What are the great neighborhoods to look at in Cedar Park area? Close to schools.

Asked by frontfoot, Cedar Park, TX Mon Dec 14, 2009

We have 3 kids. 14, 9 and 4. Moving to Austin from Dallas. Coming this weekend to Austin to drive around and look at some neighborhoods to get a feel for the neighborhoods.
We need a 4 bedroom (maybe 5) preferably all on one level, about 2800 sq feet. (We don't want a huge house)
The main thing is to have a walking friendly place and maybe bike to schools.
We plan to see around:
1) Cedar Park Middle school (next to High school too)
2) Vista Ridge High school (next to new R Reagan elementary)
3) Steiner Ranch (Laura Bush elementary and middle school)

Does anybody have any suggestions which neighborhoods to avoid?, which to see?. We'll have 3 or 4 days of driving around.
Thanks so much
(no, don't have an agent yet. And we'll be in the next 3 months for sure so no rush)

Answers

16
Di Anne Warl…, , 78613
Tue Dec 15, 2009
The only problem I can see (down the road several years) is with the Steiner Ranch neighborhood. They currently do not have a High School nearby. Those kids are bused to Cedar Park HS which is several miles away. I personally live near Forest Oaks and Silver Oaks and I really like the lay out of that neighborhood. I always see parents walking or riding thier bikes with thier kids on Park Street. Tanya has is right when she says there is an elementary, middle and high school withing minutes of that neighborhood. And there are several County parks nearby off of Brushy Creeek Road. I have lived in Cedar Park since 1998 and have seen it grow up. Both of my children went to school and graduated from the high schools. Leander ISD really has their stuff together. The teachers are really involved and for the most part, so are the parents. Town Center is a good family neighborhood but the problem is they do not have a middle school or high school within bike riding distance. But it does have the new CP amenity center located within the neighborhood. It's kind of like a YMCA but build and maintained by the city.
Have a safe trip and if you need anymore Cedar Park information from someone who lives here and loves it, just let me know. I'm here to help however I can!

Di Anne Warlick
Benchmark Mortgage
512.782.8202
Tanya Biliso…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Dec 15, 2009
I would look at Silver Oak, Forest Oaks which is right next to Vista Ridge HS; great neighborhood and depending on where you lived in the subdivision, you could walk to all 3 schools (R Reagan, Henry MS and Vista Ridge HS). Located just minutes from grocery store, banks, restaraunts, the new shopping center at 1890 Ranch, movie theatre, hospital and 183 toll road. Many parks nearby too, very family friendly area. The community has 3 parks, 2 pools and walking trails.
Jeffrey Nyla…, , Austin, TX
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Hello FF,

I hope you are having a great day! By the way, can I borrow your gas card? Ha! Anyway, all of the areas you mention are some of the very best in Cedar Park. Cedar Park is still one of the hottest and popular areas around. With great schools, major thoroughfares, great shopping/dining, Lake Travis/Hill Country and even hockey all nearby, Cedar Park is a winning find indeed!

I really cannot think of an area in Cedar Park to "avoid". You know that the area you decide to favor will be based on your taste and price point. It sounds like you have a plan to get familiar with the area. It also sounds like you know a great buyer's agent can assist you (find homes per your criteria, show you property, write up paperwork, oversee closing, etc) for free. Please do not forget the $8000.00 tax credit (homes must be under contract by April 30th and closed by June 30th) IF you qualify!

All the best!
Web Reference:  http://www.NylandTeam.com
Lloyd Potts, , Georgetown, TX
Tue Dec 15, 2009
You should also check oout The Preserve @ Gann Ranch!
It is the only sub-division that has private pedestrian acccess to the new Veteran's Park it is a 47 acre park in the making, it has a brand new pool with water feature. the schools are excellant ! Knowels elementary and Running brushy are great! Lots of parental involvement. Really safe neighborhood and minutes away from shoppoing and 183A!
Native Texan…, , Cedar Park, TX
Sat Feb 28, 2015
Cedar Park is one big strip mall with the old central part of town that looks like something out of the movie "The Day After". Expect to pay at least $350,000 for a 4 bedroom home in Cedar Park, TX and add to that another $8,000/yr. property taxes. Yes, Texas doesn't have a State income tax, but it has the second highest property tax rate in the nation! The sales tax is also at least 8.25% (varies town to town). There is no sense of community, the schools are not that good (especially in the Sciences, which I'd say is almost non-existent), the whole push in education is to graduate in the top 10% of your class, when it's mathematically impossible and pass the TAKS test in order to graduate, alot of bullying from native Texas kids in the schools and people LOVE to get in your business here. I'm a native Texan and relocated to Ann Arbor, MI for 6 years for a move up in my company, then moved back here. It was the worst mistake I ever made in my life, as the quality of life was so much better in Ann Arbor and we actually had friends.
Le Green Sch…, Agent, Anderson Mill, TX
Thu Sep 13, 2012
Real Estate professionals cam answer questions about homes available that match the sguare footage, price, style,
The can tell you which neighborhood have golf courses of neighborhood pools.
They cannot make neighborhood suggestions based on judgements like "good"...that comes under "steering", and is a violation of fair housing laws.
They cannot direct you to neighborhoods of homes based on "familial status" for the same reason.
FYI, Texas does not allow dual agency. Realtors either represent you, the buyer, or they represent the seller. Either way, any seller using the MLS has agreed to pay a commission to the buyers agent.
Cynthia Bell, Agent, Cedar Park, TX
Fri Sep 3, 2010
Cedar Park is a great place to live. My family lives near Vista Ridge and we've been really happy. I think once you drive around you will see what a great place it is.

If your family likes places to walk and bike Cedar Park has many parks to choose from. Recently Brushy Creek park added a skateboard area and Milburn Park has a BMX area.

http://cedarparkcitizen.com/2010/07/13/local-bikers-building…
Cogico, , Cedar Park, TX
Mon Apr 12, 2010
We live in Arbors at Gann Ranch North of New Hope off of Lakeline Blvd. There is a very nice Austin stone house on the corner lot for sale across the street from the amenity center on Nan Lane. My son rides his bike to Knowles Elementary. It is a great neighborhood and I love all the play area for my son with the park and amenity center. The new Veterans park is just a bike ride away. Hope this helps!
Ren, Both Buyer And Seller, Cedar Park, TX
Sat Apr 10, 2010
Hey...We live in Deer Creek Ranch in Cedar Park and we LOVE it! We have 3 kiddos too. 12, 9 ,and 6. We love the area because you can walk or bike too all three schools, there are two pools in the neighborhood, a couple blocks to golf, and up the street from a ton of shopping. Easy freeway access and very friendly nieghborhood with a ton of kids! I think there are some better areas than others in cedar park. And you should definately drive around and check out the neighborhoods. Good luck!
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Dec 16, 2009
Fair Housing Laws prohibit a real estate professional from answering specifics--do your own homework first to make sure your level of comfort is reached.
frontfoot, Home Buyer, Cedar Park, TX
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Hi Di Anne.
I have considered Steiner Ranch too and yes, our oldest would have to get on the bus to Cedar Park HS.
I was also told they are building a new HS at 2222 and McNeil but that's still few years away.

Hi Don,
Yes, I see Silver Oaks has some nice houses and the short distance to all 3 schools is really great.

And see Anna has the best non-answer.
Buyers House…, , Texas
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Frontdoor,

Good afternoon. Congrats on moving your family to Austin. I attached a Web Reference link below, of 2 homes that meet your specific criteria of a home in Cedar Park. You can also tailor your own free searches at http://www.Buy75.com. I am sure you will find the school info and the searches quite helpful.

Also keep in mind that BuyersHouseRealty is the virtual evolution of real estate and we firmly believe in buyers education. So much so, we pay our buyers for their education. Learn more>>> http://www.BuyersHouseRealty.com

Happy House Hunting,

Gavin St.Louis
Managing Realtor
BuyersHouseRealty
"Why Buy Any Other Way?"
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Dec 15, 2009

I am a Realtor and mortgage broker in Cedar Park. I actually live in Forest Oaks about a mile away from the schools you mentioned above. This is truly a great community and I have enjoyed living here for the past 5 years. Homes range from over 10 years old to brand new so there is a very good selection to choose from in all different price ranges ranging from the low 200's to the high 300k range. Next to Forest Oaks is Sliver Oaks and those are all relatively new homes build in the past 2-3 years or less.

If you would like any additional information please do not hesitate to contact me regardless of your time frame. I wish you the best of luck with your relocation to Austin.

Don Groff
Realtor | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams | 360 Lending Group
512-633-4157 | dgroff@kw.com
http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference:  http://dongroff.com
Jarrod Atter…, , Houston, TX
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Hey there, I was recently in Austin myself contemplating a move and worked with a wonderful Realtor. I'm a Realtor myself, so it was refreshing to see someone that knew the perfect neighborhoods based on my needs and was knowledgeable about the schools etc. You should definitely contact someone that knows the up and coming neighborhoods as well as the schools and pros and cons of living in those areas as well in terms of traffic, noise etc. I found a few great houses that appeared to be great and he would make notes on my selections like "great house and neighborhood, but its about 200 yards from the highway" and sure enough I did my own drive by and everything he said was on the mark. I'm not sure about my move quite yet, since some new developments have happened work wise for me here in Houston, but Austin is a great city and I'm sure ya'll will find it a great place to live. If you're interested in talking with that Realtor his name is Richard Cain and his website is http://www.cainsellsaustin.com and his contact info is on there but his cell is 512.589.6975. Happy Holidays $ Good luck!

Jarrod Atteridge
Boulevard Realty
713.677.4410
jarrod@yourblvd.com
frontfoot, Home Buyer, Cedar Park, TX
Tue Dec 15, 2009
FOLLOWUP 2:
oops. clicked too early on the previous post.

Hi Jeffrey, Thanks for reminding me about the tax credit.

Hi Lloyd, added the Glenn Ranch to our list of places to visit.

frontfoot, Home Buyer, Cedar Park, TX
Tue Dec 15, 2009
FOLLOWUP:
Hi Tanya. Thanks, I visited Forest Oaks last month and drove around a bit there. nice place. ( I guess Silver Oak is just next door east of there next to new RR elementary).
Thanks for your answer