What Oakland neighborhoods are most up and coming but are still a bargain? Temescal? Oakland/Berkely border?

Asked by Tracey Freyre, Oakland, CA Sun Apr 26, 2009

Answers

6
Katie O'Shea, Agent, Oakland, CA
Sun Apr 26, 2009
Hi Tracey
Most of Temescal and Oakland/ Berkeley/Emeryville border (94607, 94608) have already arrived and buyers are hunting for bargains. The further west you go (toward 880), properties are less expensive, less desirable and the area has not arrived. The Laurel neighborhood (94602 and 94619) bordering MacArthur Blvd, 35th Ave, Hwy 13, and 580 is a good place to concentrate.
Katie
Liz Stevens, , Berkeley, CA
Mon Apr 27, 2009
Tracy, you got replies from three of the best agents in the area. You can depend on their estimations of good value in up and coming neighborhoods. All the best, Liz
Cheryl Berger, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Fri Jul 13, 2012
We are seeing areas in both Berkeley and Oakland go through a transformation in the last couple of years. In Berkeley around the San Pablo Park area and in Oakland I would say that a big draw is for North Oakland and parts of West Oakland/ Emeryville border. A lot of investors have been coming in and fixing up houses and selling them to new buyers. From my experience I am also seeing a lot of buyers from San Francisco move to these more affordable neighborhoods in Berkeley and Oakland.
Tomi Thomas, Agent, Oakland, CA
Mon Feb 6, 2012
I have to say that "most up and coming, but are still a bargain" is a fairly subjective criteria that needs to be balanced by your short term vs long term plans, and whether you are an investor or planning to live in the home. Are you going to be there 3 years, 10 years, 20 years? Resale potential really matters in your formula. What is your threshhold for safety, urban feel? What are your space requirements and what is your budget? These and many more factors that must be weighed, in addition to neighborhood, before someone can make an honest recommendation. I recommend you sit down with a good agent of your choosing, and do a deeper exploration.
Nicole Bailey, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sun Apr 26, 2009
Hi Tracey,

North Oakland is perhaps the best buy (that is centrally located), close to transport and shopping, you can easily commute to San Francisco and you are minutes from Rockridge and Berkeley.

Nicole
Yeah, if you have a MILLION DOLLAR budget!!! North Oakland is BIG BUCKS! Do your research, Nicole (I see that you live in Seattle... maybe you are just not in the know, since you don't live locally).
Flag Mon Sep 12, 2016
Linnette Edw…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Sun Apr 26, 2009
Although competitive at this point, check out these locations (depending on your tolerance level for edginess):
*Communities that Border Temescal - (it’s block by block, talk to neighbors for good insight)
- Santa Fe (check out 5215 Genoa -over 10+offerrs at this point but a GREAT home with good bones at $230k)
- Long fellow
*North Oakland/Berkeley Border around Bushrod Park. Sold couple on 60th between Shattuck and Telegraph. Great community.
*Glenview (try the outskirts for more affordability)- most underrated for walkability, access to AC and new great restaurants popping up! That's a good sign in light of the downward economy.
I think the communities offering walkability and transportation are and will continue to be the hottest and are the most up and coming over say, Maxwell Park unfortunately. Granted, this is my personal opinion as everyone has their own definition of up and coming. The demographics of my buyers are 20-30's age range.