What are the quality of Heartland Homes in the Pittsburgh, PA area? Specific questions to ask when meeting with Heartland Homes agent?

Asked by Ig, 15108 Wed Jun 29, 2011

My husband and I are looking at moving within the year and possibly building a house with Heartland Homes, Inc. I have read and heard mixed reviews about the quality of their work, how they handle issues after closing, etc. I was hoping to gain some advice on what to look out for when dealing with them and how to try to assure we do not end up with an expensive mortgage and a crappy house.

Answers

10
Joan Akanowicz’s answer
Joan Akanowi…, Agent, Coraopolis, PA
Wed Jun 29, 2011
I have seen alot of Heartland homes that are beautiful & seem to be well contructed. I'm not an expert in construction though. A home inspector can check out the ones that are already built to see what they think. I sold a townhouse Heartland built & my client loves it. Please let me know if I can help you.
Help them buy not selling them a heart land home.
Flag Tue Jul 14, 2015
stacieklishis, Home Buyer, Coraopolis, PA
Wed Jul 3, 2013
My best advice if you are thinking of building with Heartland is to Stay Away!

I wish there was a way to give them zero stars:

Moved into our home in November of 2012. It is now June 2013 and we are still fighting with them to complete the project. Because of improper installation, they have already had to tear up our basement floor. Our basement door has been "fixed" multiple times, but still continues to leak. The flooring company has had to come out no less than four times to fix mistakes in the hardwood flooring installation and have had to pull up carpeting to fix crooked flooring underneath. We have also had to have holes filled in our driveway already due to erosion. By far, the worst issue we have experienced is with our yard. Simply stated, it is still a mud pit and continues to flood. We have no grass, just mud....paired with empty promises from Heartland that they will eventually fix it.

I have never seen a company so excited to take your money and then have absolutely no customer service. We are currently on project manager #2, who blames all of the mistakes on the one that was supposedly fired. Sadly, many of the subcontractors have said that they were surprised that we have had only two project managers throughout this project so far. We have been told most people have 3-4.

Yesterday, I spent three hours off of work to take one of my dogs to the emergency vet. Apparently, he had consumed stagnant water from our backyard (our flooding backyard) and he picked up a pretty bad parasite, which can not only be passed to our other dogs, but to other people! $375 later, he is doing much better.

No one at this company will return calls. If you are considering building with Heartland, you should first check out their ratings on BBB. I wish we would have done the same. Please feel free to contact me at stacieklishis@gmail.com if you need to see pictures or need more information.
Schadefamily1, Home Buyer, Coraopolis, PA
Sun Oct 23, 2016
My wife and I built two Ryan homes. This company is now part of Heartland. Two daughters built with Heartland and another daughter built a Ryan. We are experienced with these companies. Up till now very satisfied. HOWEVER son is in the process of building an expensive Heartland and it is nothing short of disastrous. Foundation walls broken and cracked and repaired, roof leaking, hurricane bolts not installed properly, beer cans found stuffed in basement drains, when lumber was delivered it was crashed into hillside, steps twisted, I-beam support shims improper and covered with insulation spray. I could go on but you get the picture. I could go on. For peace of mind my son and pregnant wife had to hire structural engineer and home inspector at a cost of $1,000.00. The house isn't finished but has been a nightmare up to this point. I'm writing a letter to the President of the company. If you use Heartland you MUST be there every day to check on their independent contractors. If you don't know what to look for hire someone!!! This house could have been built better by first year trade school boys!!!!
First Last, Both Buyer And Seller, Pittsburgh, PA
Wed Jul 27, 2016
I recently built a Heartland Homes home in Pittsburgh area. Heartland homes bundles up lots of upgrade items in its base price while Ryan homes owners can upgrade items individually. That is why Heartland homes community tend to be pricier.

Heartland homes quality is 100% same as Ryan homes quality. Heartland homes and Ryan homes use exactly the same construction materials (truss, concrete), vendors (all use RiteRug for floors, and Guardian for security), contractors (same contractor work for both Ryan and Heartland), they built the exact same floor plans. In Pittsburgh the larger footprint homes are built by Heartland, the smaller homes are built by Ryan. In other areas Ryan homes builds all floor plans.

The building process is the most frustrated one. Keep your eyes open and good luck if your project manager responds to your problems. I was only informed about the progress only few times during the whole process. There were several building mistakes it's too late after it's done. There are lots of problems (drains in laundry room, garage floor did not function, cracks in concrete, leaks in toilet and sink, yards with no top soil). Heartland homes has all kinds of fine prints to protect them from correcting the issues.

Overall good look and average materials. Heartland should remove "luxury" from its name since I don't see much "luxury" items that come with the house.

You are paying a premium for the house you like. Few houses were built but were not closed by original buyers. These houses were sold around 100K cheaper than the original prices. That says one thing. The houses are overpriced.
Wed Jul 27, 2016

Wed Jul 27, 2016
I recently built a Heartland Homes home in Pittsburgh area. Heartland homes bundles up lots of upgrade items in its base price while Ryan homes owners can upgrade items individually. That is why Heartland homes houses are pricier than Ryan homes.

Overall good look and average materials. Heartland should remove "luxury" from its name since I don't see much "luxury" items that come with the house

Marryme, Home Buyer, Coraopolis, PA
Tue Mar 29, 2016
The selling agents are not knowledgeable of the building process and helping with selections. Maybe bring a contractor friend so you make accurate selections. For instance who doesn't get a floor drain in their garage. Don't rush into decisions it will only hurt you at the end.
Leamc6776, Home Buyer, Wexford, PA
Tue Jul 14, 2015
Never buy Heartland! They were way better just being Ryan. Heartland ironically rips the heart out of you and tosses it into the waste land. HORRIBLE!!
Miguel Ramir…, Agent, Moon TWP, PA
Wed Oct 2, 2013
I agree with Luther. I have my home build by Ryan Homes last year. Ryan and Heartland are now own by the same builder. From the Personal and professional side, I believe I can share some great tips when looking for brand new construction. I'm a call away.
Luther Worma…, Agent, North Huntingdon, PA
Wed Jun 29, 2011
Hi Lg,

I understand your concerns, you hear lots of horror stories from home buyers who have gotten less than they expected out of a home. From servicing the area, I'm familiar with heartland Homes but I would not feel comfortable discussing their pluses and minuses for everyone to see. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like specific answers to your questions. lutherw@remax.net