We want to move from Austin to Portland. Are their houses under 250k with good schools? Where?

Asked by Jenn, Austin, TX Mon Jul 27, 2009

Answers

20
., , Portland, OR
Tue Aug 25, 2009
You probably took a loss because of the market...everyone is. Did you realtor help you with this?
., , Portland, OR
Tue Aug 25, 2009
ALSO....Beaverton and Hillsboro are overly crowded...I hate driving there. It takes me 45 mins. in NO traffic to get from N. Portland to Washington Square...ridiculous.
., , Portland, OR
Tue Aug 25, 2009
Jenn~

I have to say that I know good neighborhoods in the 200-250K range with good schools in Portland. I live in N. Portland and the only buyers I actually have right now are in the 200k range. North Portland used to be the ghetto and I suppose some people would say it still is but I live there and they are building and the parks are nice and also they making St. Johns better as well. There are 250K range a lot of places in Portland, just search and you will find them.
Brent A. Joh…, , Salem, OR
Fri Aug 14, 2009
The previous answers are why the fastest growing Portland suburb is Vancouver, Washington. Located 500 yards north of the Portland airport; is has experienced phenominal growth primarily from Portland area families over the past 10 years due to the best and well funded schools in the 4 county metro area. In addition, there is no personal income tax, and you CAN buy a nice home in a nice family neighborhood now in the $200 to $250k range - easily. Check it out. I am a 25 year appraiser, licensed in both Oregon and Washington, with nothing to sell or advocate. We were just so blessed to find it 25 years ago, raised 3 kids thru the great public Vancouver school district - I just want folks who like Portland to discover it too!!

Brent Johnson
Vancouver, WA
Phil Anderson, , Portland, OR
Tue Aug 11, 2009
Thank you, Amy and Erf for your insights! It's always good to hear from "the other" side of the fence.

I live Beaverton, also. I'm a "west-sider" and have lived there, Tigard and Tualatin.

Phil

Phillip Anderson
Owner/Broker
New Portland Home
(503) 789-8701 Direct
phil@NewPortlandHome.com
Amy, Home Buyer, 97006
Tue Aug 11, 2009
I have lived in the Beaverton area for a year now as a renter and am planning on buying there. It is the biggest, and in my opinion, the best school district in the Portland area. My husband teaches there and has the inside scoop. Beaverton is only 5 miles to the west of Portland and is connected to the city by great public transportation. The suburb is full of young families. Housing prices are between 150-250k for 3 bed, 2 bath not including the forclosures which are plentiful and can range anywhere fron 20-150k. I work in SE Portland which is on the opposite side of town and it only takes me 30 min to get to work. Good Luck!
Erf, Home Buyer, Beaverton, OR
Fri Aug 7, 2009
I hate to be the only naysayer here, but there are no homes in PDX proper in this price range in a neighborhood you would feel safe walking in at night that are in move-in condition >1200 sq feet. Depending on your job location, you will have to pick your suburb.
Kevin, Agent, Austin, TX
Wed Aug 5, 2009
I can help you with your sale in Austin and would be happy to connect you with another ERA office in the Portland area if needed. As part of your planning to relocate, one item you're going to need is a Comparative Market Analysis for your property. We do not charge for doing the market analysis, all we ask is consideration when your decide that selling is the way you want to go.

You can reach me on my cell a majority of the time, unless I am with clients or in a meeting.

512-426-2689
Kevin Roy
ERA Bettinger Realtors, Inc.
Adam Rust, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Aug 5, 2009
I just completed a transaction with a couple that moved from Austin to Portland. They were asking the exact same question you are. I would be happy to put you in touch with them if you like, and you can hear what their experience was.

Adam Rust
http://www.destinationpdx.com/agents/adam.html
503-808-0467
Kate, Home Seller, Oregon
Tue Aug 4, 2009

I am from Austin and moved to Portand, OR. My first response would be to make sure you have employment lined up in PDX as the unemployment rate is very high. Also, depending on where you live in Austin that $250K can vary wildly from what you get for $250K in Portland.

250K in PDX will be more comparable to maybe, North Austin homes or South (Capital Hill), Pflugerville. etc.. I recenlty sold in PDX's version of almost but not quite Cat Mountain area (NW PDX west of the river)
(for a little under $500K) and we took a huge loss in selling for that. Honestly, the home/area are great with excellent school district, but the house was only 2700Sq ft! Also, due to zoning, unless you buy an older home, you will likely get a smaller yard. I am not an agent so I have no vested interest to guide you wrong :-) There are nice, affordable homes closer in (closer to downtown PDX) but there are also pockets of really nice neighborhoods 5 miles away from WTH neighborhoods. Please feel free to email me if you would like more info, and Good Luck!

travelchick01@yahoo.com
Carla Muss-J…, , Portland, OR
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Okay . . . I'll toss my answer into the mix . . . hopefully not confusing you more.
;-)

You mention buying in Portland, and it's a vast area. There's NW Portland, SE, SW . . .there's Beaverton, Tigard, Hillsboro.

My question would be, were are you going to work . . .commuting is a big point to consider.

I would say start with employment, then try to match the schools with proximity to employer. If you have children, obviously with the need for schools, the commute to/from is a big consideration (for time, for gas prices,etc.)

Next . . . what 'year built' are you looking at?

The Metro Portland area has homes in your price range . . . some very nice ones too! The toss up will be this: If you are looking for newer, then you will find smaller lot sizer. Older with improvements are good and they will come with lot sizes of approximate .15 acre and up. Some of the older homes in this price range might need some updating . . . so without more specifics, there are some good options out there!

I'm working with a couple now in this range, and there are some new built on small lots, but very nice quality construction. We toured a home that was very well done and updates were quality on a nice lot, but year built 1986. Good location, good area.

VTY,

Carla Muss-Jacobs, Broker/Owner
EBA Portland, LLC
Your EXCLUSIVE Buyer Agent
Assisting Metro Portland Buyers since 1999
Web Reference:  http://EBAPortland.com
Carla Muss-J…, , Portland, OR
Mon Jul 27, 2009
;-)

VTY,

Carla Muss-Jacobs, Broker/Owner
EBA Portland, LLC
Your EXCLUSIVE Buyer Agent
Web Reference:  http://EBAPortland.com
June Lizotte,…, , Portland, OR
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Hello Jenn,

http://www.ode.state.or.us/data/reportcard/reports.aspx.

This is the direct link to the morst current school report cards. The link you received below is to a realtor's web site...when I checked it I found it had links that were outdated to 2004-2005 report cards. This link will be more accurate for this last school year. I can not (nor shoud any other realtor) give you specific neighborhoods as a recommendation due to real estate laws that prohibit the practice of steering. We can however, provide you with resources (such as this direct link) where you can research the answers to your questions. In Oregon, as in many states, it is the buyer's sole responsibility to do all due diligence and to verify any information you receive from any source until you are satisfied with the results. A buyer can not relinquish nor substitute the responsibility that's upon them as buyers to perform and take responsibility for any due diligence . It is your agent's good service (not all agents provide this) to help you determine which types of due diligence you might want to complete and to provide you with some resources. I offer this information so you are aware of possible differences from your state to ours regarding the due diligence period in any real estate transaction in Oregon. This type of educational information is part of what you can expect from me as a buyer's representative.

Back to Schools: Not only should you check schools, but I would like to suggest you allow me to provide you with a list of other resources such as links to a source to check crime stats, criminal offender locations, walkability, and more. If you would like a quick reference guide to these resources and a Realtor who will assist you every step of the way with services that will make your relocation smooth please feel free to contact me.

I've assisted others with relocations and if you would like some current references about my services please email me at jlizotte@prunw.com to request my services and I'll be sure to provide those. Its always best to choose a Real Estate Professional based on verifiable references to the services provided.

Regarding your price range- it's a Can Do...that's a median in many neighborhoods.

Please feel free to call or email me directly if you have further questions. My contact details are below. Please check my profile as well to get to know a bit more about me and to read helpful answers to other questions that have been posted.

Best to you!

June Lizotte, Real Estate Broker
Providing REAL Service
Prudential NW Properties
6400 SE Lake Rd., Suite 200
Portland, OR 97222
http://www.junelizotte.com
jlizotte@prunw.com
503-310-8032
Web Reference:  http://www.junelizotte.com
Kimberly Shu…, Agent, Portland, OR
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Portland is a prime market for this price point. In addition to schools, are there other 'must have' requirements you need in a home; location to shops, parks, yard, style of home, etc will also help in determining which of the many neighborhoods would meet your needs.

The East side of Portland has a very different feel than the West and the North to the South varies as well.

Everyone has offered sites to help in determining schools and if you would like to learn more about neighborhoods, please feel free to write to write or call.

Kimberly Shute, Oregon First
971-227-1302
kimberly@LookInPortland.com
Kevin Levy, Agent, Portland, OR
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Hello Jen,
Your question is right up my alley. My main focus is on Portland Relocation and working with people moving in from another state. I built an online relocation web-guide with everything you would need to help with your relocation questions and move at: http://www.RelocationToPortland.com

You can view all schools in the Portland school district including a rating system at:
http://relocationtoportland.com/all-schools-in-the-portland-…
You can view many of the Portland neighborhoods with in-depth detail at:
http://relocationtoportland.com/portland-neighborhoods/

Finding a home in the $250k price range and under should not be hard at all, you should have a wide variety to choose from. I have "Walk Score" into my site so you can see how walkable a potential home of interest is to local restaurants, shops and other places of interest.
I am always excited to introduce people into Portland and have a true passion doing so.
When you are ready to make that move, I will dedicate the time needed to make it happen smoothly.
I hope you enjoy my site and all of its uses, look for the Relocation tips. Feel free to call anytime.

Kevin Levy - Portland Realtor
503-267-7535
M Realty
Jean Pritcha…, , Gresham, OR
Mon Jul 27, 2009
It looks like we all agree there are some good home available in the under $250,000 price range, especially if you are looking at the East side of Portland. Gresham, Clackamas, Oregon City and Sunyside school districts have many homes in your price range. Let me know if you want more infor about specifics.

Jean Pritchard
Principal Broker
Amerivest Realty of Portland
503-680-4449
jeanprit@msn.com
http://www.JeanSellsPortland.com
Nathan Neuba…, Agent, Portland, OR
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Jenn -

Go directly to the public school system's website, either Portland (http://www.pps.k12.or.us/) or Beaverton (http://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/home), and each site has a rating system. Find out which schools rate the best, then you ask a Realtor to get you a list of homes within those school districts.

Two of my last 4 clients moved to Austin, so I'm glad we're seeing some people move this direction!

Nathan Neubauer
Coldwell Banker BSSP
503.929.3782 mobile
Tom Inglesby, Agent, Portland, OR
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Yes, but you are in the starter price range for Portland. We are having a robust market in the under $250,000 with multiple offers in this range. There are some foreclosures in this range also. If you go to my website you can look up schools and test scores. If you would like specific information about areas or homes please feel free to call or email me. Certified USSA approved relocation specialist.

Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group inc
ABR,CRS,ES S.T.A.R eco-broker
503-319-9035
Kevin Sucher, Agent, Beaverton, OR
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Some of the best schools are in the Beaverton school district. $250k price point is a little vague without beds, baths and square footage. If you go to my web site you can setup searches to give you an idea of what is available.
Phil Anderson, , Portland, OR
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Yes there are! "Good" being relative, of course. Some in Portland. Some in the suburbs (Tigard, Tualatin, Oregon City, others).

Send me your criteria and I'll get you a list!

Phillip Anderson
Owner/Broker
New Portland Home
(503) 789-8701 Direct
phil@newportlandhome.com