What are restrictions on multi family houses?

Asked by Happy123, New Jersey Wed Sep 9, 2009

I am getting conflicting info on the possibility of building a 2 family house (up and down, one unit on the first floor and one unit on the second floor) on a ortley beach lot. Some builders have told me I can apply for a variance (it just misses lot size for conforming 2 family) and I can build a 2 family and eventually sell off one floor as a separate unit. Other builders have told me even with variance you cannot sell only one unit of a up and down 2 family (because of lot/ outside property use),,,, and can only sell the 2 family house as a whole multi family dwelling....Do you know which scenario is correct?

Answers

1
Stephen Chmi…, , 08724
Thu Oct 8, 2009
Happy,
Don`t trust what builders tell you about zoning/building issues. Go to the township (I believe Toms River has the info) and ask someone there for the correct answer to your questions.