We're under contract, with a HI contingency. The inspection found a major water leak in the basement, which damaged carpet and walls.

Asked by Red_as_copper, Butte, MT Mon Jun 21, 2010

The water had been turned off just prior to the inspection; our inspector couldn't check the plumbing at all; had no idea if the leak was from inside or outside home. Our agent went out of town right in the middle of this and the agent she got to help us doesn't seem to know much about our options. Now, we don't know the extent of water damage; there were a couple other items like cracks in the bricks on the housefront and loose bricks on the top of the chimney we wanted to ask for. Can we ask for the seller to get a pro to determine what is leaking, to tear out the damaged materials (we are concerned about mold as this happened a week ago) so we can see what will need replaced? Can we ask her to pay for a plumber to check the plumbing since our inspector could not? Do you think it's a stretch to ask for the brick repair? Our inspector was concerned because the cracks were vertical, not following the grout line so water may have gotten in behind them. Thoughts?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Jun 21, 2010
If your agent is away, and are not satisfied with the answers from the agent temporarily filling in, contact the broker owner or office manager of the realty office and express all your concerns--or you may wish to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate and see exactly what options you may have..
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Butte Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more