What are the up and coming suburbs of chicago that are...?

Asked by Matt Gruwell, Naperville, IL Thu Dec 6, 2007

A.) close to a train station and
B.) no further west than Naperville?

Answers

5
Tom, , Oak Park, IL
Thu Jan 3, 2008
Brookfield has been popping lately.

Great high school, on the Burlington line and affordable homes many with decent land as well.
Cathi Weaver, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Dec 7, 2007
Hi Matt,

One thing you may want to look for is whether or not a Starbucks moves in. They target areas that are going to be making significant improvement. Northlake, Franklin Park and Schiller Park are three neighboring areas where you would never have thought that a Starbucks would pop up...but they are now there. These are more industrial areas, but as far as being close to a train, Franklin Park and Schiller Park both have train stations.
Web Reference:  http://www.cathiweaver.com
Do you know of up and coming suburbs now that are fairly walkable and safe in the that have not maxed out yet?
Flag Tue Apr 18, 2017
CMLHoldings, Other Pro, Bartlett, IL
Wed Jan 30, 2008
Tom,
Can you tell my wife about the Starbucks thing! She is soo hooked and I believe that the froth is about to go over the cup with Starbucks as they will be closing down lots of non performing stores in 2008
Brian and Dan…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Jan 28, 2008
I agree with the others that Brookfield is a decent choice. Your money goes a little further considering all it has to offer... an 18-minute express train to Union Station, two nice downtown areas, solid brick homes, well-maintained parks, and reasonable taxes. Also, the two high schools that cover Brookfield (Riverside-Brookfield and Lyons Township) are highly rated. Depending on how much you'd like to spend, I've also seen some good buys lately in Clarendon Hills and La Grange/La Grange Park/La Grange Highlands.
I know this was written quite some time ago but I have a question. I am looking to spend no more than $250,000 but less would be nice. A 2 bdr/2bath. I am a widow so I am looking for a place safe and where I can walk to groceries(within 6-7 blocks but is still a bit quite. I was thinking of Oak Park but have some concern about safety and it seem very congested. I have looked around Berteau and Lincoln in Chicago as I have a friend that rents there but it is quite expensive but the neighborhood feel is what I am looking for. I know Uptown is changing is there something coming up there or one of the other neighborhoods around Lincoln Square, or Oak Park and the surrounding areas which would fit my needs of walkability, safety, and neighborhood feel. I would rather not have too many units in a building. Thank you
Flag Tue Apr 18, 2017
Ruthless, , 60558
Sat Jan 5, 2008
I think La Grange, Western Springs and Hinsdale have improved about as much as they can. Naperville is so big and new developments that you would have to look strictly at pockets. Brookfield is a good one. It can only increase so much because of the lot sizes. I also think Downers Grove has lots of room to go to the next level. I don't know what their tear-down rules are, or school rankings, but the town has a lot to offer.

New expensive town homes and condos in Oak Park just amazes me. But just like La Grange, I think Oak Park is already there.
Ruth
Web Reference:  http://www.Oak-Park-IL.com