Home Buying in Safety Harbor>Question Details

Arlene, Other/Just Looking in Durham, NC

What are the best quaint and safe neighborhoods in Safety Harbor to buy? Also, Insurance question

Asked by Arlene, Durham, NC Fri Mar 13, 2009

Looking for vintage or contemporary style home for a 2nd home. I don't want to spend over 150,000.
Another question: Friends tell me the insurance for Florida homes near water is outrageous. Is this true?
Thanks so much!

Answers

2
Arlene, there are numerous factors determining the cost of insurance such as date of construction, wind mitigation status, construction type, style of roof, in/out of flood zone.
Safety Harbor is a very nice community with a rich arts and culture history. You can find information about events in Safety Harbor on the community web site http://www.MyDunedin.com
Safety Harbor and Dunedin are very similar as evidenced and very active downtown cores, Gulf of Mexico or Tampa Bay waterfronts and loads of public access to the water and numerous parks. For the active citizen both of these communityes is a very special paradise.
Give a call for more information of video tours. Annette 727.709.1452
Web Reference: http://www.mydunedin.com
Hi Arlene,

I've lived in Safety Harbor for almost 20 years & have been a Realtor here since 2002 so I'm very familiar with the area & the market. The crime statistics are extremely low compared to both the overall county and state. You can see for yourself by going to - http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Safety_Harbor-Florida/ . There are very few "iffy" neighborhoods overall.

Any insurance questions that you have can be answered by a very knowledgeable insurance agent that I've used several times in the past. His name is Michael Economos with A American Insurance in Dunedin, FL. His number is 727-733-9381. You can tell him that I referred you to him. In general, if you live on the water or in very close by in an area with low elevation, it's necessary that you buy flood insurance in addition to your regular homeowner's hazzard insurance. This usually adds several hundred dollars to your insurance costs for a modestly priced house like you're talking about buying.

I just had a very cute little house I had listed close last month that was located in great location about 4 blocks from Main St in the downtown area. It sold for $150,000 to a couple from WV who are going to use it for a second home. For winter or part-time residents, like you, sticking close to downtown makes the most sense because that is where most of the restaurants, shops, marina, etc. are located.

If I can be of any further help, please e-mail me or give me a call. My contact information & website are below.

Jim Moran
Broker Associate/Realtor
Prudential Tropical Realty
W 727-799-2227 ext 223 C 727-278-4711
E-mail: jimdmoran@tampabay.rr.com