What are some surprises that first-time buyers encounter when purchasing a home?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Thu Mar 1, 2012

Answers

2
Chris & Michelle Spalding’s answer
Chris & Mich…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Sun May 6, 2012
I remember clearly moving into my first 1200 sq ft home when I was 25. This may not apply to you, but heres some things that applied to me over 16 years ago. I realized I didnt own much furniture, and certainly not enough for a single family home! I had not planned for additional expenses after I had moved in, the first shock was window coverings, I had to spend over 2k on blinds. The next was landscaping, my home was new and I soon found out how easy it is to drop 5-10k even on a very basic yard. As far as the purchase itself, I had 5% down payment saved, and the transaction itself was very smooth, it was the after move in shocks that got me! Hope this helps!
Tina Lam, Agent, San Jose, CA
Mon May 7, 2012
First, it's probably the complexity of the purchasing process. Real estate is a notoriously complicated product that's tangled up in multiple layers of laws and rules.

Second, it's likely the high cost of financing (typical of non-cash, first-time buyers). All the closing and financing costs add up quick. Suddenly, property taxes and HOA dues become very real expenses when they need to be pre-paid.

Third, it's definitely the large initial cost of transitioning into a new home. With a brand new home, there's landscaping and basic window treatments necessary, as Chris mentioned. With a pre-owned home, there's lots of cleaning and maintenance items that start from the day you move in and never seem to end.

But, the privilege of customizing a home to exactly how you want it just makes all the trouble and expense feel worthwhile.
Web Reference:  http://www.archershomes.com