What are some affordable property/home buying areas for professionals and outdoor lovers?

Asked by Jenny Marie, Florin Fruitridge Industrial Park, Sacramento, CA Mon Jun 2, 2014

We are both full-time professionals who love the outdoors. We love to snowboard, hike, backpack and camp, and we'd love to be able to meet others who enjoy the same.

We currently reside in New Jersey. I have not yet been to the area yet, will be next month. What are some good areas we could look? We'd likely just rent first, but I'm trying to get an idea of what it will cost to buy a home (plus property taxes) down the road.

Wouldn't hurt to have woods in the backyard and privacy, but again, I'm not sure what the options are? Also with an under 30 minute commute would be desired.

Any info would be great appreciated! Thanks!

Answers

2
Darrick Kizl…, Agent, Englewood, CO
Tue Jun 3, 2014
Jenny,

Is work going to be near downtown, the Denver Tech center area (southeast metro area) or elsewhere? That makes a huge difference for commute. Not surprisingly, so does budget. The west side definitely gives you proximity to the mountains for all of the activities up there, but the foothills communities (Evergreen / Morrison / Golden) for example can be quite a haul for a job in the tech center area. Roxborough (might be classified under the city of Littleton as you search) is beautiful (near Chatfield State Park and Roxborough State Parks) on the southwest side as is the Ken Caryl Ranch neighborhood (southwest as well and might be classified as Littleton). The Applewood neighborhood in Lakewood is also quite nice on the west side.

Keep in mind that Denver is a high desert city, so you have to go higher in elevation for more trees / etc. Of course, established city neighborhoods have plenty of large trees, but newer areas do not. Evergreen is at 6800 feet. Downtown Denver at 5280 -- that is why the different landscape. Morrison / Golden out west are about 5800 feet. Space is a premium in metro Denver, so you will pay for having space. It is easier as you move south a little (a neighborhood like the Pinery in Parker) and also Castle Rock depending on how much money you want to spend. These areas are also higher in elevation (Castle Rock at 6200 feet).

It is very hard to generalize as about anything is available for a price in metro Denver (except lakefront!) -- it depends on what you really want to prioritize most. I specialize in relocations and am currently working with a number of out-of-state clients. What you want is a good buyer's agent (it doesn't cost you anything) who can help you prioritize your criteria and start from a broad area like metro Denver and continue to narrow it and narrow it to communities, neighborhoods, and eventually a home.

If you give me an idea of your price, I can give you an idea of property taxes (coming from New Jersey, you will be quite happy!). Also, for renting feel free to check out http://www.padmapper.com. The rental market (as well as the buying / selling market are very tight. Inventories are extremely low on both ends, so doing your searching now and learning is definitely the way to go. Feel free to let me know if I can be of further help.

Darrick Kizlyk - Realtor
EXIT Realty Denver Tech Center
719-360-3935
darrick@exitrealtydtc.com
Thanks for the info. I've had a couple interviews with companies in Englewood/Dnver Tech Center. I'm looking to rent to start so any suggestions would be helpful.

What I'm looking for:
- Ideally would like to be near a park, and be able to bike to work when the weather's nice.
- A safe area.
- Also want to be close enough to Downtown to go in for a game, drinks, etc.
- For 1BR would want in the range of $800 - $1000, or 2BR $1200 - 1600. Is this realistic? Our 2BR, 2bath condo in NJ was $1,500. Let me know what you think.
Flag Tue Sep 9, 2014
Elite Dream…, Agent, Aurora, CO
Tue Jun 3, 2014
There are many incredible neighborhoods in Denver Metro where you can find what you're looking for, that's one of the reasons this is such a popular city for young professionals who love the outdoors. Depending on what exactly you're looking for, you may want to consider Lakewood, Golden, Roxborough, or Evergreen.

There are many factors to consider here, including where you'll be commuting for work, what else you're looking for in a neighborhood, and your general price range. The current rental market is very tight, it might make a lot of sense for you to look at purchasing now instead of renting! Give us a call and we'll be happy to answer your questions more thoroughly.
wow Golden and Evergreen have some really spectacular options. I couldn't find Roxborough on here, is it part of another town?

These are just want we're looking for in terms of price, size, view, privacy, but still a good drive from Denver.

Would you happen to have any similar areas in mind a little closer to Denver?

Thanks so much!
Flag Tue Jun 3, 2014