We like Eichlers and well designed contemporary home layouts (the outdoors as part of the home). Which bay area neighborhoods should we be hunting in?

Asked by Home Buyer, Mountain View, CA Wed Jul 11, 2012

Answers

4
Grace Hanamo…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Wed Jul 11, 2012
Hi First,

Well, in light of the previous posting you put up, I'm going to retract my comments just a little and say, "if you're looking for an Eichler..." then a letter might actually help. Eichler buyers are as plentiful as buyers of regular homes, and those who really like these properties, actually LOVE these homes.

Okay, so here's some great places for Eichlers...there are many parts of the county where you can find Eichler homes. Los Altos, Monte Sereno, Campbell, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Los Altos Hills.. but the largest concentration of Eichlers can be found in the following cities:

Palo Alto - There are actually a bunch of homes on Stanford's property, but these are all available only to members of faculty and staff. They sit proudly near attorney John Hanna's "Honeycomb" house, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. If you don't work at Standford, you can find about 2000 or so Eichler homes located in Palo Alto's Fairmeadow, Greenmeadow, Green Gable and Los Arboles areas. By the way, Palo Alto was reportedly the "home" of Eichler homes.

Mountain View - There are about 200 homes in Mountain View. Most of them located in the Monte Loma area of the city.

Sunnyvale (West Sunnyvale) - About 175 of Joe Eichler's homes exist here. A large majority of the homes occupy the area called "West Sunnyvale", located in blocks along Mary Avenue between El Camino Real and Fremont Avenue. These Eichlers are slightly larger than other Eichlers and include some of the features that made Eichler homes famous, including the interior "garden" areas.

Cupertino - Along the southern section of Cupertino near Bollinger Road, you can another patch of about 200 Eichler homes.

Santa Clara - A section of very affordable Eichler homes can be found in the area near Pomeroy in Santa Clara. These homes are smaller than the Eichlers in Palo Alto, Mountain View, and Sunnyvale, but are unmistakely Eichler homes.

Hope this helps!! If you need more information or help finding a home, please feel free to give me a call.

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty-People's Choice
Elena Talis, Broker, Palo Alto, CA
Wed Jul 11, 2012
It all depends on your price range. Palo Alto Eichlers go for way more than $1M. I just sold one in South Palo Alto for $1.6. Mountain View ones are usually built on smaller lots and are smaller themselves and sell at lower price point than Palo Alto. You also will have to look at schools, commute options, neighborhood conditions, etc. Let me know if you need help navigating.
Brad Gill, Agent, San Jose, CA
Wed Jul 11, 2012
Eichler's...great architecture, and we're lucky to have them in our area. Grace provided some great insight into where to find these homes, I can only add that there are whole blogs and websites devoted to these properties (a cult following of sorts)...try: http://www.eichlerhomes.com/sf-bay-area-modern/, a blog that offers a lot of insight into these properties (and is also run by a real estate team).

Have fun looking at Eichler's!
Andrea Wince…, Agent, Milpitas, CA
Wed Jul 11, 2012
I've seen that style in many bay area neighborhoods and also some of the most expensive. At what price point are you looking? If you would like me to email you some listings, feel free to contact me through my Trulia profile. Kind regards.