What are the best neighborhoods in Port Charlotte, FL?

Asked by Philly Buyer, Port Charlotte, FL Sun Jul 12, 2009

We are looking to buy a second home in Port Charlotte, FL so that we can be closer to family who live in the Port Charlotte area. We've just put an offer in on a house in the "new york" section of Port Charlotte but someone had mentioned that we should look at "section 15" of Port Charlotte. Does anyone know that neighborhood? Where exactly is it located? Is section 15 better than the new york area? Please be brutally honest if either area isn't desirable. Thanks!

Answers

10
Michael D. G…, , Punta Gorda, FL
Wed Jul 29, 2009
Port Charlotte Section 15 is a very desirable area due to the freshwater lakes and proximity to the Interstate interchange (location, location, location). However, that convenient location also makes the area vunerable to crime off of the interstate (crooks from other towns drive the interstate looking for opportunity).

The New York Section is an older area of Port Charlotte, but is in close proximity of the Port Charlotte Country Club. Overall, the homes are older, but newer homes are intermixed. Remember, Hurricane Charley went through these areas in 2004, so at a minimum, all these homes have new paint jobs. A lot of homes were ccompletely gutted and rebuilt.

While we have some local crime (read home grown), the stats in Charlotte County are considerably lower than surrounding communities.
tonyarmento, , 90020
Sun Oct 6, 2013
Why is it even called the new york section? I know the streets are named after sections of new york but originally what was some reason the city of port Charlotte decided to have one particular area called the new york section....sounds like like red lining to me...where is the Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc,etc sections?......sounds like like red lining to me and only wanted people from to new york to relocate in this area...
Philly Buyer, Home Buyer, Port Charlotte, FL
Wed Jul 29, 2009
Thanks to all of you for your answers ... but especially Mr. Goff who gave me the type of information I'm looking for - just a simple, personal evaluation of both areas (water/sewer availability, newer vs older homes, etc.) Thanks again!
Michael D. G…, , Punta Gorda, FL
Wed Jul 29, 2009
I'm not sure how an agent from MD, is familar enough with Florida Real Estate Law, much less Port Charlotte to give an legal opinion, unless he is also a lawyer. Maybe he lives in Maryland and holds a Florida Real Estate License, go figure.

The neighborhood of any area can be described utilizing demographics or locational characteristics, it is a requirement of any appraisal, and a major contributor of value . That is not redlining or steering. I did not see any responses that meet the definition of redlining or steering.

Redlining is defined as "the reluctance of lendors, investors, or insurers to make loans, invest, or issue insurance on usual terms in a particular geographic area because of some feature or characteristic in the area which is perceived as adversely affecting the utility or security and hence the value of individual parcels of property in the area." Taken from Real Estate Appraisal Terminology, revised edition.

John's comment is his professional opinion, he's welcome to it, but it isn't a correct response.
John Uribe, Agent, Waldorf, ME
Wed Jul 29, 2009
Carolyn Hawkins has given the only professional and legally correct answer. It IS against the law for a licensed real estate sales person to characterize a neighborhood as good or bad. Remember redlining and steering? That's the legacy of "good" and "bad" neighborhoods. So do ALL your homework and decide what about a neighborhood, besides the house you want, makes it best for you.
Jan Fanstill, , Port Charlotte, FL
Wed Jul 29, 2009
Now is a great time to make the move! With some many choices, it is a difficult decision. Section 15 has newer homes built since the late 1980's to today and has public water and sewer connections compared to other sections ofPort Charlotte. As the other agents have mentioned the answers to your questions are subjective and that checking out the area at different times and days will help you decide if the neighborhood is right you. Also if you want to check data on Charlotte County, check out the website below. It has links to the school district, visitors guide and more community information. It really depends on what you are really looking for in a neighborhood as to whether or not it is desirable for you! Good Luck in your new home purchase!
Elizabeth Bu…, Agent, Englewood, FL
Tue Jul 28, 2009
Absolutely near the water or on the water. I live near Punta Gorda Florida and the waterways are great and the City has come alive with federal dollars from Hurricane Charlie we have 800 new hotel rooms and great new eateries.
Carolyn Hawk…, Agent, North Port, FL
Mon Jul 13, 2009
When shopping for an area it is a good idea to do just that; visit the area, drive around, knock on neighbors doors around a home that you are interested in, go online & research statiscal information on the area -, crime reports etc. Legally...as a licensed real estate associate, I cannot tell you that a neighborhood is good or bad, I can give you specifics on schools, what is close by, when the homes were built in the neighborhood - general information. I hope this helps.

Carolyn Hawkins, Realtor Associate, Allison James Estates & Homes, Inc.
941-286-7717
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Jul 12, 2009
The desirability of a neighborhood relies so much on personal preferences that it is difficult to respond without including ones own values.

Our recommendation is to invest a couple of hours(from Ft. Myers) and visit the Port Charlotte area to arrive at your own conclusion......it may likely be the best!!!!!

Jason Stevens, , Englewood, FL
Sun Jul 12, 2009
Section 15 is located in East Port Charlotte near I-75. It is bordered by Orlando Blvd to the west, veteran's blvd to the north, loveland blvd to the east and peachland blvd. to the south.

Your question is subjective being its based on opinion not fact. Yes section 15 is a nice part of town but there are many others, I guess it all depends on who you ask. Long as you like the "new york" section of town which is also nice that's all that really matters. Are you under contract for the new york section house yet? If not and you want to take a look at whats available for sale in section 15 I'd be happy to send you listings. Just let me know...

Jason Stevens, REALTOR®, GRI, ABR
Real Estate Broker Associate
REOTrans Platinum Certified
Kevin Flynn Realty, Inc.
Cell - 941-662-0379
Email - jasonstevens@embarqmail.com
Home Office - 941-698-0973
Home Fax - 941-698-0973
Website: http://www.myfloridahomesmls.com/jasonstevens
Website: http://www.jasonestevens.com
Thank you all for the information.
Let truth be told and lets have more of it. I respect you more.
Flag Wed May 21, 2014
Just viewed this and have to say that it has been the mot unprofessional yet hysterical few minutes of my day to see two grown men (realtors) no less arguing over "legal terminology". Looks like you both lost a potential customer because of your egotistical attitudes.
Flag Sun Sep 1, 2013