We may be relocating from Denver to Nashville, TN. Do the homes in TN have basements? Thanks! Pam

Asked by Pam Zahringer, Parker, CO Sat Sep 6, 2008

Answers

9
Michelle Sar…, , Hendersonville, TN
Fri Oct 10, 2008
Hi Pam,

I moved here from Parker about 5 years ago. We used to live off of Parker Road and Mainstreet. We love it out here, although you can't beat the views of the foothills!

To answer your question, just like the answers below, Nashville does have basements. The basements here are nothing like we are used to in Denver though and you will not find many homes that have true basements in Nashville. Stephen is correct, the basements are constructed differently and are very expensive to do in new construction. In existing homes, they are few and far between

Hope this helps and GO BRONCOS!

Michelle Sarabia
615-594-3171
Michelle, I used to live in Parker (loved it!) in Bradbury Farms. I was relocated to Chicago in 2011 and am now being relocated to Nashville. How do you like Nashville compared to Parker. I loved Colorado and would absolutely love to move back there. I stayed in Nashville for a weekend years ago and enjoyed my stay, but am not sure I would actually like living there. Please tell me some the reasons why I would like it there. Thanks so much!

Sha
Flag Fri Nov 14, 2014
Sharon Wayman, Agent, Nashville, TN
Thu Oct 2, 2008
Yes! We have basements! Some with two separate areas of living space. Just depends on your needs.
Sharon
stephen stri…, Agent, Nashville, TN
Wed Oct 1, 2008
Pam,
I used to live in Colorado Springs and have done quite a bit of home construction before I became a Realtor. There are basements here Nashville just like the other Realtors are saying. The BIGGEST difference in which most would not know is how the basements are constructed. The basement walls in Colorado are literally "hanging walls" which allow for the earth to flex and settle without cracking your walls. Here there is no code for that because obviously the soil is different. I am telling you all this because the basements are different here than they are there. True basements are harder to find here. Most of them are walk-out basements....just a house built on a slope. Any of the great Realtors below or myself can send you the information you need on a "true" basement.
Stephen Strickhausen
615-480-5770
Web Reference:  http://www.sstrickhausen.com
The Staler G…, Agent, Brentwood, TN
Tue Sep 30, 2008
Pam, we do have basements here in Nashville although they may not be as easy to find as in some other parts of the country. The reason is that our area is really rocky below the surface and so it typically costs quite a bit more to build a basement than a crawlspace or slab foundation. So builders often just built/build tall crawlspaces or slabs to keep costs down. However, I know lots of places to look for basment homes having been a Realtor here for the past 10 years. I'd like to see if I could help you in your search.

PS. JD is right. A basement is great when the weather turns frightful.

Josh LaWarre
Rochford Realty
6500 Stableford Lane
Franklin, TN, 37069
Web Reference:  http://www.joannestaler.com
J. D. Inman, , Franklin, TN
Tue Sep 9, 2008
Yes, LOTS of basements. But here they are called FRAIDY HOLES! Its where we run when the weatherman or weatherwoman shows our street on the radar. I love basement homes just for the peace of mind! When you sell in Denver, give Dan Dixon a call. He's my best friends dad and has been a Realtor out there for years... Works a lot with the Bronco guys. Tell him J. D. said "Hi."
Laura Scott, Agent, Brentwood, TN
Sun Sep 7, 2008
Hi Pam,
That is a very good question, Pam, because our terrain may be very different from yours and we have some restrictions imposed by that....for instance, if the lot slopes to the back we can have a walk-out basement and the foundation is built taller in the back.....that would be a natural terrain for a basement...

One of the reasons that we look for the natural terrain is that the Middle Tennesee area has a limestone rock bed only 5- 10 ft ( or more) below the grade and you may need to blast to get a basement in....or you could build on top and bring in fill dirt in front.....all of these add a lot of cost to the price of a house, so the large production builders in this area in general build on a crawl space.

If you are looking for extra space, we usually provide a large space over the garage for playrooms, recreation rooms, and/or media rooms....

If you would like a list of basement homes in the area, feel free to contact me for a customized report that can automatically e-mail that information to you....this would give you an idea of the types of homes here that have those basements.....Laura
Web Reference:  http://www.Laura-Scott.com
Stephanie &…, Agent, Nashville, TN
Sat Sep 6, 2008
Absolutely! It often depends on the age of the home and of course the features of the lot. In newer contstruction homes an attached garage is more the norm, but many brick homes of the 1950s era will offer walk-out basements. Here are a few neighborhoods where you are likely to find basements: Donelson, Hermitage, Haywood Hills, Whisering Hills, Crieve Hall, Charlotte Park, West Meade, Maplewood and Rosebank. You can explore those areas in the neighborhood section of my website which is linked below.

I also have the capability of sending automated listings that feature basements if you're interested.

Best to you.
Dena Parker…, , Tennessee
Sat Sep 6, 2008
You can find homes with basements in the Nashville area, but it is probably not as common as where you are currently. We have quite a bit of limestone in the area that makes digging for basements challenging. However, our topography allows for basements to be a more natural fit. If you're okay having a sloped lot, you should be able to find a home with a basement to your satisfaction.
Web Reference:  http://homenashvilletn.com
Fred Cope, Agent, Goodlettsville, TN
Sat Sep 6, 2008
Hello Pam,

Come on down to Nashville. Of course from Denver--most every place is down. You live in a beautiful part of the world, and so do I. Middle Tennessee is beautiful.

In a word, the answer to your question is "YES." Many homes in Tennessee do have basements. There is a lot of limestone in the area, so foundations are prevalently either crawl space or basement. There are homes built on concrete slab as well. Many homebuyers want basements because they offer additional space for very little more cost. Family rooms, rec-rooms, workshops, additional bedroom space are all popular uses of basements.

As in other areas, each basements must stand on its own merit. Have you had good/bad experiences with basements? Are you interested in inished or unfinished basement space?

You are welcome to go to my website, select the GREATER NASHVILLE MLS tab, and search homes isted in Middle Tennessee. Refine your search for homes with basements, etc. You can choose the LOOKING FOR A HOME search tab, and set up an email alert to let your know immediately when new homes (meeting your criteria) come on the market. ALL OF THIS IS FREE and without obligation. The only information required of you is a valid email address for the reports.

I'm happy to answer any additional questions you may have. Feel free to use my website...http://www.LookingForHomes.org

Respectfully,

Fred Cope,
The Realty Association