We would like to express thanks to a realtor who has showed my husband and I around an area in Florida. The

Asked by Troll Charmer, out of area Sun Jan 13, 2008

realtor used approximately 2 full days of her time, plus gas, to show us homes which we could use as a vacation home. However, we decided not to purchase at this time, because the homes we liked best were located in a more expensive area than we can afford at this time. Does anyone have any suggestions about what we can do to compensate the realtor for her time and effort (in terms of a cash payment)?

Answers

4
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Jan 13, 2008
Good advice here. Definitely a nice testimonial. Longer term, referrals. And something like a fruit basket. If you spent two full days with her, you probably learned a bit about her--what she likes to do, what her hobbies are, where she likes to go out to eat. Some sort of gift card reflecting her interests would be nice.

David Patter…, , 29229
Sun Jan 13, 2008
Real Estate Agents LOVE testimonials. In my personal business, I love being able to display typed (with signatures) or handwritten testimonial letters. This is the best form of advertising for us. It costs us $0 and it will cost you $0.

Also, real estate agents LOVE gas cards. Reimbursement for gasoline is a great way to show appreciation.

Personally, I would choose the letter. Sounds crazy? Maybe. But, 75% of my business is from people like you! Testimonials and Commissions are the #1 and #1A (not necessarily in that order) of our business.

Hopefully.....This has been helpful to you. Good Luck in your Real Estate pursuits.

David A. Patterson, Broker CRS ABR
Russell & Jeffcoat Realtors, Inc.
5219 N. Trenholm Road
Columbia, SC 29206
(803) 960-5231

Visit My Blog - Your Comments are Welcomed
http://columbiasouthcarolinahomes.blogspot.com/

http://www.sellinghomesisourbusiness.com
http://www.davidpatterson.net

Great service begins with a clear purpose!
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Sun Jan 13, 2008
A complimentary letter addressed to the agent and their broker, praising the agents skills and best qualities, is appreciated by many agents in that Florida agents situation.

Also, If you keep that agents contact information you could give their name and number to anyone seeking real estate in that agents metropolitan area.

There is even a way for that agent to get paid. When you start to think about the next area to shop for a piece of real estate (or sell) anywhere - you could call or email your agent and ask them if they can refer you to an agent who is as considerate and as helpful as she was. If you buy (or sell) using the referred agent, the original Florida agent may legally receive a referral fee.

Your choice of nickname "Troll Charmer" tickles me. I knew that snakes could be charmed; I did not know that trolls could be charmed.
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Sun Jan 13, 2008
I think a nice note (perhaps copied to her managing broker as well), and perhaps a gift card to a local spa, or restaurant would go a long way. I don't think a cash payment would be appropriate, although the thought is lovely.