What are the pros and cons of living literally next door to the highschool (can see parking lot from kitchen)?

Asked by myunivid, Minneapolis, MN Thu Apr 18, 2013

Answers

6
Terry Farnsw…, Agent, Lisle, IL
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Well - it depends on the buyer.

Pros include: Easy access to the school for parents who have, or will have high school age kids in the future, can be a big plus. No driving them to school, or rushing them out of bed in the morning to make the bus. It's especially a plus if the school is highly regarded.

Some cons can include the following:

1. Is the property situated in a place that allows access to the rest of the neighborhood? Is it fenced? The reason I ask is the potential of multiple kids "cutting through" your property to get home.

2. Will both parents be working? Does the school have an "open lunch" policy? If so, your house might turn into the one where all the kids "hang out" during their lunch hour if no one will be there.

3. Be prepared to have some potential loud Friday nights during football season. My parents lived a 1/4 mile from a high school, and you could hear the loudspeakers clearly.

Just some things to think about...Hope this helps!
Russ Douville, , Saint Paul, MN
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Being by the High School/Junior High in St Anthony Village has the advantage of also being close the the police department, fire department, community center, and shooping. It's not a huge school when compared to other metro high schools, but there is a good amount of vehicle traffic right before and right after school. If you have, or plan to have kids, they'll have easy access to the schools. If you don't have kids, but want help with shoveling, yard work, or other chores, there are a bunch of good, hard working, teens nearby.
myunivid, Home Buyer, Minneapolis, MN
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Thank you everyone. I had a sense of the higher traffic at the rush hours but I heard other negative issues such as more garbage in the yard, having teens around the neighborhood that might not be on their best behavior and gather to smoke or drink after school, bells, fire drills, sports etc this particular one is a great school but I am not sure if that changes any of the cons I mentioned.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Apr 18, 2013
Your children will have no excuse for being late for school.

You can expect excessive traffic at the beginning and end of the school day and for special events. There is normally a higher degree of police visibility in these areas as well.
Christina Ha…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Morristown, TN
Thu Apr 18, 2013
I found this ad regarding home values and schools..

here is the link

http://money.msn.com/home-loans/weird-stuff-that-hurts-home-…

Hope that helps..

Christina Solorzano
Tom Sommers, Agent, Lakeville, MN
Thu Apr 18, 2013
That really depends on the school. Is it an elementary school? Some buyers like to live that close to the school. Its not always a bad thing.

Best of luck,
Tom