Eric, Home Buyer in 10024

What are good middle-class neighborhoods with townhouses and good schools in a 45 minute commute to NYC?

Asked by Eric, 10024 Fri Oct 2, 2009

Answers

10
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Oct 2, 2009
Eric,
Sorry to tell you this, but real estate agents are not able to comment on such things as "good middle-class neighborhoods" and "good schools." There are laws against it. What I would suggest is that you look at a map and pick areas that seem a reasonable commute for you. Then research the crime statistics with the local police precincts, then research the school ratings. Once you've done your homework, then a real estate agent in an area you are interested in can talk to you about budget, financing, space, etc. and show you properties that fit what you are looking for.
Best of luck to you.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Jan 13, 2010
So Eric, tell us (if you're still out there reading this).......you asked this question over 3 months ago - did you make a decision as to where to move ?
Robin Lynch, , Westchester County, NY
Wed Jan 13, 2010
Hi Eric,

There are lots of towns in mid to lower Westchester County that have a 45 minute commute to Grand Central Terminal and also have townhouses that are currently on the market. To check train schedules, I would go to the MTA website, type in stations in the search box and check the schedules to Grand Central.

Here is the link:

http://www.mta.info

I would also check out the following link for school information:

http://www.greatschools.org

Robin Lynch
Keller Williams Realty Group
Joseph DeVito, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Sat Oct 10, 2009
Hi Eric
I can only say being from Bensonhurst Brooklyn NY that anywhere in The Bensonhurst,Dyker Heights,Bay Ridge Area ae great school disrits and are very accessible o Manhattan.In Dyker Heights District 20 is on of the best School Districts.There are trains and buses to Manhattan, the trip ill be 25 to 40 minutes
Web Reference:  http://www.Fillmore.com
Allan Aydag, , Queens County, NY
Thu Oct 8, 2009
Hi Eric.

I am specialized last 10 years in prime areas in Queens.
i will say Fresh Meadows is the place School district #26 as well as Bayside 45 min commute to NYC,
i also include Whitestone scooldistrict 25 and Express busses to NYC 45 min.
I have just listed yesterday Brand New 2009 Style First Quality Renovated Townhouse in Fresh Meadows
price $600k . I know this house will not be available next few days.
I have some Townhouses needs little work going $639k some 30 years ago renovated around $500k.
If you have interest to see all this houses I will schedule an appointment within few hours i will show you all.
You stiil have $8000.- Re Tax Credit must close till end of November if you are first time buyer .
Feel free to Contact me direct.
Best Regards.
RE. Broker Associate Charles Rutenberg Realtors.
Allan Aydag (917)771-5595
Lisa Brodsky, , 10950
Wed Oct 7, 2009
Hi Eric,

I have a couple suggestions for you. Rockland County, NY is about half an hour from the city or you might want to consider Orange County, NY which is going to be about 1 hour away, but MANY commute from here because you get more for your money here...you might consider something off the first couple exits here in Orange..Harriman, Central Valley, Highland Mills, Monroe... highway access or public transportation is pretty easy here...you would be close to shopping, schools, etc...

Check out some of the choices at http://www.currierandlazier.com/lbrodsky

If you would like help in either county, please let me know. I used to live in Rockland, and now live in Orange with my family. My husband works in Manhattan BTW. I hope to hear from you , even if it is to pick my brain...
IF you decide on another community, please let me know where...I can refer you to a top agent, certified, relocation specialist there...no cost to you......just ask...

lisa.brodsky@coldwellbanker.com

Lisa Brodsky
Broker Associate
Coldwell Banker
845-401-1448
Carlo Siracu…, Agent, Morris Plains, NJ
Sun Oct 4, 2009
Hi Eric,
Parsippany NJ is a very sought after community specifically for its easy commute to NYC. The town has many opportunities for housing that are great for first time buyers. My office team specializes in Parsippany and the surrounding markets.

I am having a Real Estate Market seminar on Saturday October 24th, 2009 at 11AM. I have invited a home inspector and an attorney as my guest speakers to go over the home buying process. We will be going over Local Market Trends as well. You are welcome to attend.

Good luck with your search

Carlo
Pascual Paul…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Sat Oct 3, 2009
Lower Westchester is my area of expertise. Pelham, Mount Vernon,Yonkers, New Rochelle, up to White Plains all approx. 30 minutes to NYC- Do your homework as to what appeals to you. (look in neighborhoods of Westchester on my web) then call if interested in any area. I can show you the property on your time. Good Luck with where ever you decide.
Web Reference:  http://PaulMVPteam.com
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Sat Oct 3, 2009
Eric:

Much depends on where you want to settle. If Long Island is in your future, it has some of the best schools in the country. There are many towns in Eastern Nassau County which are within 45 minutes of NYC. There are several websites where you can check the median incomes, and crime and school statistics. Much will depend on your budget. If you'd like to explore Long Island or have any other real estate related questions, please contact me. Good luck no matter where you decide to settle!

Ralph Windschuh
Certified Buyer Representative
Associate Broker
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri Oct 2, 2009
Hi Eric
You can put NJ on the list!

My area is Essex County - the bus ride is approximately 50 min and the mid town direct train is 30 min...many commuters also drive to Harrison (2o min drive) and take the Path train......lots of options.

I am not sure what your price range is, but townhomes in various towns in my area can range from $250,000 to 1 million - quite a wide range. It's really a wonderful area to live in - great schools, recreation, parks, and cultural activities - great shopping, too. The mall at Short Hills has all the top 5th Ave. stores - check it out!

I drive to the city often, and I can get there in under 30 min (not at rush hour, though!).
Within an hour you can be at the beautiful Jersey shore, so there is lots to offer here.

If you are primarily interested in townhome living, there are a good number of complexes, some are gated, and most have amenities like pool, tennis and clubhouses with meeting and excercise rooms.

I have lived and worked in this area my entire life, and am thoroughly familiar with all the commuinities in the area.
Please feel free to reach out to me, as I'd be happy to email you several listings to get you started.
Whatever you decide, good luck with your move!

Best wishes....
Debbie Rose
Pprudential NJ Properties

email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com