We've just relocated to Des Moines & would like to lease a house for a year. I'd like to work with a Realtor,

Asked by O'farrell House, 83702 Mon Apr 20, 2009

but I don't know if anyone would work with us since they wouldn't earn a commission working with us (and neither would the listing agent). Any ideas? I'm assuming that there might be home sellers out there whose homes aren't selling in this market who would be open to the idea of leasing to us for a year (to see if the sales market improves), but I still need to see the houses, etc. TIA.

Answers

6
Susan Webster, , Des Moines, IA
Tue Jun 16, 2009
Laura, Most of us have vacant homes that we could recommend to a seller to rent. To do this you will
most likely be asked for a credit report, some references, job etc. In addition it will be important for you
to know a comfortable monthly rent, which will also allow enough for you to pay utilities etc.
Of course most of will counsel you to be able to start saving for a downpayment to purchase your own
home and to start getting an idea of which area of town you will want to live. I recommend looking carefully
at the North of Grand area , south Des Moines and Union Park. All these areas probably qualify for NFC
financing and if you are a first time buyer you may also qualify for IFA money. One program I also recommend is the Home Buyers Education program sponsered by Neighborhood Finance .
Lora, Both Buyer And Seller, Newton, IA
Thu Apr 30, 2009
I am the same boat as you except I'm looking to spending between no more than $1400 a month.

We are relocating to DSM area also and have been researching schools too.

So far I'm leaning towards subarb towns for schools like Norwalk and Grimes.

I would love to hear what sources your using for finding rental homes and any other tips for a quality school and community.

Web Reference:  http://www.trulia.com
Dana Schuster, Agent, Slidell, LA
Tue Apr 21, 2009
At least in my area,all realtors have access to all properties that are listed for lease,and there are a lot of them.
Again,i am speaking only of my area,but the only properties we don't have acccess to are apartments which are handled by a local property management company. I really think any realtor in the area would be happy to work with you. one place to look for a realtor would be the "Find A pro' section here on Trulia. I'd also like to add that there are people who are only interested in renting their properties--they use their rentals for income producing properties & do not want to sell.
Talk to a realtor.
O'farrell Ho…, Both Buyer And Seller, 83702
Mon Apr 20, 2009
Thanks, Nigel (and Dana). That was my understanding as well, that places that are already wanting to rent are advertised privately (e.g. on Craigslist).

I was thinking, though, that some of the properties that have been listed on Trulia for 180+ days, for example, might be open to an offer to lease for a year or more, and was wondering how I could go about contacting Realtors, since each one will only know about their own listings that might be interested in leasing. Also, working without my own Realtor, I'm having a hard time learning about the different communities and schools.

I guess with any home that we'd essentially be taking off the market to lease, we'd need to give access for showings. I would expect that inconvenience to be reflected in the rental price, however.

In terms of our ideal place: A suburban development with a community pool and playground(s), $2500/m range sounds about right, ranch style house or master and 2 bedrooms on main (it would be great to have a bonus room upstairs or finished basement, but we'd want all the bedrooms on main because my child has a physical disability), newer construction or updated well, close to a Montessori school and/or great grade school important. Husband works in Ankeny, so easy access or nearby would be a plus. Nearby grocery store also a plus. Actually Prairie Trail in Ankeny sounds like it would have been perfect ... if it were actually finished!

Thanks for your help.
Nigel Chapman, Agent, Des Moines, IA
Mon Apr 20, 2009
Most rentals in Des Moines are advertised privately. Relators only really get involved with renting their own clients properties. For example, I have a client that may consider renting. His home would be in the $2500 per month range and he would need you to give access for showings and keep the home on the market.

Perhaps if you gave more details; location, monthly rent payment, number of bedrooms, child / pet friendly home etc ? An agent may read this and match you with a potential rental property.

Regards
Nigel Chapman 515 321-8094
Managing Partner
RE/MAX Real Estate Concepts
Des Moines / Altoona, Iowa
Licensed to sell Real Estate in Iowa
Nigel@RealEstateConcepts.net
Dana Schuster, Agent, Slidell, LA
Mon Apr 20, 2009
Realtors do receive some compensation (from the owner of the property) for doing rentals. I am sure a local realtor would be happy to work with you(and some speciaize in rentals) in the hope that you will purchase in the future. if you need a referral for a rental agent in DesMoines please feel free to contact me.