What are the steps for a person living in Mexico to buy a house in the US?

Asked by Gemma, 94553 Thu Aug 20, 2009

She wouldn't need a loan, but the only problem is that she has all her money in a bank in Mexico, so she would need to bring her money here. Is it very difficult? She wants to continue living in Mexico, just wants to make that kind of investment now that the houses are in a very reasonable price, and also to have a place of her own when she comes to visit her family here.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Bob Georgiou’s answer
Bob Georgiou, Agent, Danville, CA
Fri Aug 21, 2009
Nothing, really if they are paying all cash. It is adviseable to open a checking or savings account and consulting an accountant proficient in international accounting but not mandatory. She will have to be here in the US for the closing, unless that law changed and have some form of valid ID for a notary which is will be a challenge within itself.

Disclosure: The only transaction I did was pre 9/11 Patriot Act.
Web Reference:  http://bob2sell.com
0 votes
CCC, Home Owner, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 20, 2009
She could open a checking or savings account with her passport.
Wire transfer. Don’t travel with cash.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more