What are the advantages of fresh water canals as opposed to sea water canals?

Asked by ednpaz, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV Thu Jun 20, 2013

is it a disadvantage? What is preferable in Cape Coral and why? Thank you!

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3115619644-1144-SW-26th-St-66…

Answers

12
Steven LeBoe…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Fri Jun 21, 2013
When considering gulf access property it is important to understand the boating route, time, distance and bridge clearances when determining property value. The only place this information is available for every gulf access property in Cape Coral is at http://www.FLGulfHome.com Just enter any Cape Coral address on the home page.

Steven LeBoeuf
Southern Premier Realty
239-848-8461
Steven@FLGulfHome.com
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Fresh water
Limited navigation
Salt Water, unlimited navigation

Fresh water
Water level stable except for seasonal changes
Salt water
Water lever changes signifcantly with the tide, four times a day.

Fresh water
Water lever willl rise during tropical storm
Satl water will have storm surge

Fresh water
Alligators and river otters
Salt water
Sharks and sun bathers

Fresh water
Neighbors or visitors trash floats to your waterfront
Salt water
Trash from distant Tsunami will eventually wash ashore

Fresh water
No oil rigs
Salt water
Still waiting for my BP claim ot be paid.

Preference....Salt water with a view. Explaination not needed.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Terry McCarl…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Fri Jun 21, 2013
You received some excellent answers here! I especially like Annette's response to your questions so thumbs up for her!

If you are considering purchasing property here in Cape Coral and would like a map that clearly shows you which waterways are freshwater and which waterways are gulf access as well as bridge locations feel free to contact me.

You can email me at leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net or give me a call at 239-707-4575 and I will be more than happy to mail you one. I have provided this map to numerous buyers over the years and they have all found it to be extremely helpful.
Randy and Vi…, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Fri Oct 31, 2014
Saltwater canals are more expensive than freshwater canals. In Cape Coral the vast majority of canals are saltwater that lead to the river and gulf. Most people prefer saltwater because freshwater canals have no such outlet.
Teri Zanella, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Wed Oct 29, 2014
Very Simply-Gulf access canals take you to open water/the gulf and command a higher price. Fresh Water canals are landlocked. However, they are very appealing as one can navigate the canals and often access many inland lakes.
Terry McCarl…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Mon Feb 17, 2014
Gulf access homes are more expensive as you can get out to the open waters where freshwater homes are land locked. I have lived on both and love freshwater as it is not as rough when boating - it is great for a nice smooth boat ride or fishing. Gulf access is great for access to wherever you want to go such as Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel etc...

It depends on you individually which you would prefer based on your lifestyle. If you want to just have a beautiful water view freshwater would be great for you. If you want to take boat trips to places to eat, go salt water fishing etc...you would need gulf access.

Feel free to email me at leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net or call me at 239-707-4575 with any other questions you may have. As a resident of Cape Coral for over 25 years I know the area extremely well and would be more than happy to assist you.
Barbara Klare, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Sat Feb 15, 2014
In Cape Coral gulf access is preferred. Gulf access property is for boaters. The closer access, with the least obstructions to the Gulf of Mexico are the higher the value. An advantage of a freshwater canal property is the price. Certainly it’s affordable. The freshwater canal lead only into each other (sometimes). The freshwater canal properties offer wonder nature and wildlife.
Robert Guth, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Thu Jan 30, 2014
One obvious advantage is that on average, you will pay quite a bit less for a fresh water canal home. Though there are lake areas where prices rival some salt water canal homes. Another advantage you have is choice in type of waterline requirements. On a salt water canal, you are required to have a concrete sea wall. With fresh water canals you have three options; sea wall, slope the yard into the water, or rip rap. Depending on the type of fishing you prefer, it could be a major advantage being on fresh water. If you prefer fresh water fishing, then you will be pleased with the miles of interconnecting fresh water canals and lakes. One crucial mistake some folks make, is that they will invest in a "Gulf Access Home", buying inland, and expecting to do a lot of open water boating or fishing. Then they find out that because of the speed limits, and maze of canals just to reach the river, it takes them an hour just to reach the Caloosahatchee River, and then another hour getting out into open water. Next, they stop boating as often, the boat stays on a trailer or their lift, and they lose interest. For some, its no big deal. But certainly something to anticipate before making such an important purchase. I've helped many folks buy homes on salt water canals who don't fish as much as they thought they would,simply because of the time and gas that is required to get out to the Gulf. I grew up swimming and fishing these waters. I know the canal system and Cape Coral like the back of my hand, so if you need any additional help, please ask.

Robert Guth, Alliance Realty Group
239-770-6741
floridarealestateexpert@gmail.com
http://www.argfl.com/50/Profile/3199
Adolfo "A.D."…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Wed Jan 15, 2014
Are you still looking for a waterfront property?
I have some wholesale priced properties I would be happy to share with you.

Adolfo "A.D." Diaz
239-872-7936
Talk to me Adolfo. I have several investors I work with.
Flag Wed Jan 15, 2014
David Lang, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Access access access!
Fresh-water canals systems are great for fishing, and cruising around the connected fresh-water canals within the cape. Also, having a great view from the rear exposure of your home.
Gulf-access canals gives you all of the above, with the ability to take your boat out to open-water.
Because of the access, gulf-access canal properties are typically valued higher than fresh-water canal properties. In addition, the value of a gulf-access lot changes with the location. The closer you are to open-water (shorter the boat ride) the higher the value. Also, whether you must travel under bridges on your trip out to open-water effects the value of the property. The existence of a bridge in your path may limit the size or type of your boat. In addition to these variables, there are deep-water and sailboat access canals as well that will appeal to certain boaters.
I hope this helps.

David Lang
239-677-8780

http://www.SWFloridaHomeSearch.com
Thank you David, Very helpful.
Flag Thu Jun 27, 2013
Debra Stack, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Hello

Freshwater canals in Cape Coral are landlocked meaning you can not access the gulf waters

Some of our freshwater canals offer routes to small lakes where you may be able to do some jet skiing and fishing... And other canals would offer a short boat ride through a few canals to perhaps just down one

It would be important to determine your intentions and discuss with a realtor.... A water map is essential when you are considering a home purchase

Prices of homes on freshwater will be less, apples to apples when compared to a home on gulf access canal

I am available to help you if you are considering a home purchase here... Feel free to contact me at 239-677-7186

All The Best

Debbie Stack
Sunshine Realty of SWFL
Ronald Wolch…, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Thu Jun 20, 2013
Hi ednpaz,

Lots of people asked that question. Sometime separating the 2 is hard.

Major difference, Gulf Access. Fresh Water will never take you to the gulf of Mexico.

Two, type of fish you can catch, if you love to fish.

Costs, Gulf Access home tend to be pricier.

Are my quick thoughts on the major difference. I actually wrote an article about it, Go to my weblog and it there:

http://www.rwolchesky.wordpress.com/

I think this is a direct link:

http://rwolchesky.wordpress.com/cape-coral/

You can also go to my web site: and sign up for free membership, where I set a search up for you, on the property you would consider buying, and you do not have to deal with all those you not interesting in.

Your membership gives you access to the same data base Real estate agent use daily and contain the latest home to him the market when they place on the market, and any price changes and status changes on a particular property. You can still do your own searching as well. It you have problems, you can call or drop me your information via email: realtorronw@yahoo.com You can try being the first on my new webpage not finish and join my team as well: http://realtorronteam.com

thank you ednpaz. Hope I been helpful to you, Happy home searching
Thanks!
Ronald (Realtor Ron W) Wolchesky
"Success is when we work together to achieve your GOAL!"
License in Florida
Home: 239-349-4684