We own a Condo in my name. Can we still qualify for the $7500 tax credit if we buy a house in my wife's name?

Asked by Eric Schauberger, Okemos, MI Thu Aug 7, 2008

My wife and I are contemplating moving to a different city to be closer to her work. We currently live in a condo, which is in my name (we never added her). Can we still qualify for the "first-time home buyers get up to $7,500 tax credit" from the recent Housing bill if we buy the house in my wife's name or does our being married negate us from the credit? Is this a smart thing to do or would we be walking a thin line?

Answers

3
Eric Schaube…, Both Buyer And Seller, Okemos, MI
Thu Aug 7, 2008
Nevermind. I found the answer at http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/faq.php#2

Hopefully this is helpful to others.

What is the definition of a first-time home buyer?
The law defines "first-time home buyer" as a buyer who has not owned a principal residence during the three-year period prior to the purchase. For married taxpayers, the law tests homeownership history of both the home buyer and his/her spouse. For example, if you have not owned a home in the past three years but your spouse has owned a principal residence, neither you nor your spouse qualifies for the first-time home buyer tax credit.
Debt Free Da…, , 85260
Tue Aug 12, 2008
Speak with your banker or mortgage professional about this. They will have the answer for you.
Maureen Fran…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Thu Aug 7, 2008
Eric, thanks for posting the answer. I was wondering the same thing myself and had not researched the answer. This credit is so new that there are a lot of misconceptions about it. I know a lot of people do not understand that the credit actually has to be repaid over 15 years, so it is essentially an interest free loan. Of course, I would accept a 15 year interest free loan any day!
Web Reference:  http://miOaklandCounty.com