Susan Plummer, Other/Just Looking in

We're currently looking in Evergreen but are worried about road conditions. Any advice as to 285 vs I-70 and as to the best and worst roads?

Asked by Susan Plummer, Mon Dec 6, 2010

Answers

5
Lloyd Newton, Agent, CO,
Thu Jul 19, 2012
Highway 285 easier drive in summer and winter. Fewer trucks, visitors and plowed better than 70 for god knows what reason.
Lloyd Newton, Agent, CO,
Thu Jul 19, 2012
Best 285 easier drive plowed better in snow. Lloyd Newton 303 803 5723 Signature realty
Judith Downes, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Evergreen, CO
Wed May 23, 2012
Hi Susan. I am Judy downes, a Mortgage Banker who lives in Evergreen. Both are good roads, depending on traffic. You can cut accross from Rte. 73 from Conifer or Parmelee Gulch or Turkey Creek to I-70 if traffic is bad on 285 or 70, or come up 73 from Morrison. All roads are good. In that 70 is steep in some parts, in the winter, I sometimes take the canyon, meaning up from Morrison, but, even my sports car had little trouble in the winter.

As for places where you might live, Evergreen is big and lots of places could work, though if you are concerned about roads, there are certain places you may wish to avoid, like the area above the Clear Creek High school, off 70 in western Evergreen.

If you are looking for lending, I'd be happy to help you and can be reached at jdownes@thechampionbank.com, but whatever, Evergreen is a nice place.
Margaret Sta…, Agent, Evergreen, CO
Thu Jan 13, 2011
Hi Susan:
You contacted me at Zillow in early December. I've lived in Evergreen since the early 70s. In those days the roads were nasty, but they are completely improved now. 285 going through Conifer is a 4-lane highway (used to be a 2-lane with stop lights) I70 is excellent and Evergreen Parkway - Highway 74 - is also 4 lane most of the way. Many streets are already paved, but only 35-40% of homes are on public water and sewer. The rest are on well and septic - not a bad thing considering how wonderful the water is. I have an easy form called "Buyer's Wish List" that makes determining your preferences very easy. I can email if you'd like. Still have your personal email address I believe.

I did try to call the phone number you left, but did not connect with you Please try me again - http://www.MargaretStapleton.com or 303-618-1925. Take care

Margaret
John Giefer, Agent, Denver, CO
Mon Dec 13, 2010

I grew up in Conifer and traveled down 285 everyday for 15 years. My parents now live in Evergreen, and since I’m a avid skier I travel I-70 all the time.

Highway 285:
CDOT is making improvements to 285 all the time. The Conifer is area is becoming very popular and growing very quickly. Unfortunately that means more cars on the road. The road is safe, but just keep in mind that it’s a highway and not an Interstate. It’s narrower and more curvy then I-70, but very safe. When growing up in Conifer my family never had a 4-wheel drive vehicle. We believed in good snow tires on a front wheel drive vehicles and never had any major issues. Both roads are very busy on holiday weekends, except to see bumper to bumper traffic.

Interstate -70
I-70 from Evergreen to Denver is also a safe road. Its an Interstate with 3 or 4 lanes in each direction. During the ski season the road is busy on the weekends in the morning and in the evenings with ski traffic. Most of the traffic jams are located West of Evergreen at the bottom of Floyd Hill where the road drops down to 2 lanes. Between Evergreen the Denver the road opens up to 3 or 4 lanes and the traffic moves along pretty good.

If traffic concerns are a major issue, “I think” the I-70 corridor is a better bet on a day to day basis. Its wider with more lanes and has a frontage road if there is a problem on I-70. Other alternatives from Evergreen to Denver include going through Kittredge on Highway 74. It all depends on are where you’re looking to live in the Evergreen area and where your headed to in the Denver area.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I’m happy to help.

John