AL, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

What are some good family neighborhood in Huntington Beach?

Asked by AL, Brooklyn, NY Tue Jul 16, 2013

Might be relocating from NYC to OC with my husband and 1 year old. I was wondering what are some good family neighborhood in Huntington Beach? Also my husband would be commuting to Costa Mesa. Thanks

Answers

11
Kathrin Roge…, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Tue Jul 16, 2013
I think Barry is right on. I live and work in Huntington Beach and have small children myself.
The South of HB might be the best if a short commute is on the one top of your priotity list.
On the other hand I love Summerlane (Northwest). The homes are newer (built in 2001) and there are LOTS of families. They have 2 parks and really low HOA $89 per month which gives to access to a pool and a club house. It is not far from the beach and easy freeway accress as well.
Preschool, shopping, golfing and dining are in walking distance.
Just a little sidenote Halloween is crazy there. A lot of homes are decorated and tons of kids walk in the neighborhood. The only downside is the lot size. Depending on the model you choose the lots can be as small as 3000 sqft.
If you prefer a big lot 6000 sqft + you might have to look at older homes.
We also have gated communities (Sea Cliff/Edwards Hill) which has a great elementary school.
Last but not least Brightwater homes http://(www.BrightwaterHB.com) has tons of kids as well. HB has not much vacant land left for new construction. If you like new construction. THIS IS IT!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

Kathrin Rogers
714 717 9964
Marques Wood, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Roseville, CA
Thu Jul 18, 2013
Try to look around 92646 zip code area in South HB.
Been here 20 yrs. Good schools and athletics and community programs, good people.
Not much restaurant diversity like NYC though. That's my only wish. More and better food selection.
Raymond & St…, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Wed Jul 17, 2013
Hi Al,

There are many great neighborhoods in Huntington Beach. To get more specific, I'd need to know what price range you're looking in. Do you want to be near the beach, harbor, parks or inland areas? The location greatly effects price here! Huntington Beach has a wide range of tract homes from $500,000 to $5Million. Feel free to contact me to discuss your exact needs and specifications. My direct email is Raymond@SurfCityKahuna.com
Joyce Baker, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Wed Jul 17, 2013
Costa Mesa is our neighboring city so that will be an easy drive for your husband! There are many great family neighborhoods in HB. Are you looking for a gated neighborhood? Those will be over $1M. Non gated communities will be much less. Let me know what you're looking for and your rice range and I'll be happy to give you more specific info ok? Thanks, Joyce Baker, ReJoyce5@aol.com
Amy Gillissen, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Tue Jul 16, 2013
South Huntington Beach has many great neighborhoods and is next to Costa Mesa. I have lived in South Huntington for over 17 years and have sent my child to wonderful public schools in the area. It is an ideal place to live and would be an extremely short drive to Costa Mesa.
Give me a call or send an email if you would like to get some more details on what is currently available for sale.

Amy Gillissen, REALTOR
Evergreen Realty
714-230-5307
AmyGillissen@gmail.com
BRE# 01752986
Louri Groves…, Agent, Fountain Valley, CA
Tue Jul 16, 2013
Hi Al,

I noticed that you are researching areas including Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, and Huntington Beach. You mentioned that you want:

1.) a safe and child friendly neighborhood
2.) great public schools
3.) suitable neighborhoods trumps space.

To determine which neighborhood you and your husband would most likely be interested in will be determined by price, as there are many wonderful areas in Huntington Beach. But some areas demand higher prices than others and inventory is still a somewhat sparse.

For example there is one SFR (Single Family Residence/house) with an asking price of $500,000. At this time there are no detached (no shared walls) SFRs under $500,000. There are 20 listings with an asking price of $600,000 or below.

Also there are various condos and townhomes that are priced at $325,000 and above.

Here is a link that will provide information on crime/police activity by street.neighborhoods. Just type in the zip code or street name: http://www.crimereports.com/#
Zip codes in HB are: 92647, 92646, 92648, and 92649.

Greatschools.org will rate schools from a scale of 1 to 10 based on test scores. This site also offers individual reviews from the community (parents and former students tend to post reviews).

A few elementary schools in HB that scored a 10 on Greatschools.org include Seacliff Elementary, Moffett Elementary, Hope View Elementary, and Circle View Elementary. I know of various families whose children attend these schools and are very happy with their schools.

The lowest priced condo/townhome is about $325,000 in the Huntington Beach City School District which includes Seacliff, Moffett and J.R. Peterson (#9 on greatshcools.org).

http://www.ci.huntington-beach.ca.us/about/maps/schools_and_… is a map of the various school districts in Huntington Beach.

Please feel free to give me a call, text, or email if you want to chat in greater detail. I hope this has been helpful and welcome to So Cal!

Louri Groves
Prudential California Realty
ocgroves@gmail.com
714.767.8158
what she said
Flag Thu Jul 18, 2013
The Cheryl C…, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Tue Jul 16, 2013
I live and work in Huntington Beach and there are too many great family neighborhoods to list. I relocated from Northern Virginia 12 years ago and found Huntington Beach to be a great place to raise a family. Huntington Beach was just featured on Good Morning America this morning as a favorite beach destinations for families. Your neighborhood will most likely be chosen by your price range. Single family homes start at $450,000 and go all the way to 12 million. Once we determine your price range we can narrow down which neighborhoods will work for you. You may contact me at cheryl@cherylsellsoc.com and I will be happy to email you pictures of homes for sale and more information about our variety of neighborhoods. One thing is for certain - you will love it here.
Vivian Young, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Tue Jul 16, 2013
Dear Al:
Glen Mar, South Shores, Huntington Place, Bel Air, Landmarks, Franciscan Fountains to name a few.
James Melton, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Tue Jul 16, 2013
It's hard to go wrong in Huntington Beach! I've lived in the area my whole life, and I can expertly guide you to your next home here, regardless of your budget. Please contact me to discuss your specific housing needs and wants, for further assistance. Thanks.

James Melton
Realtor & Mortgage Broker, CA DRE Broker #01222353, NMLS #300133
President, Victory Mortgage & Real Estate
Home Loans & Sales Since 1979, NMLS #366399
2901 W. PCH, Suite 200, Newport Beach, CA 92663
cell(714)318-4664, phone(949)939-9676 or (714)374-0022, fax(714)844-9094
web http://jamesmelton.listingbook.com
email jamesm@socal.rr.com
Barry Bussie…, , Oceanside, CA
Tue Jul 16, 2013
Huntington Beach was twice on the list of one of America’s safest cities, so most areas are pretty safe and nice. Of course it depends on what you are looking for. Huntington Beach has a wide variety of properties for just about any lifestyle. There are water front homes, golf course homes, homes near the beach, equestrian homes, and so forth. South East Huntington Beach is closer to Coast Mesa and Newport Beach. However, depending on where your husband will be working the commute could be as long as 20 min or as short as 5 min.

If you are concerned about schools, Huntington Beach has some of the best schools around including elementary, jr and senior high schools. Most housing tracts either have a park or are close to a park where kids can safely play. In addition, Central Park has ball fields, the central library, a community theater, and much more.

If you have never lived in California, I know you will find Huntington Beach a great place to live, and play.

If you need more information about a particular price range or style of home, I can be more specific about neighborhoods that would fit your budget and lifestyle.

Congratulations on your decision to move to the coast of Southern California, you will find it a wonderful place to live.

Barry
714-536-7434
Alan Kurpiew…, , California
Tue Jul 16, 2013
Edison High is the highest rated high school in the Huntington Beach Union District, and has quality elementary and middles schools feeding it. This also happens to be at the south end of HB nearest Costa Mesa. This would shorten his commute and allow him to have more "family" time. There are a lot of parks in the area there too, but most of HB has that.

I also know someone who grew up in the marina around Huntington Harbour, (near the north end by Seal Beach) and would suggest that area too, if you are comfortable living that close to the water with a child that young. (Some mothers would not allow this until their child(-ren) can swim) This would feed into Marina High School, which is still a quality high school.

Wherever you decide, HB is a great place to live, with highly rated schools throughout. Perhaps a visit out to scout the area would get you a better feel for what the town has to offer.

Alan Kurpiewski, Realtor®
CA BRE 01912043
(619) 35-HOUSE
(619) 354-6873
http://www.homes4schools.com
homes4schools@gmail.com