We paid money to a title company for new home construction. Can the builder obtain $ from the title co. to build the house?

Asked by Justind, Los Angeles County, CA Fri Feb 18, 2011

We paid money to a title company for new home construction. The builder obtained the $ from the title co (is this legal?), then took 3 yrs instead of 1 to finish the property (issue 1). Because of the addtl time, our credit score went down and we were unable to take over the property. We then had to make loan payments to the builder to pay the loan company, but he pocketed the money (issue 2). What type of legal action can we take?

Answers

4
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Feb 19, 2011
Justind,

There is no way for any of us to comment on this intelligently without knowing more facts, but even then it would be irresponsible to do anything but recommend you find an attorney in your area who specializes in this area of law.

I think you would find this forum more useful if you post another question asking for attorney recommendations.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Feb 18, 2011
Justind:

Bottom line, this a legal matter. Obtain legal representation immediately!

Best, Steve
Cricket Yee, Agent, Sherman Oaks, CA
Fri Feb 18, 2011
Oh boy, this is a mess. I am afraid you are in legal land-- it would be best to contact a real estate attorney. I might have a referral for you-- I just have to check if he does this aspect of the law.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri Feb 18, 2011
Justin,

You hit the nail on the head......."What type of legal action can we take?"

Any legal action would be best approached through an attorney.