We're looking for a house in Santa Clarita, and we keep getting outbid. Should we start looking elsewhere?

Asked by Beau Beaubien, North Hollywood, CA Thu Jan 15, 2009

looking for
single Family
2400sqft or more
4bed 3 bath or more
prefer hardwood floors
private pool
Decent size backyard
475k or less
Is this possible or should we start looking elsewhere

Answers

12
Neil Mather, Agent, Valencia, CA
Mon Jun 22, 2009
Beau,
There is no where else to purchase a home that you have described unless you go north to the Palmdale area or you buy something small and old that needs a lot of work somewhere in the San Fernando Valley. The market is highly competitive right now, there is not enough inventory of homes to keep up with all of the buyers now. Also, if you are wanting a private pool home that limits your choices significantly and they will sell fast because we have now entered into the summer time. I feel your pain though and just know that you are not the only one out there trying to get into a home with no success.

The only way you are going to even have half a chance right now in purchasing a home is to choose a real estate agent, work with them exclusively and if they feel you are loyal to them then they will put you in their important and serious client list and do everything possible to find you a home right as it hits the market or even before. If you constantly try to work with a different listing agent everytime you see a property on the internet then you will be late in writing an offer 99 times out of 100. Buyers are under the impression that if they use the listing agent they will get a better deal or get somekind of inside information. The deals are usually set up a head of time and given to the sellers when the property is listed. This is not the time for buyers to try and save a buck or two. The home prices have fallen the past two years and with interest rates still really low everyone is getting a pretty darn good deal right now. If you want to find a home and beat out the rest of the buyers out there currently then you need to know when something hits the market that day and come in with your best and final offer within 24 hours. I hate to say it, but it is like a mini 2005 right now for homes listed around $550,000 or less.
Feel free to call us anytime.

Neil Mather - THE MATHER TEAM
Keller Williams VIP Properties in Valencia
661-600-2422
neilmather@kw.com
Web Reference:  http://www.matherteam.com
Tvandemark, , 91355
Sat Jun 20, 2009
Hi Beau,

Stay positive and you will obtain a home you want. With that said, you really need to determine how bad you want a particular house and then come in with a very stong offer, best you can for that transaction. Think of it as your "First and Final Offer" the first time you submit. Many multiple offer situations fit this scenario.

If your not working with a Realtor, you have a nice list of agents below that can assist you. Do keep in mind, even with one of these solid agents listed below or myself, the reality is that you may still run into the same scenario once or twice, since there are some strong cash buyers out there, unless you are an all cash buyer too.

There may be a higher reason for your journey and I am sure the home you want is just around the corner. One thing for sure, being in the game this long, you have had to of learned a lot about real estate, and it is only going to benefit you and those around you in the long run. Stay focused on your target as we are expecting a new wave of foreclosures to hit the market.

Stay prepared, don't get discouraged and stay in the game to win!
TV-Tracy Van De Mark
(661) 310-4004
Crystal Belle, , Santa Clarita, CA
Sat Jun 20, 2009
Hi Beau,

The Santa Clarita Valley is a wonderful place to live and I think that once you get your home here you'll be very happy to be a part of this community. My advice to you;

-Don't give up!
-Obviously, no low balling.
-Use a buyer broker contract to show that you are a serious & committed buyer.
-If you are able to, increase your earnest money deposit
-Be open to FSBO's.
-Use online social networking (like facebook) to let everyone know what you're looking for, if something becomes available hopefully this will give you an opportunity to make your offer before it comes on the market.

Good Luck,
Crystal Belle
Silver Creek Realty
661-565-8623
Jose Peralta, Agent, Valencia, CA
Fri Jan 16, 2009
Beau,

Because of the combination of low prices and low rates there has been an increase in home sales over the last 3 months. This should not discourage you from searching buy rather encourage you that the market isn't as grim as the media has made it out to be.

Like everyone else here my team would be happy to speak with you if you are not already working with a Realtor. Making sure that you are making competitive offers and getting you the information you need as soon as possible to make an informed decision are just some of the things my team can do to make sure that you will get the home that you like. I work with Remax of Santa Clarita and we are the number 1 office in California and Hawaii. When you have a network like ours it gives our clients the peace of mind that we have the best relationships with some of the top agents in valley. Please feel free to contact me to give us the opportunity to show you exactly what we can do for you.

Jose Peralta
REALTOR
RE/MAX
#1 Office In California
27720 Dickason Dr.
Valencia, CA 91355
Mobile: 818-723-7204
Office: 661-702-4500
Fax: 661-702-4505
Neil Mather, Agent, Valencia, CA
Fri Jan 16, 2009
Dear Beau,
If you are not currently working with a Real Estate agent I would be more than willing to meet with you at my office and discuss just how you can purchase a home in this market. If you don't feel comfortable meeting please feel free to call me. No strings attached, no contracts, you don't even have to use me as your agent. The more educated buyers we have in this market the better it will be. Please feel free to contact me.
661-600-2422
Joel Javan, , Santa Clarita, CA
Fri Jan 16, 2009
Beau,

I looked at your profile and it seems that you have been trying to purchase your home since at least July last year.

The question of whether you are working with a Realtor keeps coming up as part of answers to all your questions, but have not been addressed so I'm going to ask that question again. Are you working with a Realtor? All things equal, you would significantly increase your chances if you have a Realtor representing you. Will you be needing financing or are you buying cash? If you need financing, getting pre-approved for a home loan and submitting a letter of pre-approval together with your offer would help tremendously as well.

I could represent you as a Realtor and could refer you to a Loan Consultant, who I work closely with, to get you pre-approved.

Call or email me and I would set up a search page for you where you can look at properties that match your search criteria online, and when you find something you'd like to see in person, call me and we could take a look.

Terra Bruns, Agent, Santa Clarita, CA
Fri Jan 16, 2009
Do you have a realtor assisting you? If not, my team and I would be more than happy to address all of your concerns, and put together a winning game plan that will meet everyone's needs, wants, and desires. Please call me if I can be of service. 661.373.0151. I have worked in this valley for 4 years as a realtor, and I know what it takes to get the job done for my clients, after all, my motto is, "My Name Means Earth, and I Mean Business" we look forward to hearing from you!
Michael Barr…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Thu Jan 15, 2009
Hi there Beau. This is an unfortunate situation. Do you have a realtor helping you with these offers.
Are you bidding on bank owned properties?
I think you should find the home that you really like and really strategize carefully on how to get it. It is not not easy to get the one you want so you really need to have expert advice and up to date information and reports which will all help you make an informed and intelligent decision which should get you what you want..
Packaging your offer and presenting in person is also very important. There are lots of different ways that your offer can stand out from the others. Again as with any offer presentation. Documentation, stats, reports, presenting in person all really help

Hope this was useful
Kind Regards
Michael Barron
Realtor/MBA
First Team Real Estate
Marc Schwartz, Agent, Chatsworth, CA
Thu Jan 15, 2009
Hello Beau,

I've been in Real Estate for over 19 years and I understand how you feel, the best advice is to keep going strong. If you would to get up to the minute MLS updates, please visit http://www.PropertySearch411.com to sign up for a free account. This site is a direct feed to our MLS and will even send you daily emails on homes that match your criteria. It's a good site to use. I moved from the SFV to Santa Clarita and it was the BEST move I've ever done. Call or email to get moving. Marc 661-297-1925.
Web Reference:  http://www.MarcSchwartz.com
Frederick Ta…, Agent, Valencia, CA
Thu Jan 15, 2009
Beau,

As Bob said, with your critera you only have 1 listing, so if you need to move quickly and are stuck with that critera you may want to start looking at other areas. If you want to look at home with a less than 2400 but have nice layouts then your numbers increase.

Call me or search my website for homes above 2000 sq ft, 4 bed, 3 bath and I can help you find the right home for you.

I have seen floor plans with 2,000 sq ft look bigger than floor plans with 2,500 sq ft.

Fred
Web Reference:  http://www.fredscvhomes.com
BOB Khalsa, Agent, Newhall, CA
Thu Jan 15, 2009
Hello Beau:

With your criteria I am coming up with one property built in 2000 with 5 beds and 3 baths, 2530 SF with hardwood floors and a private pool. It is listed for $449,000. This house has been 12 days on the market and per the listing has an approved short sale at $470,000. It's only drawback is that it does not seem to have a big backyard. If you need to see details of the property and pictures let me know. Also you have not specified which area in Santa Clarita you prefer (Newhall, Valencia, Saugus, Canyon Country or Stevenson Ranch which technically is not a part of Santa Clarita).

Bob Khalsa
Broker
United America Realty
bobfoxbat@gmail.com
661-313-6107
http://www.bobkhalsa.com
Tvandemark, , 91355
Thu Jan 15, 2009
Hi Beau,

Not necessarily, only if you want to look elsewhere. Desirable Santa Clarita has been selling for 1 year as other communities have been waking up in the last few months. With the low rates and low prices many forget once the list price hits the selling point bank owned properties (if that is what you are bidding on) on average are selling at 95% to over 100% list price. Many think they can low ball at this time...not with multiple offer situations. Plus, how strong of a buyer are you and what type of properties are you looking at (sellers?). You have to get in the ball park to get in the game.

Let me know if I can assist. Serving AV, SCV, SFV and Ventura County. Got your running shoes on?
TV
(661) 310-4004
Web Reference:  http://TVandemark.com