What are some of the more popular areas of Oklahoma City for young single professionals?

Asked by Kevin, Dallas, TX Sun Sep 4, 2011

Oklahoma City is one of two cities I have the option of moving to with my employer, and I was wondering what are some of the more popular areas for young, single professionals to live close to the city?
I'm a 27 year old male, and I enjoy living close to the city where there's always plenty to do. I don't necessarily want to be in a 'college' area, but I would like to live close to good restaurants and shopping, and have easy access to public transportation.
I've lived in a very nice condo for the last 2 years, and I think I'd prefer to continue living in a condo or townhome. I'm definitely not interested in living in the suburbs.
Thanks in advance.

Answers

19
Rick Jackson, Agent, Norman, OK
Sun Sep 4, 2011
Bricktown is ithe downtown area and there are a lot of clubs and restaurants. The Northwest Oklahoma City area also has a lot of things to do and Lake Hefer is near by. If you live close to one of the interstates,
Bricktown is only a short drive. Oklahoma City is a large area, but driving is nothing compaired to Dallas. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me or read some of my blogs to learn more about life and real estate in Oklahoma City.
Thanks for your question,
Rick Jackson
Sandra Daws…, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Thu Jun 21, 2012
This may not be the trendiest of places but I (Sandra Dawson's Assistant) live in northwest Oklahoma City. my Fiancee and I are 27 years old and we live just west of Lake Hefner. Now this isnt as trendy as some of the other places being said, but it also isnt as expensive. We are 10-15 minutes away from two different malls, have every kind of dining, close to parks and the lake, there is a comedy club, its not far to downtown, and the schools are GREAT. The matters because we plan on having kids soon! I hope this helps.
John Phillips, , Oklahoma City, OK
Mon Sep 5, 2011
Hi Kevin:
I still believe that Quail Springs condominiums are one of the best place in Oklahoma City and is away from all the noise and the busy traffic, Of course the down town ara is really growing, it all depends on your budget and what you want to invest in a condo, Most of these are single people. The Quail Condos are close to everything, You will be close to all shopping, close to all kinds of restraunts, major hi-ways, 15 minutes from Will Rogers airport. And as far as colleges, Thre is 2 within 5 miles, 3 other with in 10 mile, OSU is 30 mile, OU is approx. 35 miles,

Again
John Phillips
405 413 0791
Karen Moseley, Agent, Edmond, OK
Mon Sep 5, 2011
Where is your work site located? You can be across OKC in 30 minutes or less unless there is a backup for some reason. Much easier than Dallas. Do you want a garage, covered parking, reserved parking, older, newer, close to work, close to a church, etc? Just some of the criteria to ask about. A patio home would be a great option as well. They have garages, outside maintenance, pools, club houses you can rent for parties, patios for grilling or for a dog. I just sold one a couple of weeks ago. One last year. Both 3 bed, 2 bath, db garage. Under $160K.They love them.

Karen Moseley,
EXIT Bob Linn Real Estate
405-650-3548
John Phillips, , Oklahoma City, OK
Sun Sep 4, 2011
Hi Kevin:
Quial Springs Condominimuns is one of the places I would reccommend for you, they are close to everything, schools, shopping, dining, and yes singles, all clubs are near by and you are not stuck in all the downtown traffic, and they are not nearly as exspensive, there are others with in a few miles radius, but this is one I would highly reccomend:
Thank You
John Phillips
Re/Max Preferred Properties
405 413 0791
Vadim Smirov, Landlord, Oklahoma City, OK
Mon May 26, 2014
I purchased ten houses after living in OKC for a decade. These ten houses were all rented out quickly to young and fun people, mostly employees from Fortune 500 companies, college grades are established. These ten houses are all located in the Zip Code of 73112. North May and NW 50th ST, as north as N Grand not crossing Wilshire, as South as NW 40th ST. As East as Penn, As West as Tulsa ( I won't rent at Tulsa ST). With my experience, these areas are clean, safe, fun, there are restaurants, coffee shops, books stores, Targets, Malls, Home Depot, USPS Station, Hospitals, Lakes, Dog Parks, good schools, Organic foods stores, Sams Clubs, Chick Fill-A's. Major free ways are close by, very walkable, good for biking and running. In summer seasons, some of the houses that I listed for rent had ten showings per day. Some of them were rented out in one business day!

For friends that want to find a good place to live, please try zip code 73112 on the home search. Do houses instead of APT, its a lot more fun to have your own space and privacy. Why rent a studio in Brick Town and paying $1300 a month if you can have a 2 or 3 bed rooms house for 1000 to 1200. You can enjoy breakfast and BBQ in your own back yard. You are welcome to contact me for cool houses.
Leah Brown, Agent, Yukon, OK
Wed Feb 6, 2013
You've got lots of great feedback on this question! Bricktown, Lake Hefner and the Paseo are all great areas with lots of young people and things to do. I own a condo near 63rd and May (which I rent out), and there are a few really cool condo buildings around there with a nightlife scene. Founders Tower was recently renovated as a very trendy place to live as well.
Jarrett Cart…, Agent, Oklahoma city, OK
Wed Feb 6, 2013
I recommend you purchase a 3bed 2bath in the area you want. Maybe close to downtown. It will serve you as a great cash flow property in the future and you'll be glad you did it.
hank wahl, Agent, oklahoma city, OK
Thu Jan 31, 2013
nichols hills is the best. what is your budget?
okiedoke, , Oklahoma City, OK
Thu Aug 30, 2012
Bricktown if you want urban living. Rent is high for Oklahoma, but it's "city life" for around here.
Bricktown condos can be pricey, but they're usually new or completely renovated. As in, some condos didn't exist 10 years ago but old buildings were gutted and turned into high end condos. You can find fairly tolerable priced rental apartments in Bricktown. You'll definitely, definitely pay a premium to live in Bricktown. Higher prices for smaller square footage-- makes a lot of people choose Edmond instead. Bricktown has plenty of bars, clubs, and sporting activities. It's fun, but you have higher rents, much more traffic, more noise,....

The Paseo bars and art museums are fun, but I wouldn't live there. Rent can be cheap there. I've seen decent sized 1 bedrooms with dining and living go for $500/month. Like I said, I wouldn't live there. It feels more run down to me and not particularly safe. Maybe I'm just old and remember how awful the Paseo was in the 90s... and can't get a new image of it in my head. It has drastically improved since the 90s, that's for sure. It had some serious problems back them. We used to not even go down there at night in the 90s. It was bad. The city has done a lot of work in the late 80s/90s for the Paseo revitalization project. That's helped dramatically. It's much safer and less troubled of an area now. Even so, it's still not luxury and it doesn't give a luxurious vibe. I've seen some nice homes with fully renovated interiors there there, and some dumps. Most houses over there are older, and it often shows overall in the area. Any given night over there when I'm at a house party I hear ambulances at least once or twice. Spend a few nights there and read some news articles on the area before moving in. Restaurants and bars in the Paseo are open later than other areas.

There are all of the "heights" areas-- Putnam Heights, Crowne Heights, etc. Slightly better than the Paseo to me, but also not my taste. You can get nicer and newer/fully renovated and safer in... Edmond. And, even far, far NW OKC. Some of those old houses in the heights have historic charm. I'll give them that. Statistically, Putnam Heights has 3 times the national average in several areas of property theft and assaults. That means Putman Heights is 9 times more likely to be broken into or have assaults than Edmond. Look up statistics in different neighborhoods before you move there.

Quail Springs condos/mall area is very nice, very safe, and ideal-- but it's more of a suburb. Restaurants close relatively early. Not many bars-- but enough restaurants serve alcohol. No clubs or such around that area. Some nice mall shopping. Easy access to highways. Safer schools. Quieter. Newer, nicer homes in Edmond. I probably sound like an Edmond lover, but... it is the nicest area in the metro OKC. Newer and nicer homes and well-planned neighborhoods. It can be very quiet, if not boring. I would call Edmond the more "family centered" of an area-- it's not "I'm in my 20s, let's party it up and have keg parties" area. You can get a lot for your money in Edmond. People your age in Edmond likely are married with kids. To me, that's a good thing... homeowner's in Edmond tend to have a lot of pride in their home ownership. Newer homes that are nicely landscaped and taken care of. Bricktown is 15-20 minutes from Quail Springs Mall.

Lake Hefner might be a good balance between the two. You could eat at the trendier restaurants on the lake, etc. There are some condos there that have more young owners. In fact, I would say most condo owners around here are either bachelors/bachelorettes or retired people. Most people with kids don't want to live in the relatively small Lake Hefner condos when they can buy a house for not that much more.

Public transportation? WHAT public transportation? Technically, OKC and even Edmond have a bus route. But, the bus operates usually during business hours, and not often late nights. How will you go out after work? Or get groceries? The bus route doesn't have many stops compared to larger cities. Additionally, some routes (from what I remember) don't even run on the weekends. On top of which, if you live in a neighborhood, you'll likely be walking very far to the bus. People buy cars here if there's any human way they can afford it. It's not a public transit city by any stretch. That just wouldn't' be practical.. OKC is incredibly spread out, and has traditional neighborhoods-- not an urban city layout. I suppose you'll need to live in Bricktown, or possibly in the Penn Square Mall are or Paseo to possibly be able to catch the bus. Look at the bus schedules... they're limited and not all run late nights/weekends. And, a bicycle? Don't even think about it, unless you live/work/shop all in a very small urban area of town. Yikes.

Do you want "trendy?"

Or, do you want "quality of life" and a good value for your money?
Christie Bak…, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Sun Jul 15, 2012
Kevin, I am seeing more and more young professionals moving to the Bricktown and Midtown area for convenience and social and entertainment venues. With Devon and the OU Medical Center being located downtown, it is considered THE place for young professionals.

One last comment, Western Ave is also a place where there are lots of trendy restaurants and other venues for entertainment. Again, easy access to the rest of the city.

My office is near the Western Ave. hot spots and also some older smaller historical ares that offer unique and trendy architecture with more for your buying dollar in real estate. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you in finding the right place.
Karen Moseley, Agent, Edmond, OK
Thu Jun 21, 2012
There are several condo properties on the north side of OKC. I sold one just in April that is in a nice area. You can walk around as there are trails, pools, gated, close to large mall, restaurants, movie theater, etc. It would be my first pick. My couple I sold it to love it there.
You could go downtown but the new ones are expensive. There is one older property that I know of. It's OK.

You can reach me at 405-650-3548 if you would like more info.
Rose Wilkins…, , Edmond, OK
Mon Nov 28, 2011
A really up and coming area in Oklahoma City right now is Paseo / Central Park Addition. If you look on the tax records, you will notice that most of the people who own properties in this addition are also owner occupants, which is a really good sign for stability and resell value.

The price range of the area is between $75,000 all the way up to $160,000 for all the extras and amenities, including stainless steel appliances, crown molding, granite countertops, refinished hardwood floors and basically a complete remodel.

Most of the homes were built between 1929 and 1940, and are 1,500 square feet or less. This is a perfect size for a young professional couple starting out in life with no children.

Within walking distance, there is a little alley way where a lot of neat shops and restaurants are located. Every May, there is an arts festival in this alley way where local artist set up shop to feature their art work. There is also an art gallery right around the corner from the alley way that is exquisite.

The pride of ownership truly shows in Paseo / Central Park.

You might also want to check the Nichols Hills / The Village areas. There are many young urban professionals who reside there, because of it's close proximity to Chesapeake, which is one of Oklahoma City's biggest employers.

And of course, you could never go wrong with anywhere in Edmond, Oklahoma. Edmond is considered the "Beverly Hills" of Oklahoma, but is shockingly affordable. Homes range anywhere from $85,000 all the way up to several millions of dollars. And of course, everything in between.

Best of luck in your home search!
Brandon Hort…, Agent, Tuttle, OK
Mon Sep 5, 2011
Hi Kevin!

The 'Hot Spot' to live is Downtown OKC/Bricktown area! With the transformation of this area in the last 10 years, there is plenty of new properties for young, professionals like yourself. Deep Deuce is the most popular. Let me know if you have any further questions! My services are always free to Buyers.

Brandon Horton, REALTOR, GRI, SFR, ePro
Compass OKC
Keller Williams Northwest
405.812.2523
Web Reference:  http://www.CompassOKC.com
Rick Jackson, Agent, Norman, OK
Mon Sep 5, 2011
Chuck has a great point about public transportation. If i were you, and I'm not, I would ask a Realtor to set you a search up near the area you will be working and go from there. It's not a commitment to buy, but will give you a starting point.
Chuck Wells, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Mon Sep 5, 2011
Good morning Kevin... U had mentioned the importance of access to public transportation; OKC is not to the level of public transportation as u are accustomed to in the Dallas Metro. Inner city has reliable access; however, access is limited in outlying areas. I would love to visit with u a bit more in depth about your ideal situation as well as what u are accustomed to in your current area of Dallas. Thank you for inquiring once again. Chuck Wells, Keller Williams NW
Web Reference:  http://TheRWGroupOK.com
Joan Stamman, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Sun Sep 4, 2011
Kevin - you have many good options in the metro Oklahoma City area. Most importantly is what price range you might be considering and how far do you wish to live from your place of empoyment. If you are self-employed and work from home - that won't matter so much. We have a variety of condos in quite diverse price ranges and Oklahoma City is definitely filled with great restaurants - lots of options that are not "national chain types". You will find it a very friendly city as well - look forward to having you here. Contact me anytime if you would like our help. Thanks, Joan Stamman, Keller Williams Realty, 405-826-8054.
Chuck Wells, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Sun Sep 4, 2011
Kevin... There are many options that are inner-city. I am knowledgeable in condo lease or purchase opportunities as well as smaller home purchase opportunities wittin the popular hot spots of town. I am a social professional as well and can totally relate to what ur searching for. Give me a call directly and I can explain more. Chuck Wells, Keller Williams Realty NW
Web Reference:  http://www.TheRWGroupOK.com
UB Home Team, Agent, Norman, OK
Sun Sep 4, 2011
The Midtown area has several neighborhoods that are popular with young, single professionals to live close to the city?

What price range and other criteria can you share with me so i can send you some properties that we can tour.

Wayne
405-365-6400
Web Reference:  http://www.ubhometeam.com