We were suppose to closing an 8 unit townhomes but it is now 36 days past the closing date. The lawyer said I cant get my deposit back.

Asked by Sheila Barger, Bullhead, AZ Thu Sep 12, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Richard "RJ"…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Thu Sep 12, 2013
That depends. Have you removed your contingencies? If not, this is one way to retrieve your deposit. Also, who's fault is it that the transaction hasn't closed...? Was a Notice to Perform issued? Or a Demand to Close? Take it up with your agents manager. Good luck.
1 vote
Van Agakanian, Agent, Tarzana, CA
Thu Sep 12, 2013
If an escrow period is going to extend beyond its mutually agreed closing date, then it must also be mutually agreed to postpone the closing date. Additionally, if you already have satisfied all the contingencies within the time frame allowed in your offer, then you must close escrow or stand to lose your earnest money deposit. Consult your attorney on these matters.
1 vote
carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Mon Sep 16, 2013
who's fault is the delay?
What does your contract say?
Who is lawyer working for?
Do you have representation?
Something not right.
0 votes
Heather Paul, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Sun Sep 15, 2013
Do you have an agent/broker representing you? I would recommend to contact them first as they know first hand what is written in your contract. If all contingencies were removed, this might be true, but you still should possibly seek the advice of your own attorney's guidance and as I said before, your agent is the one that knows your contract best, speak to them and if that doesn't help, speak to their broker.

Have a great day,
Heather Paul, Broker Associate, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
0 votes
Douglas Lagos, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Sep 12, 2013

Who's lawyer said you can't get your money back?
If it is the other side's lawyer, get your own ASAP.
Who's fault is it for the reason of bit closing on time?
Are you represented by an agent, and if so, what are they saying about the situation?
Web Reference:  http://Douglaslagos.com
0 votes
Katherine Jo…, Agent, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Thu Sep 12, 2013
That depends on the seller. Each sale is case by case. If the sellers feel you have not performed and their property was kept off the market. Yes they can ask for damages ie your earnest money deposit.
You all will have to come to a mutual agreement...You stated the lawyer said you cannot get your money back, what type of sale was it? Probate,standard,short sale?
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more