Melmo, Home Buyer in Stevensville, MT

What are the laws regarding raising cows/chickens/sheep etc on private property in Ravalli county? We would like to buy a house on about 10 acres and

Asked by Melmo, Stevensville, MT Thu Mar 8, 2012

basically have our own homestead, with a cow for milk, chickens for eggs, a sheep for wool, etc. Where we currently live, this is allowed almost anywhere as long as you have enough acreage per animal, and proper fencing, but we are interested in moving to the Bitterroot valley.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


ermatinger100, , Stevensville, MT
Tue Mar 5, 2013
look in the listing for the house info Thanks
1 vote
ermatinger100, , Stevensville, MT
Tue Mar 5, 2013
640 Arnica Dr. 9.77 acres, fruit trees, mature shade trees, guest house, gravity fed irrigation system, currently enrolled in the Ravalli county farm land program. Normally in 8.5 acres of alfalfa, rotated with grains occasionly by the farmer managing the farmed acres.
Beautiful chicken house with electricity, 3 grow beds with plastic framing & fans for air circulation when covered with plastic for seasonal growing. Corner lot on a no exit road, so only resident traffic to 3 other houses.
1 vote
David O Blac…, Both Buyer And Seller, Preston, ID
Sat Oct 20, 2012
Due to the death of my wife her estate has a home for sell in stevensville, mt. it is on 12.275 acres has a 3760 sqft 4 bedroom 3.5 Bathroom metal shop. it will be list soon by the excertor. It can be sold " as is " but you will have to contact Manon Brown in Shelton, WA. The price will refllect the known or unknow problems it may have
1 vote
How do we contact Manon?
Flag Sat Sep 7, 2013
Dee, Home Seller, Illinois
Sun Jun 10, 2012
My home at 2833 Monndance Trail in Stevensville, MT (Ravalli County) is a perfect homestead--no covenants
I raised chickens and sheep on the property. There are horses on it now. It has gravity flow irrigation so there are no electric bills for pumping the water. The price of the home and barn include the irrigation pipes also.
But there is a fee to join the Willoughby irrigation district (one time $). The property is 12.45 acres. You do have to declare the amount of animals you raise on your property to the revenue dept. in Ravalli County it is not added on to your taxes,(Like other states like Missouri) and it is a minimal amount..
1 vote
Kevin Bailey, Agent, Missoula, MT
Mon Mar 12, 2012
The Bitterroot valley has many subdivisions with covenants that say you cannot have chickens. Ideally You would want to find a parcel that has "No Covenants". And, the problem is when you are searching it is not usually advertised that it has "No Covenants". I would recommend having a Realtor to do a search for you. On the buying side it doesn't cost you anything additional to work with a Realtor as commissions are typically paid from the seller.
Kevin Bailey
EXIT Realty Missoula
1 vote
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Stevensville Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more