Eaw2r, Home Buyer in 29483

What are the advantages of buying a home in the historical distric of summerville SC?

Asked by Eaw2r, 29483 Sun May 17, 2009

Answers

8
Darren Sweet, Agent, Charleston, SC
Tue Nov 19, 2013
Historic districts are often the charming sections of towns, particularly providing the small town atmosphere. Typically within walking distance of the local business district, while providing access to more modern conveniences.

While historic homes can be difficult to renovate as discussed below, there can be opportunities with lot availability for new construction to match the exterior architectural features, while providing all the modern conveniences.
Jim Bailey, Agent, Summerville, SC
Thu Nov 7, 2013
I wish I had seen this question last week. We live in the historic district, and I can say one of our favorite things about it is trick or treating. The streets are dark, flanked by old oak trees with creepy moss hanging down. The crowds are low, the pace is slow with the parents often stopping off at a friendly house or two along the way for a little adult socializing. It's just very small-town and old fashioned and exactly what you want when you buy into the idea of living in a historic area.
Krista Oakley, , Ladson, SC
Mon Nov 23, 2009
Buying a historical home can be a great decision. You need to understand all the aspects of it, but one major plus...you have a home that has already survived 50-100 years and will continue to survive while all these newer homes that weren't built with as much care will not still be standing. Older homes have alot of charm and character that these newer "cookie cutter" homes don't have.

I
Tressa, Both Buyer And Seller, Social Circle, GA
Sat Oct 31, 2009
Before you weigh out all of the advantages, think about the disadvantages...

Lead Paint
Asbestos
Mold Mildew
Non up to code wiring
Outdated plumbing

Just thought I would mention those things as I was in a historical home before
Jerry Crotty,, , Summerville, SC
Wed Aug 19, 2009
Besides the convenient and attractive location and the economic benefits of a sought after property, you get a hands on opportunity to participate in preserving the history and charm that makes Summerville a unique and inviting place to live.
Jeff Bowers, Agent, North Charleston, SC
Tue Jun 30, 2009
As a resident of the historical distirct of Summerville, I can tell you it is great to be able to walk or bike to restrauants, shopping, the farmers market, church, etc. Our kids grew up biking and running around town. It is just a different way of living compared to your typical subdivision.

Homes usually cost a little more. Most are older and maintenance can be a higher cost than new homes, but it's worth it.
Web Reference:  http://www.jeffbowers.com/
Pam Bass, Agent, Charleston, SC
Tue May 19, 2009
Hello Eaw2r,

The houses in the historical district of Summerville are usually in more demand and have a higher resale value than a house in a regular subdivision. It is nice to be able to walk or ride your bike into downtown to shop or eat at restaurants. Also the charm and character of the older houses are nice features for re-sale. However there are strict guidelines that you must follow to do any renovations to these historic homes. You can search for homes on the website below.
Teresa Cooper, Agent, N Charleston, SC
Mon May 18, 2009
Hello again, Eaw2r!

Typically, home values in an historic district tend to be higher than in a standard subdivision. In Summerville, there are about 700 buildings certified in the historic district. Strict architectural guidelines pertain to any renovations or changes to these structures. You can check out more information at these links:

http://www.charlestonsfinest.com/real-estate/summervillereal…
http://www.summerville.sc.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=…

The advantages? If you love history, and being a part of its preservation, then you would certainly enjoy owning a home and living in the Summerville historic district. That's certainly a lifestyle and quality of life advantage that you can't put a price tag on!

Again, call or email me if you have any other questions, or if I can assist you in your search.

Teresa