What are the pros & cons of buying a home across from a grade school?

Asked by Wendy, Chicago, IL Mon May 26, 2008

the grade school is Mitchell Elementary in West Town (Chicago)

Answers

4
Dm, Home Buyer, Somerville, MA
Mon May 26, 2008
Yes, I meant to say during the day it's noisy at recess and lunch time and quiet otherwise. I work from home so I notice it, but even then, it's really not that bad.
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Mon May 26, 2008
It is noisy at recess and lunch time and pretty quite the rest of the time. Dm's experience is unfortunate but as ststed it can be remedied by speaking with the principal. Allot would on your tolerance to noise and whether or not you were home during the day.
Summertimes are great because it's very quiet.
Dm, Home Buyer, Somerville, MA
Mon May 26, 2008
We got a school next door to our home a couple of years ago. We expected a lot of noise and vandalism, and got a bit of noise and a bit of vandalism. Our cars all got keyed, we found fast food trash in the street, grafitti appeared on our walls, and random kids would loiter in the doorway of our condo building. We spoke with the principal about all of this on a couple of occasions and I have to say it has subsided. The noise is there during the day, but after hours it's fine, as the school is closed.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Mon May 26, 2008
In general, it's considered desirable to be close (walking distance) to a school. That's especially true if the school is considered a desirable one. And you don't have to worry about your kids (if you have some) missing the bus.

On the other hand, you may have lots of kids tromping across your lawn. You may have a lineup of buses belching fumes twice a day. You may have clogged traffic in front when there's a school play, or back to school night, or a sporting event.

Some food for thought.