Amar Doshi, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

We just purchased a new construction home and have a question about getting it inspected?

Asked by Amar Doshi, Atlanta, GA Wed Feb 13, 2013

We have just purchased a new home and the foundation has not been poured yet, when would be the best time to get the inspector? Also will they come out numerous times throughout the build out to ensure everything is being done properly?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Darrell Hess, Agent, Asheville, NC
Thu Feb 14, 2013
Congrats on your contract to purchase a new home. Find a inspector that has their ICC certification and talk with them about when to inspect and why. Don't forget to get the approval forms needed to allow an outside representative to enter a home under construction.
0 votes
Troy Wile, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Feb 14, 2013
get the inspection process started now - 3 -4 stage process first before the foundation is poured make sure threre will be no problem with the compaction under the top soil and make sure no piers will be needed for additional support
Over 180 new homes sold from the ground up total of 300+ new home sales
Re/Max Metro Atlanta
0 votes
Veronika Bar…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Thu Feb 14, 2013
Hello Amar,

One of the options is to do 3-stage inspection:
1. Pre-pour foundation inspection (before the concrete is poured)
2. Rough frame inspection (pre-dry wall)
3. Final inspection after all cosmetic finishes are installed

Bruce & Dave are right. You may want to hire a foundation company to inspect the foundation stage of the construction since the majority of home inspectors don't have enough experience with it.

Definitely a good idea to do at least rough frame and final inspections. A good home inspector will be able to do that for you.

It also depends what county you are building in; some counties have stricter guidelines than others. Feel free to give me a call, I will be happy to recommend a good inspector.


Veronika Barash, Realtor®,





678.230.4235 c

678.287.4800 o

404.410.6983 f

Keller Williams Realty Consultants

695 Mansell Rd. Ste 120

Roswell GA 30076
0 votes
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Wed Feb 13, 2013
You will want to verify this information with your Realtor, as all geographic areas are different.

Answer: After the builder has the occupancy permit and you will complete the punch sheet to turn into the builder for completing.

Best of Luck
0 votes
Bruce Ailion, Agent, Marietta, GA
Wed Feb 13, 2013
There are inspectors that specialize in new home construction. Rather than a general inspection company, find an inspector that specializes in this type of multi stage-inspection. Given the lack of new construction, you may have some difficulty. I used to have several in the 2000-2006 time period, I suspect those I used are no longer in business.

Bruce Ailion,
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
An Atlanta Real Estate Expert Serving Clients Since 1979
RE/MAX Hall of Fame – REALTOR Phoenix Award
Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Real Estate Broker
Accredited Buyers Agent
MS Real Estate and Urban Affairs
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Internet Professional
203K Certified Specialist
2050 Roswell Road
Marietta GA 30062
404-978-2281 Direct
404-386-3682 Assistant Robin
678-760-6266 Buyer’s Agent Adam
770-973-9700 Office
0 votes
David Herren, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Wed Feb 13, 2013

Yes, you need an inspector right away. Start interviewing inspectors now, and compare services. Ask them to explain why they do the inspections they propose, and how they will coordinate with the builder. Do not rely on local municipal inspectors - they normally only look for building code violations, and they may not catch all of them. Your building inspector should also be looking for design problems and construction that does not follow the plans you agreed to. Windows may be placed in the wrong location or be the wrong size, or HVAC vents may be placed in inconvenient ares, like the middle of a room or in front of a door to name just a couple of problems that a county inspector may not look for.

In addition to the normal inspections of "vertical" construction, ask about getting certification from a geotechnical engineer that the earthwork is compacted properly and that no unsuitable fill material was placed under the slab. If this is a small lot, prior to pouring the slab, you should ask for a surveyor's certification that the pad does not encroach on any building setbacks and easements. If organic material or trash is buried under the slab, it will eventually sink, leading to cracked walls or even structural failure. If the slab is built over a setback line or in an easement, the builder may not be able to get a certificate of occupancy, or you could inherit liabilities in the future.


Dave Herren
Best Atlanta Properties
0 votes
Matt Brown, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Wed Feb 13, 2013
It is best to hire an inspector to do stage inspections for you. Yes, it is more expensive than an inspection a few days before closing but a home is a big purchase and it is wise to have an advocate working for you the whole time. If you wait unit the end of construction any errors that could have been seen before concrete and drywall will be hidden.
I advise my clients to always get inspections early and often when dealing with new construction.
A great inspector is Mike Nier of Nier Building Inspections (404) 277-6612.
0 votes
Thanks Matthew. I realize it may be more expensive, but when you're spending hundred's of thousands of dollars, makes sense to protect your investment. The biggest concern we have is about compaction because it looks like there will be a lot of earth having to be moved. In your experience, what is a round about number of what gets charged for these inspections? One prior to pouring, one when framing is done, and a final once the house is done.

Flag Thu Feb 14, 2013
Sonja Jones, Agent, Bainbridge Island, WA
Wed Feb 13, 2013
Private inspectors will come out as often as you like but they will charge you. Many County or City Building Department websites will show inspection progress and comments from the building inspector. Just input the address or tax parcel number. You can then follow the progress and have a private inspection upon completion.

Hope this helps.
0 votes
SFultonRealt…, Agent, Conyers, GA
Wed Feb 13, 2013
What did your agent advise you?
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more