What are Houston areas for young retiree sf needing single family home, access to I-10, safe? No HOA fees. Price range $150-$200k.

Asked by Donald Bou, Dallas, TX Sat Aug 17, 2013

Add some detail about your question

Answers

5
Cesar Martin…, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Aug 19, 2013
What side of Houston do you want to live in?
Mark McNitt, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Aug 18, 2013
Donald,

Most communities have home owner associations overseeing the neighborhoods in Houston. They tend to keep those owners that "want to do their own thing" in-check. Paint colors of the homes, keeping the yard looking nice, not parking huge RVs or having a garage sale every weekend are just a few examples of what they are watching out for. Goal is to maintain and improve values of everyone's home in the area.

In this price range, you will likely be in the suburbs west of Houston. Known as the "Katy" area to find single family homes in this price range. A majority of the newer homes will be north of I-10, but there may be a few south in communities such as Nottingham Country, Green Trails or Kelliwood (depending on size, number of bedrooms, etc)

Congratulations on your retirement. You are already in Texas so you know much of the tax benefits. Let us assist you when the time is right.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
Arnold Richie, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Aug 18, 2013
Good morning Donald,

As noted, it would be hard to find a subdivision without a HOA, but there are a few. They are generally very far out but I would be happy to research it for you. While we all have some problems with the HOA system, it does create a more stable area and generally helps to keep home values up. I will assume you have a particular need - maybe a home business. Contact me, or one of the Realtors in this forum and we can help you much better find what you are looking for. We are on this forum to be informative, but we do make our living as Realtors and would like to have you become a client. On the Buyer side, it generally will cost you nothing to have professional expertise on your side.

Arnold Richie, Realtor®
Terry Burnaman Realtors
arnold@yournexthomehouston.com
http://www.yournexthomehouston.com
713-396-2017 281-788-8962
Al Geffon, Agent, Houston, TX
Sun Aug 18, 2013
Donald ...

You'll find that virtually all subdivisions here have some sort of annual HOA fee, generally a few hundred dollars. Some are voluntary, but most are mandatory. Just about all of them include service by the local constable, over and above the Houston Police Dept. patrols.

On that subject, Realtors are not permitted to comment on whether a particular area is "safe." You can view the crime stats of any given location here ...http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/houston/crime/. Nor can we discuss the age or ethnic composition of the population in a given area. I always suggest that buyers drive through the locale at different times of day (evenings and weekends are a must) and speak with folks who live there ... they'll be happy to share their thoughts (good, bad, and ugly) with you.

Any area along I-10 toward Katy should contain several available properties that would work for you. Of course, your price range will place you a distance from the Loop ... if you have no need to commute to Houston proper on a regular basis, you should be fine.

I hope this helps. If I may be of further service, please feel free to get in touch.

Regards ...

Al Geffon
Trend Setter Realty
(713) 213-6350
al@geffon.net
Web Reference:  http://www.har.com/algeffon
Susan Collins, Agent, Richmond, TX
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Cottage Grove ~ I10 and the 610 area.
Another one a little farther out ~Bear Creek area Hwy 6 and I10.

You can email me and I can send you some homes in the area. Susan.Collins.Hernandez@gmail.com.