We're buying a house that hasn't been lived in for over a year. During the home inspection today we found

Asked by Firsttimehomebuyer, Kalispell, MT Sat Jun 13, 2009

out that the water is not turned on so the home inspection is incomplete. Should we ask for a date extension in the buy/sell agreement to give us time to turn on water and do a test? Should we ask the sellers for some contingency money so that if after closing we turn on the water and pipes burst we can pay for repairs? How do we proceed?

Answers

3
Travis Martinez’s answer
Travis Marti…, Agent, Hamilton, MT
Mon Sep 7, 2009
Without a doubt get the water turned on before closing. Asking for a seller hold-back will only cover so much. Depending on how and if it was winterized there could be massive damage that might make you reconsider buying the house at all; even if the sellers were to fix it. Water damage can be a nasty thing.
Joede Vanek, , Stevensville, MT
Wed Jul 1, 2009
I would definitely recommend a complete home inspection before purchasing! If a satisfactory home inspection was a contingecy on your contract and it wasn't satisfied, you have the right to extend, cancel, or modify your offer to purchase. Good luck to you.
Andrew Herren, Agent, Milledgeville, GA
Sat Jun 13, 2009
I would figure out a way to get the water on before closing if I paid for it myself. I had one here in central Georgia that sat (a foreclosure) for a year before it was on the market. Even with our temperate climate there was a lot of damage from frozen pipes. Luckily the asset company paid for the $4000+ worth of damage. I would not consider a home inspection complete unless all utilities were functional. In Georgia for FHA or USDA the appraiser has to note that the water (among other things) is functional.