What are your thoughts on Berkshire lakes? We like a home there but are concerned that it is in an ungated community?

Asked by tomndebrex, Naples, FL Mon Sep 3, 2012

Answers

14
Kathy Bogan…, , Naples, FL
Wed Sep 5, 2012
It's a good community (older), nice mix of condos and single family. Well maintained! Kathybc 800-448-3411 ext 601 (9/5)
Marc Comisar, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Tue Sep 4, 2012
Berkshire is a great community......close in and very affordable prices.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Domain-RealtyGroup.com
Dustin Beard, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Sep 4, 2012
Tom & Deb -

Berkshire Lakes is a great community. I wouldn't get too caught up in the fact that it is not gated. Being in a gated community is not the end all, be all. In fact, I think it adds a level of false protection.

Having said that, there will be some people who only want to live in gated communities but with that gate usually comes more rules and regulations. Berkshire Lakes is an outstanding location and I never hesitate showing property in the community.

I think you will be very happy there.

If I can help in any way, please don;t hesitate to call or e-mail me.

Dustin Beard, ABR, CREN, CRS, GRI
Broker Associate
John R. Wood, Inc. REALTORS
3255 Tamiami Trail N.
Naples, Fl. 34103

http://www.DustinBeard.com
Cell: (239)289-2650
Fax: (239)325-2787
Rich Homer, Agent, NAPLES, FL
Tue Sep 4, 2012
Tom,

It depends on what you willing to spend. Berkshire is a nice community, but there are many others including gated. Forest Glen is also high on my list and it is gated with the lowest bundled golf fee in town. Call us toll-free and direct at 855.627.5376

http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/blog/
Christopher…, Agent, Naples, FL
Tue Sep 4, 2012
Hey I love it, everyone does! Cool neighborhood and big too. And it has the best Publix grocery store in town! Very well kept and friendly atmosphere. Are you working with a Realtor? You'll want a buyers agent to represent you. Give me a call, I have been an agent in town for a long time.

Chris Gasparas
239-707-9591
Just A Sugge…, Home Owner, Naples, FL
Tue Sep 4, 2012

I too agree with previous responses that gates give a false sense of security. To be honest as a person who has to work here during peak traffic hours of the day, I prefer no gate now so that I don't get stuck in long lines getting in or out of a community, especially those without a guard. A gate can be a royal pain.

Some of the most expensive homes in this area and around the country have no gates and it leaves them no more vulnerable to crime than any others. Always check with the police department for statistics.

I personally did not want any homes in the area where Berkshire Lakes is located, it was not where the goods, services and activities I participated in regularly were conveniently located for me.

A house is a house so make sure its convenient to your life. Remember that you buy a house, inside it you make a home.

Finances and lifestyle should dictate where you ultimately chose to live.

Best of luck to you in your search, I'm sure you'll find the perfect one!
Peggy Wagner-…, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Tue Sep 4, 2012
Check local crime rates and I think you'll find it very low for that entire area. And, it's true that "gated" is sometimes a false sense of security. Will the offset in low HOA fees be worth not having gates? I would think so. And if you haven't lived in a gated community previously, it can sometimes be a real hassle. Good luck!
Kathleen Cra…, Agent, Naples, FL
Mon Sep 3, 2012
I am a realtor and live in Berkshire Lakes. It is not a gated community, but this keeps the Association dues low, they are only $240 a year for single family homes. It is also a Deeded community which keeps the standards high - the Association takes action if homeowners neglect their property. It is a friendly community where I live, and neighbors look out for each other and their homes when they are vacant.
Julie Hall, Agent, Lehigh Acres, FL
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Berkshire Lakes is a very nice community and location. I have lived in Naples all my life and know the area very well. For more information please go to my website at jhall.advantarealty.com or feel free to call me at 239-289-5811.
John Caponet…, Agent, Naples, FL
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Hi Tom and Deb;
Please go to my website http://www.naplesforeclosures.net and click on the community information. You will see a box to enter the zip code or the area or name of a community if you do not know the zip code.
From there you will see all the demographics of the area and crime statistics. There is a lot of useful information packed into my website. I am very proud of the developers who helped design and provide these very useful statistics for people to utilize in their searches for a home.

Please do not hesitate to call if you have any questions.

John Caponetto
Premiere Plus Realty Co.
239-450-2010
Lynn Fulton, Agent, Naples, FL
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Berkshire is a good sized community with some beautiful properties. They also have a gated neighborhood just across Santa Barbara called The Preserve. I sold an attached coach home to a young couple 4 years ago. They love it in there. But gates are no guarantee against criminals. They may deter someone from driving a moving van to your front door and loading all your valuables but if they truly want in--- a gate is not a guarantee. Do you have small children? Are you moving here full time or will this be a vacation home ? If you are moving a family with children who will attend school check out the school system at http://www.CollierSchools.com. Please let me know if I can help in any other way.
Lynn

LFulton@JohnRWood.com
Cellular 1-239-293-3125
Toll Free 1-800-633-7161
Mary Horesco, Agent, Naples, FL
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Tom,
Berkshire Lakes is a well established popular community in a great location. There is no guarantee of security within any gate, and "gated" is a broad term for a variety of types.
What is of importance is the financial status of the community, the home values, HOA fees, management, amenities, location, etc.

Every buyer needs to evaluate facts and data and compare to their needs and goals.

Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Yours,
Mary Horesco
239-293-9434
LEANN ANDERS…, Agent, NAPLES, FL
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Tom,
Great community and alot of times gated communities are really a false sense of security. Go to collier county sherrifs website and you can see community crime rates. I have been in Naples fulltime going on 13 years now and have never lived in gated community. If i can be of more help, please feel free to contact me directly.
Leann Anderson
leannNaples@aol.com
direct-239-777-1823
http://www.naplesrealtyfinder.com
http://www.naplesbeachandhomes.com
Bobby Long, Agent, Naples, FL
Mon Sep 3, 2012
My in laws have lived in Berkshire Lakes for 9 years and have never ha a problem. With HOA fees of $240 it is a great deal. The school system is not the best in Naples but overall pretty good.