug 14, 2007
If they need airport access- Which airport? If Hobby (HOU) is an option, 5 miles from downtown, they can live inside the Loop, and buy in one of the few areas of Houston that shows consistent price appreciation. The cities of Bellaire, West University and the Memorial villages all have options in your clients' price range. These are the areas that have mature trees and close in locations. IAH is 40 miles from downtown and most of the communities in the far north are newer and have younger landscaping.
Web Reference:  http://www.ERAHouston.com
Janet Hayes, , Kingwood, TX
Fri Aug 10, 2007
Your buyers will be very happy here with both quantity and quality! Stick with the master-planned communities: Kingwood, The Woodlands, Clear Lake City, Katy and Sugarland. There are nice pocket communities as well, including some around the Galleria, Spring, Champions, River Oaks, Memorial, etc. We specialize in relocation here and will be happy to help when the time comes.
Tyron C. McD…, , Sugarland, Texas
Thu Aug 9, 2007
The first poster was right $550-650k buys A LOT OF HOUSE in Houston... based on their needs I would suggest they look at The Woodlands (the first master planned community in the nation built around a golf course); there is a wide selection of custom homes throughout this area. Spring and Kingwood are two other great areas where they can find a great selection.
Web Reference:  http://www.har.com
Bob Kimmons, Both Buyer And Seller, 77364
Wed Aug 8, 2007
As a former NYC resident myself, I can tell you that you will find that a 550-650 K budget will go a long way in Houston area compared to the East Coast!

There are some great communities N/NE of Houston that offer wonderful lakefront, forest, and golf course homes and still have convenient access to George Bush (IAH) International airport via Hwy 59 & Hwy 45. Check out Lake Livingston, Lake Conroe, Conroe, Willis, Montgomery County, 77301, 77302, 77364, 77303.

I'm not a Realtor, but my wife is. If you need additional specifics please feel free to e-mail. Rgds!
Jenn, , Katy, TX
Mon May 12, 2008
Check out my house if you are interested in a great house for the money in a Houston suburb. We absolutely love the house but our family has outgrown it. My husband and I built it in 2002 and have taken immaculate care of it. We live in Katy (west side suburb of Houston) and love the area. The house is loaded with upgrades and we have made many improvements on it since we moved in. We win yard of the month on an annual basis and the inside is even nicer than the outside. Here is the web site to check it out. We welcome FHA and conventional loans and we are providing a one year home warranty for your protection. http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=9669577&am… Address: 4847 Monarch Glen Lane, Katy, TX
Sg Dryer, Home Buyer, Houston, TX
Thu Dec 6, 2007
We moved from Westchester County to Houston (West University Place - Inner Loop) 2 years ago. We got double the house (literally) but in the 550-650 price range your clients will be looking at smaller, older homes in the before-referenced Inner Loop neighborhoods. I think Kingwood or the Woodlands are great options if your clients are raising a family. If they're pre-children, or empty nesters, it's too far from the action.
KJ, , Houston, TX
Sat Oct 6, 2007
The most established, mature neighborhoods are inside the loop or nearby: Bellaire, West U, River Oaks, Memorial area, Tanglewood. However, while $550 - $650k does buy you a nice house, it probably won't get you something custom. Custom homes in those neighborhoods tend to be more expensive and the land is scarce. Each of the above options is probably a 30 minute drive to the airport. Kingwood and the Woodlands are not as old/established, but the landscaping is lush and in some places very mature. These both are a good distance from the city but very close to the airport (IAH).

I'm not a real estate professional (just a guy!) but I travel 1 or 2 days per week. I live inside the loop in Bellaire and have no problems getting to IAH, and there are a lot of pluses to living close-in.

In searching, I recommend har.com- use the consumer tools to learn more about the neighborhoods.
Jennifer Fer…, , Kingwood, TX
Tue Aug 14, 2007
Hi Deborah,

Kingwood, definitely (I live here). It is very close to the airport (IAH), has wonderful schools, and the people are super nice :)

Jennifer Ferris
Keller Williams Realty, NE
713.309.5093