What are some tips for first-time home buyers?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Sun Mar 4, 2012

Can you share some of your top advice or tips for home buyers?

Answers

11
Paul Rosales, Agent, Wichita, KS
Thu Mar 8, 2012
Feel free to click on the included web reference to hear more insight about first time home buying
LeAnna Beat, Agent, Wichita, KS
Thu Mar 8, 2012
Work with an agent that likes and works with first time buyers. Have the REALTOR help you with understanding how to do an on line search, read the MLS information, and is willing to help you with understanding the terms, such as closing costs, pre=paids, contingency.
Web Reference:  http://leannabeat.com
Darrell Hess, Agent, Asheville, NC
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Figure out your financing or method of purchase first. Find a reputable consultant to help you through the process. When it comes down to finding a home, focus on what is most important to you in the purchase.
Web Reference:  http://timetomove.biz
Paul Rosales, Agent, Wichita, KS
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Nice blog Byron. Well done.:)
, ,
Mon Mar 5, 2012
Here is a great list to get you started at the link provided! The below are all great starting points and seem to be common in trend. To make it easy on yourself just go to http://www.homeloanswichita.com!
Paul Rosales, Agent, Wichita, KS
Mon Mar 5, 2012
YOU MAY BE ABLE TO COMBINE SOME OF THE PROGRAMS I MENTIONED!! Not all of the programs I refer to are city or state programs. Some involve non-profit orgs or other similar entities. There are a lot of programs out there that few know about. That means there is a lot of money available for first time home buyers. For example one of these programs just received enough funding to assist over 400 buyers!! Some have location restrictions while others have none. Some have income restrictions while others have no such income restrictions. Some agents or loan officers don't like dealing with such programs because they can cause delays in their commission check or they are not familiar enough with the wide variety of programs available for buyers. I & my loan officers, have no such reservations about such programs since they are very beneficial for our clients. I actually enjoy helping folks find & secure these funds. Many of these programs are relatively simple to apply for, while some take a little more effort. It's also important to have an experienced agent & loan officer who are comfortably familiar & enthusiastic towards such programs, as employing the wrong agent or loan officer can cause costly mistakes. Don't let a little extra effort scare you away from taking advantage of possible funds. I think you will find it well worth your time to utilize any number of the available programs. Some of these programs may even be combined to provide you with maximum benefit. Feel free to contact me to begin your path towards combining these various programs. 316-550-HOME(4663)

PS. I invite you to watch my real estate TV show called The Home Show. It's packed full of first time home buyer ideas & concepts. It airs on both cable and over the air TV channels several times a week.
Kim Smith-Ma…, Agent, Andover, KS
Sun Mar 4, 2012
Getting the "Funding" as listed in the answer below can be a little difficult .... you have to meet certain income guidelines / and / or the home must be located in a certain area. Some of this funding only comes available once or twice a year and it is first come, first served. A Good Agent/ and/ or Loan officer will Always direct you towards the Best type of loan that you can qualify for and help you with Any and All types of assistance programs you might qualify for. Actually you Don't even Need an Agent or a Loan officer for these programs ..... E mail / or call me and I will send you the links to the City / State and County programs so you can check them out for your self : ) Kim - 316 806 8060
Paul Rosales, Agent, Wichita, KS
Sun Mar 4, 2012
GET YOUR HANDS ON SOME FIRST TIME BUYER MONEY:) I agree with a lot of what the other agents mentioned. Above and beyond that, pick an agent who knows how to find you some first time home buyers money. I know of many programs specially designed to provide first time buyers with funds which can be used to pay for things like down payment, closing costs, pre-paid interest & other similar costs associated with buying a home. I KNOW OF PROGRAMS WHICH CAN PROVIDE YOU WITH UP TO EITHER $1500, $2500, $4000, $9000, 15% DOWN PAYMENT OR EVEN AS MUCH AS 20% DOWN PAYMENT FUNDS. With these programs you shouldn't have to pay it back so long as you comply with program guidelines.This is a lot of money to pass up. Call me to get started down the path to securing some of these funds for yourself. I ALSO KNOW OF ZERO MONEY DOWN PROGRAMS AVAILABLE TO VETERANS & NON-VETERANS ALIKE. If you want funds to redecorate, update, green up or rehab a home I know of those programs also. I can be reached at 316-550-HOME(4663)

PS. Many of the first time funding programs I referred to have limited funding, so act quickly to secure you piece of the pie.
Web Reference:  http://WichitasMLS.com
Cleve Smith, Agent, Wichita, KS
Sun Mar 4, 2012
Call me for a no obligation counseling session to determine the best approach to secure the most for your money. Cleve Smith-Broker. 40 yrs experience. 316-993-6365
Kim Smith-Ma…, Agent, Andover, KS
Sun Mar 4, 2012
The First Step is to get Pre Qualified with a Lender .... I recommend a Local Bank or Credit Union & if they have "in house under-writing" that will be a big + for sure! After you know How much you can afford.... then do your home work. On line is a Great way to start ... going to open houses too. Take your time finding an agent that is knowledgeable and you feel comfortable with ( Don't sign a Buyer agreement to work with a single agent too soon ) It is a Buyer's Market and there are good deals out there - But the "Good" ones are still going quick so if you really Love it ... Go for it ! Good Luck - Buying a home can be a little stressful .... there will be some bumps in the road : ) Don't get too stressed out or discouraged .... most issues that arise can be taken care of. Happy House Hunting !!!
Jim Sullivan, Agent, Meade, KS
Sun Mar 4, 2012
First and Foremost get approved for a Loan through a good Lender like Fidelity or Capitol Federal or other Local Bank.