What are the affluent areas in Raleigh to live?

Asked by CAmover, Sarasota, FL Sun Sep 1, 2013

Our family is considering a relocation to Raleigh, NC from the Bay Area, CA for my husband's work. We have two college aged sons that will be with us too. One is applying for colleges in NC and the other will be in grad school at Duke. We are looking for comparable neighborhoods to where we are now. This is what we are looking for:

* access to a good Country Club (golf, tennis or both)
* active social/neighborhood involvement
* friendly people
* strong community feel
* easy access to airport and Research Triangle
* water views (not mandatory)
* 4 bedrooms
* 3 bathrooms
* pool (room to put one in)
* large entertainment areas
* price range $800K to $1.3

What would be the best areas for us to focus on that meet our needs? What areas are most desirable and good for resale?

Thank you :-)

Answers

8
Pam Minore, Agent, Cary, NC
Sun Sep 1, 2013
I would suggest Cary, you can look at Preston and Lochmere. You might want to check our web site at Fonvillemorisey.com to get an idea. There are other areas such as Apex and Morissville. If you would like to e-mail me I can also send you some properties from our MLS.
Pam Minore
pminore@fmrealty.com
Ernie Behrle, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Sun Sep 1, 2013
There are many areas in the Triangle that would accomplish your goals and from what I know about California, you can most likely accomplish your goals without spending the money you are talking about. Given the areas you are speaking of, I would probably focus on neighborhoods such as Heritage, Brier Creek, Wakefield, Sunset Lake & Northridge. You may also find more independant homes on larger lots where access to country clubs would be more by choice than neighborhood. You may also wish to visit my website at http://www.RaleighHomeSite.com. I just had a new IDX link to the MLS installed which allows a more interactive search capability to include demographics of an area as well. Works a lot like the search tool on Trulia however I think it's even more rich in what you can research on than Trulia.

If I can be of any personal service to you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Ernie
Sharon Lewis, Agent, Garner, NC
Sat Sep 7, 2013
I lived in the Bay area in Silicon Valley and can help you compare both areas because I know both (my son was born at Lucille Packard) We relocated to the Preston area in Cary, which is a golf course community with easy access to fwys and the airport (ten minutes).Theres a lot to choose from here
Would be happy to speak with you via phone or email
thank you
Sharon Lewis
Keller William Realty
919.561.0411
I see a number of people recommending Chapel Hill, that could be a 20-30 minute drive.It would be like coming from Half Moon Bay to the SFO. Wake Forest same thing too long a drive. I would rather see you in the middle of things,location that would be similar to Burlington or San Mateo here.
Flag Sun Sep 8, 2013
Mark Civiok, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Fri Sep 6, 2013
My fiance relocated here from Los Gatos and can attest to the adjustments you may face, but in general this is a diverse area, geographically, culturally, and economically. Earlier responses have focused on areas of North Raleigh and Cary and the options there are plentiful.

You might also consider golf communities like Governors Club, the Chapel Hill Country Club area, Treyburn, and Croasdaile. Those areas offer older traditional styles as well as more current construction, so whether you like historic or contemporary homes, we have them here.

However, the social interaction you seek will more likely center around the community pools and golf club houses -most of the neighborhoods mentioned in these responses are not known for neighborhood block parties. Lake Hogan Farms is an exception and can offer you much of what you seek in the house and community.

Also, traffic here compared to the Bay Area will be laughable, but you will eventually adjust and find that a 30 minute commute is aggravating - something to look forward to!

The easiest way to learn about the area is to call or email me at 919-960-6332 or civiokm@hpw.com. I can set up a personal web site for you to access the MLS listings and we can discuss the significant differences in the neighborhoods mentioned in all these responses.
Hi Mark,

I grew up in Saratoga/Los Gatos. After years in NYC and SF, my husband and I move to LA. We've raised our three kids in an affluent LA suburb, but are considering moving to Raleigh. Done with the traffic and cost of living. We both work from home so commute is not a problem. Can you pick an area that is a lot like Los Gatos (sophisticated, historic and charming) and Brentwood/Pacific Palisades. Golf and tennis are a must. But we would also like a walking village like LG close by if possible. Historic is a huge plus. I also have plans to reopen my interior design business, so I would love the idea of being close to an area good for business. Oh, and my ideal is newer construction in an older established area.

Thanks!

Alexandra
Flag Thu May 14, 2015
Mike Jaquish, Agent, Cary, NC
Sun Sep 1, 2013
I would think first of North Ridge CC area.
You may also consider Wakefield CC and Hasentree.
Parts of Wakefield are in Raleigh, and parts are in Wake Forest.
Hasentree is in Wake Forest.

A search of the three neighborhoods, with homes from $800,000 to $1,300,000:
http://www.nohasslepropertysearch.com/idx/results/listings?t…

There is a lot of slow moving inventory in your price range, all around the area. And you may also find that you can get what you want by spending less than you would think.
.
.
Web Reference:  http://www.RealtyArts.com
Farrah Akhtar…, , Raleigh, NC
Sun Sep 1, 2013
With your price range, you have a lot available to you. Some of the more affluent areas include North Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary, Apex, and Fuquay Varina. Most of these areas have subdivisions where you will have access to a golf course, pool and tennis courts not to mention some other amenities.

As for the best resale value, I think that you will find that homes within a 15 minute commute from RTP (Research Triangle Park) would appreciate at a slightly higher value.
Linda Cromar…, Agent, Athens, GA
Sun Sep 1, 2013
The Hills of Rosemont is a unique community that many Realtors are not aware of...convenient to several country clubs, including the Chapel Hill Country Club. Very convenient to the airport and RDU.
Jay Sutton, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Sun Sep 1, 2013
North Ridge
Brier Creek
There's others, however these two will address majority of your items on this list. Hope this helps,

Outside of Raleigh consider
Heritage
Chapel Hill