Ctmover, Home Buyer in West Hartford, CT

We may be moving to the Denver area from CT. Foremost on our list is a neighborhood loaded with kids as we have 2 and want them to feel comfortable

Asked by Ctmover, West Hartford, CT Thu Feb 11, 2010

We used to live in Wash Park 10 years ago but that was before kids and thus I have no idea where to start. Budget 400-450. 3-4 BR, 2.5 BA. LIke I said - lots of families and good schools is all we want. The type of house doesn't matter - I'll save that for when the kids graduate!

Answers

35
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Fri Feb 19, 2010
Hi Ctmover:

If you would like me to get together some photos of several neighborhoods in the Denver/Boulder area, let me know. I would be happy to do it.

Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
303.473.1926
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Wed Feb 17, 2010
Hi Ctmover:

I see you have lots of answers from Denver itself and some of the closer in suburbs. However, I would suggest you take a good look at Boulder, which consistently is rated one of the best places to live in the United States! In fact, just this week, Boulder was rated the healthiest and happiest city in the country. http://tinyurl.com/ydjdash

You can take a web tour of the Boulder County area at my blog entry about Boulder: http://tinyurl.com/mvhua9

But, if you want to explore the feel and "flavor" of the area, I would suggest you check out the web address below. It is a facebook page I manage for people moving to the Boulder County area. I'm sure you will agree that Boulder County is a great place to live!

So, please feel free to give me a call if you would like to learn more about the area (including Boulder's southern suburbs like Denver, which is a very nice city also!)

Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
Offices in Boulder, Denver, Westminster, Centennial and Longmont
303.473.1926
Web Reference:  http://tinyurl.com/yf5mtjy
The Kinslow…, Agent, Centennial, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Hello Conneticut Mover,

There's so many choices, you may need to narrow down a few agents to email back and forth with and narrow down what other things you would like in your new home and neighborhood. Yesterday I went on a listing presentation with a couple who lived in and loved Wash Park until they started their family. About 8 years ago they moved from Wash Park to Greenwood Village now they want a larger home but still want to stay in Greenwood Village, they said for the schools and the kids and the proximity to everything. Like Wash Park, Greenwood Village is a very desirable area and a little more expensive. Here's a link to some homes that are currently available in Greenwood Village. I only pulled up homes up to $500,000.

http://www.coloradohomes.com/property/PropertyResults.aspx?S…

In the $400,000 to $450,000 price range you are going to find that you have a lot of buying power in the surrounding suburbs of Denver. My family moved to Orlando for a year, when we came back we went right to the Cherry Creek School District which takes in a large portion of the South and Southeast metro area, with plenty of choices for beautiful homes. Neighborhoods with community pools, parks, trails, recreation centers. Our neighborhood won community of the year in 2008. We have awesome pool parties. They have kids pool parties where you drop off the kids and the parents get a few hours to go out to dinner or whatever. The kids get to dive for coins and have treats and play with their friends. The neighborhood elementary school does fun things like movie nights where they put up a big screen and outside and everyone from the neighborhood can bring their lawn chairs or blankets and watch a movie with friends. It's definitely a great neighborhood.

Have fun shopping and I hope you find what you're looking for,

Sandy Kinslow
The Kinslow Team
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
kinslowteam@aol.com
Elite Proper…, , Parker, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Welcome back to Colorado! There are tons of neighbors that are great with children no matter what area you are looking in whether it is in or around Denver, north, south, east or west. If you don't have any particular preferences as to where, I would also suggest the Parker area. It is LOADED with kids and families as well as tons of outdoor activities, trails etc. Douglas County schools are wonderful for education and sports. I grew up in Parker and can attest personally to this! Parker is 20 - 30 minutes to downtown Denver, accessible to the mountains, and not to far from Castle Rock and Co Springs as well. You have Castlewood Canyon for hiking, lots of rec centers etc. Tons to offer! Louisville area is also exceptionally family friendly. It is near Boulder north/east of Denver. Home prices are going to be higher for what you get, but it's a great area too. Enjoy the moving process and let me know if I can answer any more questions for you!
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Mon Apr 12, 2010
Hello again, CTmover:

Thought you might want to take a look at these web pages you may find helpful:

What Money says about Longmont, the best place to live
http://bit.ly/aZi6hl

Top 10 things to do in Colorado before you die
http://www.denverpost.com/style/ci_5054084?source=pop
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Mon Apr 12, 2010
Hello Ctmover,
Boulder County has great schools, great recreation opportunities and has great entertainment, too. Longmont is very family oriented, and has especially lovely homes in the price range you are seeking. There are league games, and activities associated with the library, the YMCA and more.

http://www.google.com/profiles/Bouldersuz
http://bouldersuz.wordpress.com/about/

By the way, the commute into downtown Denver is under an hour, even in rush hour. It's 49 minutes to Coors Field from Longmont. Other sports venues are in the same area. Of course, Boulder and Fort Collins also offer college ball. Commutes over to Boulder average about 25 minutes.

And, you only about one hour from Rocky Mountain National Park and skiing at Eldora. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. Centrally located, inexpensive and plenty of outdoor activities.

Call 720 810-0683. I am happy to discuss Boulder County anytime.

Best- SuZ
Lori Jarrett, Home Owner, Kersey, CO
Fri Feb 26, 2010
Hello Ctmover :)
I just wanted to check back in with you and see how your relocation to Colorado is going for you and your family. Probably a bit overwhelming I would guess :) Anyway, I hope you are doing well and if you are looking into the Northern Colorado areas including Boulder, Larimer or Weld Counties I would love to visit with you.

All the best to you,

Lori
Voices Member, , Denver, CO
Fri Feb 26, 2010
I am currently working with several clients looking to purchase in the Wash Park area. Great choice! I am quite familiar with what is now available in your price range. The site below is exclusively set for homes for sale in the Wash Park area and has Washinton Park information and neighborhood links.
Susan Woods, , Denver, CO
Fri Feb 19, 2010
Hello CT mover,
There are so many great areas in the great metro area to live and play in might feel overwhelming, I I would advise you the best way to narrow down your search is think about where you are going to work and play. Are you commuting every day? Are you able to tele commute? Do you want to be within 1 hr of the airport? 1 hr to the slopes? You have a bit of a head start because you have lived here before.
Call or email me or a Realtor that you felt a connection to on this website, and we'll help you go from there.
PS - I am partial to some of the western Denver suburbs (Littleton, Lakewood) and even the foothills. 30 minutes or less to pretty much anywhere!
I too lived in Wash Park until my kids were born, and then needed to spread out some.
Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best of luck!

Susan Woods
susan@360rei.com
Sarah Solomon, Agent, Greenwood Village, CO
Wed Feb 17, 2010
Every town and city in Denver is great! Greatschools.com is a awesome resource for investigating the schools! Many places have been voted "best place to live, thrive- ..." our brokerage firm works out of Parker/Castle Rock. I actually have a very well priced foreclosure, new construction below 300k 3 bedroom, master suite, main floor study, formal living, dining, a block from the pool, huge lot, 3 car, new everything! If you are interested in getting a foreclosure deal- call me direct 303.598.8738! Best wishes on your search!!
PaintingDenv…, , Denver, CO
Wed Feb 17, 2010
Welcome back to Colorado! Most areas mentioned are great with plenty of parks which offer family activities. If we can be any assistance in interior painting or exterior painting needs, don't hesitate contacting, as we provide professional painting of the State of Colorado, based in Denver. ~Cal
Web Reference:  http://paintingdenver.net/
Julie Reddin…, , Highlands Ranch, CO
Sun Feb 14, 2010
Hi, I relocated here 5 years ago with 2 children (now aged 7 and 10). Honestly it took me 2 years to find the area I wanted to be (Highlands Ranch). Now you have an advantage that you have lived here before. But I truely believe that you 'will know' when you see the area - style and age of home, architecture, landscape, larger lots, view of mountains, amenities - each area offers something a bit different. You have a great budget and I think you will be spoiled for choice. So drive around and see what feels right. Check our http://greatschools.org for schools (Douglas and Cherry Creek rank high). Love the rec centers of Highlands Ranch. Being a 'Relocater myself', I would be delighted to answer any questions you have.
Chip Bruss, Agent, Boulder, CO
Fri Feb 12, 2010
I noticed most of the answers were recommending south Denver locations, such as Cherry Creek and Highlands Ranch, which are both nice areas. But I recently relocated from Columbus, OH and when I did my research, I fell in love with the north communities around Broomfield and Boulder County. Boulder County schools is arguably the best school district in Denver and covers all of Boulder County into parts of Broomfield. Towns like Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, and even Boulder itself offer a fantastic lifestyle, great neighborhoods, and real estate home values are ahead of the pack in all these communities. My family choose Broomfield and my kids go to Boulder County Schools. We love it. It's equadistant to Boulder and Denver, we can get to the mountains easily and the open space around Boulder is unsurpassed with outdoor activities. The neighborhoods are great and the sense of community spirit is very high. Lots of community involvement, volunteerism, and a small town feel near a big city. I would recommend including this area in your search.
Chip Bruss
720-271-9898
Brian Burke, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
There are great areas to live in here is the metro area. Home buyers that are driven by Schools lately are requesting Rock Canyon High School in Highlands ranch. Highlands Ranch is a planned Community based on kids and Families. It has many parks, Trails. 4 rec centers and many shops. Here is a link to the homes and more info. Also you can search by Schools as well.
http://www.kennarealestate.com/highlands-ranch-real-estate/4…

Brian
Kimberly Ryan, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Hey CT,
My top choice for families with a great Colorado lifestyle would be Ken Caryl. Kids,schools, wildlife,horses,tennis, red rocks....I could go on and on...
Call me and I will get my Pom Poms out to tell you more or check out my website
http://www.BuyKenCaryl.com
Kimberly Ryan
303-523-8333
Web Reference:  http://www.BuyKenCaryl.com
Marianne Ban…, Agent, Lone Tree, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Ctmover, there are so many areas to choose from. Maybe you can narrow it down by commute to work, are you kids involved in sports, etc, and what kind of living do you want to do. More urban or suburban?

ps - are you buried in snow???

Marianne Bandy
RE/MAX Professionals
303-746-7799
Jennifer Ritz, , Southaven, MS
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Hi, Douglas County School District and Cherry Creek School District , I believe are the best. I would be happy to help you. Please visit my website to learn more about Denver and me!
Rebecca Hite, Agent, Englewood, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
We moved here from Boston 13 years ago and love the Greenwood Village / Cherry Creek Schools area. However there are many fabulous neighborhoods from north, south, east and west and with good schools. I think much of the choice is personal preference. Coming from the east coast we wanted an area with more trees and we were fine with the older homes. Some buyers want newer homes or closer to the mountains. I think a good house hunting trip would allow you to narrow down your options and then zero in on the home of your choice. I would be happy to provide property listings for you to review or speak with you more in depth.

Rebecca Hite
Huntington Properties LLC,
8002 E Arapahoe Rd, Suite 100
Centennial CO 80111
303-929-3555 - mobile
Jerome Self, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
I would highly recommend the Cherry Creek school district. If you need to stay closer to Denver I would suggest Southeast Denver or the Greenwood Village area in order to stay within this district. What are the basics that you are looking for in a home (besides just the price range)? I will be happy to send you a list of properties in the SE Denver/Greenwood Village areas that meet your qualifications. Please call me at 303-489-9065 or email me at jerome.self@gmail.com.

Jerome D. Self
Keller Williams Southlands
Direct: 303-489-9065
Fax: 303-957-5730
Email: jerome.self@gmail.com
Carole Higgi…, Agent, Suttons Bay, MI
Thu Feb 11, 2010
I don't know how old your kids are but a good neighborhood for k-8 schoolers is the area that feeds into Slavens school. You will be able to find a nice home there for 450-600k. Kids abound- the neighborhood revolves around the school and it is a generally great place to be. Other highly rated primary schools include Carson elementary in Bonnie Brae area, Steck and Bromwell Cherry Creek area, University Park elementary and Southmoor elementary, neighborhoods by the same name. If your kids are highschoolers you will probably want to get them into Cherry Creek High School if at all possible. It is located in Greenwood Village and the cost of housing there can be very steep. There are a couple of highly rated highschools in Jefferson County as well. They would likely place your housing in Arvada and of course there are well rated primary and middle schools in JeffCo too. Whatever you do - have fun! Colorado iss a great place to raise a family. Also, just a little tip: find a lender in CO even if you have someone you work with in Connecticut. A Colorado lender will be a plus as you move through your transaction. GOOD LUCK!
Derrek Patri…, Agent, Greenwood Village, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
I can speak to Highlands Ranch to meet any need. I specialize in Highlands Ranch. I live here, buy here and sell here. Great schools, great kids, great rec centers. Let me know how I can help!
http://www.hrcaonline.org/

Derrek S. Patrick
303-470-9880
derrek.patrick@coloradohomes.com
Web Reference:  http://www.derrekpatrick.com
Robert McGui…, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Ctmover,

It sounds like you are interested in the Denver Metro area. You are familiar with Wash Park and Platt Park. Some other areas are Park Hill, Mayfair, and other Central Denver locations. I think the concensus for most of us who work the Denver area would be the Stapleton Redevelopment area for the place with great schools and 'loaded' with kids. My clients who live there are also thrilled with the other amenities there including parks, restaurants, entertainment, and shopping. Stapleton is also close to Downtown, Cherry Creek, and all of the benefits of Denver proper. This could work also well with the price range that you are considering. Let me know if I can be of futher service to you. Welcome to Denver.

Robert McGuire ASR
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
rmcguire@yourcastle.org
http://www.rmcguire.yourcastle.org
Nancy Mikoda, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Welcome to Colorado. In the last 10 years, a lot has changed in our market. If you are interested in buying out of central Denver their are great buyers in your price range since it is a buyers market for homes over $400,000 in most neighborhoods. We do an analysis of homes and neighborhoods so you can find out where they are appreciating as well as getting great schools for your children. Feel free to contact me and we can send any information you may be missing to make your decision. Happy house hunting!
Susan Canniz…, , Denver, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Dear CT HomeBuyer:

The coolest areas to be in for kids, with great schools, are Anthem Highlands, and Highlands Ranch, depending on how close you need to be to work/commute times. Anthem Highlands is a gorgeous new community, built by Pulte Homes, just west of I-25 & Hwy 7. This is a new community where the builder got it right! Every house has some vantage point with a view of the Mountains. It also has a knocked out rec center with every activity for adults and kids.

THe same is true with any of the Highlands Ranch communities. You can use any of their rec centers, with kid's slides & sprays, indoor/outdoor pools, no matter which section of the neighborhood you live in. And Douglas County schools are the top Denver choice! Highlands Ranch is a postal designation but not an incorporated city. Also, Douglas County is offering grant money to help with down payments!

Both areas offer plenty of new-built homes within your price range. I'd be glad to expand on these ideas further. Please feel free to contact me at zzaro5@hotmail.com or 303-881-4120 (cell).

Susan Cannizzaro
Accredited Buyer Representative
Corporate Relocation and Mobility Specialist
Cherry Creek GMAC Real Estate
303-881-4120
Marianne Ban…, Agent, Lone Tree, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Check out http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Denver-Colorado.aspx for demographic information. Also, you can go to http://www.bandyhomes.com/local_resources for more information, as well as to get a good grip on housing costs in Denver. I've been here all my life, just call if you have questions.

Marianne Bandy
RE/MAX Professionals
303-746-7799
http://www.bandyhomes.com
Lori Jarrett, Home Owner, Kersey, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
How fun! I really wish you the best in your search for the right neighborhood for your family. I've attached a link for information on communities in Northern Colorado if you are considering suburban areas.

http://www.takemehomerealestate.com/local_info.html

Lori Jarrett, Broker/Owner
Take Me Home Real Estate, LLC
970-378-2615
877-856-3466
Heather Less…, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Hello. Depending on where you will be working; there are a lot of great neighborhoods for kids and great schools. Jefferson County, Douglas county and Arapahoe County all have very reputable school systems and programs plus great housing. I live on the South part of town in ar area where kids are everywhere and we love the schools. We are in Lone Tree/Highlands Ranch. I have sold numeroius home to families in other areas as well who have the same feedback. It really depends on what side of Denver you'd like to be.
I certainly would welcome talking with you further.
Washington Park is a great place but I understand having children where that wouldn't be not ideal and you really can't get the size home you want without going a lot higher in price that what you mentioned.

Some neighborhoos you can look for are...Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Grant Ranch, The Meadows, Green mountain, Governor's Ranch, Powderhorn, Shadow ridge, Meadows, Woodbourne, Canterberry in Parker and so much more.
Web Reference:  http://www.heatherlessar.com
Ginger Voorh…, Agent, Littleton, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
As a Colorado native, let me be the first to officially welcome you! And I can see you put family first -- good for you! I know the Denver area well and know which communities are family communities. I can also provide you with demographics for each area.

Give me a call and I'll get you set up to start receiving emails on homes that fit your criteria today.

Ginger Voorhorst, GRI
Broker Owner
Keller Williams Realty Success
303-249-4483 - Direct
Kevin Commun…, , Broomfield, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Welcome! With kids come schools which are probably high on your list. Fortunately, Colorado has some excellent school districts. This will probably dictate your geography more than anything else. Here are a few websites to help you get started.

http://guaranteed-realestate.com/school-reports.asp
http://www.coloradoschoolguides.com/maps.asp http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp

As a certified relocation provider, I would be happy to answer any additional questions about this life process.
Nicci Hyatt, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Hello! Good luck on your journey. You'll find CO to be mild in so many aspects - our weather (contrary to what many think), our commuting & our lifestyle are a nice pace. We moved from the East Coast, as well, and (once we got used to the drivers doing 50 in 65 zones) we have come to truly appreciate our happiness here. I work out of Central Denver and with families across the spectrum, so here are some communities that my clients have been exceptionally pleased with:
Lone Tree (near the Tech Center) has many neighborhoods that have swimming pools, playgrounds & neighborhood events and parties.
Broomfield (North, halfway between Denver & Boulder) very neighborhood oriented. Many people who have lived in Bfield or were raised there will "only" live in Broomfield to raise children.
Arvada (NW suburb of Denver) specifically West of Wadsworth & depending on which high school it feeds to) is very popular with my families. It is very suburban in feel.
Within the city, areas that are the most popular, at least with my clients when schools are a concern: Hilltop, Congress Park, Bonnie Brae, Cory-Merrill &, of course, Country Club.
I have a program that if I know the neighborhood you live in now (subdivison, zip code and "segment" of the city (Town Center/Farmington Ave/New Britain area, e.g.) it can recommend what neighborhoods may match a like feel & demogrpahic. If that would be helpful, email me. Best, Nicci@NIcciHyatt.com
Tim Klein, Agent, Littleton, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
CTmover,
If schools are a factor, te top 3 school districts in Colorado are Cherry Creek, Littleton, and Jefferson County. Your budget will work in all 3 of these areas. Example communities are Greenwood Village (Cherry Creek); Grant Ranch (Littleton); Ken Caryl Ranch (Jefferson County). You can searches all areas and homes from my web site. Assume you're thinking of early summer move? Let me know if I can help. Good luck!

Tim Klein
Broker
Metro Brokers - The Realty Werks
303.973.7600
ftklein@usa.net
Alan Strange, Agent, Westminster, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
I'm sure you'll find that to be a great move for you and your family. There are a ton of great communities that may fit your needs. Feel free to search online or if you would like to have a detailed report with links, photos, stats, conveniences and more give us a call or shoot me an email. Congrats on your upcoming move!

Alan Strange, Team Leader

The Strange Team
11859 Pecos Street, Suite 200
Westminster, CO 80234
Keller Williams Preferred Realty
Phone: 303.668.5208
Fax: 303.452.9620
Corporate Office: 303.452.3300
Web: http://www.TheStrangeTeam.com

*Honesty *Integrity *Results
Erin Trujillo, Agent, Greenwood Village, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Hi CTMover!

There are quite a few neighborhoods that match what you are looking for. What other type of neighborhood characteristics are you interested in - what proximity to downtown or the tech center? Parker has some great neighborhoods (Canterberry Crossing) that fit what you are currently looking for as does Highlands Ranch and some neighborhoods in Denver proper- the best fit would probably depend on proximity to work and what specifically you are looking for in a school district ie - cherry creek schools or douglas county schools...etc. Best of luck in the move and please let me know if I can answer any additional questions.
John Keene, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010

I was born and raised in Westport? What part of Connecticut are you from?

I currently live in the Stapleton neighborhood, which is filled with kids. So much so that they are having to build a third elementary school.

There are also plenty of homes in Stapleton that fit perfectly into your budget. Depending on your time frame you could either build a new home or purchase one for resale.

Give me a call to learn more,

John Keene
Keller Williams
303-547-7578
J. David Lam…, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu Feb 11, 2010
If you want to stay in the city of Denver near downtown I'd recommend Washington Park, Cherry Creek, North Country Club, and Congress Park. Of course, if you want to live in the suburbs or farther from downtown, there are lots of great neighborhoods with lots of children. You can find neighborhood information including links to information on schools on my web site websavvyrealestate.com. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.