What are the boundaries for air traffic noise - It seems all the houses I like fall in the flight path.?

Asked by Kittie Aldakkour, Severna Park, MD Sat Jul 12, 2008

large lot, 250 - range

Answers

20
Robin Hooks, Home Buyer, Tucson, AZ
Tue Jul 29, 2008
It's been a while since I lived in SA, but I grew up in an area called Terrell Hills and don't remember there being a lot of noise from the airplanes. Terrell Hills is in the heart of San Antonio and is in the Alamo Heights school district, which has always been considered by many to be one of the best school districts in SA. It does have it's draw-backs but don't they all. Other areas for that school district include Alamo Heights and Olmos Park.
Kittie Aldak…, Home Buyer, Severna Park, MD
Mon Jul 28, 2008
I am looking for homes in a few areas, mostly determined by school district boudaries. I like the Elm Creek /Colonies North area, east of 10, south of Heubner, north of Callaghan and west of Lockhill Selma. Howsman school district, and the Colonies North Whispering Oaks neighborhood. Nice established homes, bigger lots, trees. I am also going to look in the Braun Station triangle. My husband will be working at LAFB, though we are not military. (anymore) I may end up in Pleasanton, Tx, - but gas and electricity prices could kill that deal. I want to hear the birds chirping when I am outside, not 18 wheelers or airplanes screeching overhead. People have been great here with their responses
Angry Reside…, , White Settlement, TX
Mon Jul 28, 2008
I live in the White Settlement area and I totally understand. I hope you do not move to the area because you will hate it. When you think it is getting better it only gets worse. I work at night and sleep during the days and those loud jet engines shake my windows and wake me up every time. I have lived in the area all of my life and have hearing problems due to the noise. If you have children please do not move to the area because you are risking their hearing and their health. I would like to form a protest against the planes because they are really a nuisance that no one should have to put up with. It’s the naval base and shouldn’t they be on the ocean any ways? I wished I knew the answer to your question and if you find out please let me know. One of our brilliant mayors brought the naval base here from Dallas because the residents were complaining there about noise pollution and he is the one to blame. I would like to see the naval base either get shut down due to funding or for them to go back to Dallas. I am going to move from Trash Settlement when I get the money. You think with the gas crisis that they would stop wasting all of that fuel.
Sun Jul 20, 2008
Thanks Pauline,

I am going to check it out.
Pauline, Both Buyer And Seller, San Antonio, TX
Sat Jul 19, 2008
I live in Mission Ridge off Blanco and we hardly ever hear planes
Josh M. Boggs, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Tue Jul 15, 2008
Kittie,

You're so very welcome! We are here to serve!

God bless and best of luck!

Josh
Web Reference:  http://www.eXposedhomes.com
Tue Jul 15, 2008
Steve, thank you for sharing your knowledge of the area with me. This site has been very helpful and informative thanks to the professionals who take time to answer questions like mine. A priceless resource!
Steve Malino…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Regarding trees, most builders have learned their lessons and don't cut down any unnecessary trees when building. That being said, the good, highly treed lots, are always the first to go. BIG, shade trees, though, are difficult to find. Lots of smaller, live oaks, but very few tall shade-type trees, like maples, etc.

1/4 acre to 1/3 acre will be tougher. In your price range, you'd probably have to get a "lot premium". Even with a lot premium, you're unlikely to get a full 1/4 acre.

for your price range, typical lot will be 75-80 ft wide, 120 feet deep or so. The lot size you indicate would probably need to be an "estate" style house, and it might stretch your 250K intended budget.

Check out the website below - it is for Medallion Homes - a popular local builder. This neighborhood is pretty well centrally located, while being out of the air patterns, and not too far from the aforementioned Braun Station.

Feel free to contact me, and I can get you in on a buyer's automatic MLS search, so each time a home comes up for sale that you might be interested in, it'll be emailed to you automatically.
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Thanks Josh and Steve - I will focus my attention on those areas. I have heard that they don't leave many, if any trees standing in the new construction areas. Big shade trees are a necessity for South Texas. One of the reasons I tend to like older established neighborhoods. I thought about Alamo Ranch - but if it is like what I saw of Stone Oak - tiny lots big houses.... I want at least 1/4 or 1/3 acre if I can get it. What about the Geronimo neighborhood next to the Govt. park? I also worry about flooding in areas on the West side.
Josh M. Boggs, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Hi Kittie,

Sounds like you've been faced with a small dilemma about moving home to San Antonio? However, the NorthWest is vastly growing and becoming the next bigger Stone Oak. The area that Steve has mentioned in Alamo Ranch is spectacular and it is almost entirely outside of the boundaries for routine air traffic. Now, Lackland does fly the gigantic C5 Galaxy (the thing is soo huge it looks like it just barely moves in the air) around a a large test and routine practice pattern, but you usually aren't bothered by the noise around that area as they are usually at a much higher altitude.

Braun Station is also a great area. There are great neighborhoods all over that area that don't receive much if any air traffic. I also live very close to Alamo Ranch and so I have noticed that I don't get to do any plane watching anymore like I used to when I lived by Churchill Estates.

By the way.. if you want a finer gated community around that area.. check out FineSilver. That neighborhood is a great Pulte, Medallion neighborhood w/ trees, park, pool and alot to offer.
Steve Malino…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Braun Station is a nice, established area. Homes there are a bit below your price range, though. There might be a little bit of Air Force air traffic, but not much. I live in Westover Hills, and they fly over us a few days a week. I don't suspect you'll get that kind of air traffic in Braun Station.

I work in that area frequently. If you need some assistance, feel free to ask. My email is stevemalinoff@aol.com. Remember, you won't have to pay me - the seller in a transaction in Texas pays the commission for both the seller's realtor and the buyer's realtor.
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Steve, thanks for the direction. I guess I will have to live in Pleasanton, 30 miles South of S.A. to avoid all the air noise. What about that triangle area Braun Station, bordered by Bandera Rd, 1604 and Braun Rd? Anything negative about that area? Or directly below between Braun Rd and Guilbeau Rd. I have seen some homes there I like.
Steve Malino…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Jul 14, 2008
I forgot to mention. My favorite newer area of town is in the far NW, called Alamo Ranch. It's a brand new, master planned subdivision, that is only 1 year into what will be a long term build. Once complete, there is supposed to be approx. 11,000 homes out there. All various price ranges, styles, sizes, etc. Your price range, 250K, should be able to get you a great place out there.

Give me a call, when you are ready to look, and I'll be happy to show you around that area.
Steve Malino…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Jul 14, 2008
All that have responded have been correct. And, unfortunately, all of the Churchill Estates / Huebner area is in that flight path. If you go further north, outside of 1604, the noise lessens, but is still there a bit. But up there, the bigger problem is traffic.

Where I live, in the NW by Sea World, the commuter jets aren't an issue, but the Lackland AFB jets are. That being said, military jets fly so fast that the noise quickly dissipates.

In the NE, you often see trainers flying around Randolph Brooks AFB, so it's not much better out there than it is for those near Lackland.

If you go a bit further west than churchill estates, you may be able to get out from under that approach area. Closer to I10, maybe into the medical district. The area isn't quite as nice as churchill estates, though. Try the area off of Vance Jackson, N of DeZavala. Nice neighborhoods in there, that shouldn't have too much of the air noise...

if I can help, give me a call, 210 521 0068
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Severna Park is in Md, where I currently live. It is a very nice expensive old neighborhood spoiled by the air noise. I have lived here a year and a half and am not "used" to it - We are moving home, to Texas and I am able to choose where I will live, so I want to choose wisely. If you were to draw a circle with the airport being the center, how far out do you have to be, for the airplanes to be high enough that the noise is not going to disrupt a cell phone conversation outside, or an outside conversation. I don't want to have to deal with it, or learn to live with it, I want to avoid it. Is 1604 a good boundary line for that or are there areas inside 1604 and outside 410 that noise will not be an issue? I have seen the flight patterns and been to the airport website. What neighborhood with a 4 or 5 star school would you direct me in that area, to avoid the noise?
Josh M. Boggs, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Sun Jul 13, 2008
Just a quick addition to back up Karen's comments:

Being a HUGE aviation junkie myself and aspiring pilot; Karen is correct in mentioning that if you are going to be living under a heavy traffic pattern; make sure it's in a predominately down-wind location as to you will have mostly landing traffic to deal with.

Here in San Antonio, KSAT has a predominately used runway 12 R as the landing runway. I used to live along Blanco road and Wurzbach and was right under 12 R's approach. Although the aircraft noise definitely becomes something of second nature after a while... for me it was always a thrill to try to play "name that plane" as I listen and detect different engine sounds and pitch to figure out which kind of plane was on final. (After 4 years, I was about 90% accurate! :)
Web Reference:  http://www.eXposedHomes.com
Karen Shrock…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sun Jul 13, 2008
The FAA regulates noise levels from aircraft. If you are in an area with a lot of military flight activity, you are probably out of luck. National defense issues fall into a special category from commercial and non-commercial air traffic. If you contact your local airport board, they should be able to supply you with information on the topic.

I was over in the White Settlement area of Fort Worth one sunny afternoon several years ago. It was close to the NAS and the jets were practicing their take-offs and landings. The amount of noise and activity was unbelievable, but it was fascinating to watch; however, I would not choose to live in that area just because of the noise.

Perhaps you remember the days after 9/11 when all but military planes were grounded? It was really an odd feeling to see no airplanes taking off or landing at DFW. The quiet was pleasant, but the mood was eerie. I remember on fly over of a military jet on patrol that was reassuring. It has taken years for the volume of air traffic at DFW to return to the levels before that day.

Even if you didn't like Lynn's reply, it is true. After a time, the noise just blends into the background. I, too, live under one of the landing patterns of DFW. It seems to be the one they prefer when there is bad weather to the west. During my first couple of months in this house, we had some very stormy nights when it sounds as I lay in bed as though the planes were going to land on the house. I finally had to decide that I might as well relax and sleep instead of waiting for one to fall on me. I'd just as soon be sound asleep if that happened. In ten years, it hasn't yet.

Because it is one of the landing patterns, we do not have constant fly overs. It seems to be mostly in the evenings and during bad weather. It isn't deafening and it doesn't rattle the windows. I've lived across from train tracks as well, and that noise just fades away after a time or you learn to set your clock by the train schedule.

So, my message is to find a realtor who understand your concerns and knows about the air traffic issues in your area. A realtor who is also a licensed pilot who be a good choice. If you are set on that particular area, you're just going to have to learn to deal with the noise. That mountain is not going to move, so you're the one who is going to have to move.
Josh M. Boggs, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Sun Jul 13, 2008
Hi Kittie,

Congrats on your decision to purchase here in one of the top real estate markets in the country!

Ok, here's the scoop on the "plane problems":

The most unfortunate thing about being a non-aviation lover and living in San Antonio is that San Antonio is absolutely bursting at the seems with airports being that it holds a LARGE military presence here and boasts several small regional airports scattered all over.
I believe that there is currently noise ordinances in place for all the airports and I can assure you that everyone is abiding by them if they are as their are tough penalties in place if they are not. Usually these ordinance refer to how much throttle, altitude and other flight characteristics pilots can take off and land with.

Your title mentions "Severna Park" as a place where you are looking. I'm not familiar with that subdivision, but if you would like there is a way for me to show you the main flight paths and where the certain subdivisions abide by or of course your current Realtor should be able to pull up the flight charts and show you as well.

Hope that answered your question a bit more.
Sun Jul 13, 2008
Thanks 911, that wasn't really helpful. I live in Severna Park, in the landing pattern of BWI, and the noise is very disruptive. While looking at homes in NE San Antonio, we heard several planes screeching overhead from where we were, Churchill area, Hidden Forest area. I need to know if you can live in that area and not be bothered by the plane noise when sitting outside.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sat Jul 12, 2008
I live on the lip of DFW airport frankly never hear the jets, if you think about it there is alot of noise pollution.
http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com