We have heard there is a lot of smog in Hemet. Is that true?

Asked by Suzi Highland, La Quinta, CA Sat Dec 29, 2012

Answers

31
Ray Wright, Agent, Riverside, CA
Sun Dec 30, 2012
As far as smog is concerned, I'm not sure where you heard that. I'm regularly in Hemet every few days and the skies are clearer than most other areas. As far as crime is concerned (like the previous commenter) than I suggest you check out:

http://www.CrimeReports.com

Suzi Highland, Both Buyer And Seller, La Quinta, CA
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Scott, you are a little ray of sunshine! Thanks for your comments!
Phil DeSimone, Agent, Hemet, CA
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Not much smog there. Crime is a little bit on the high side. Homes are very cheap!
Scott Laffin, Home Owner, Hemet, CA
Wed Jan 2, 2013
But the air quality is great in sunny Hemet CA. and there are a few amenities here. Just drive down the gang invested Florida avenue (make sure to avoid the multiple jay walkers) on a Sunday afternoon you will have plenty of prostitutes to choose from and if you like fly’s buzzing around your face during the harsh summer months than great you will be accommodated. Also, if you like paying huge water bills and getting poor water quality than you will be even more pleased. Because, as you will find out Lake Hemet Water District purchases their water from EMWD and re-sales it to you at a much higher price. And, EMWD buys it from Metro so you get the drift right? You get to pay much more. Also they have a five tiers system. Meaning if you live in a one bedroom apt. you would be on say tier 1 but if you want to live in a house you will be on tier 5 regardless if you have have no yard as we do not . Also, they do not have a valve exercise program so the water quality suffers especially if you live on a dead end. Good luck!
Scott Laffin, Home Owner, Hemet, CA
Wed Jan 2, 2013
The are a few people here that for some reason want to refrain from telling the truth so I am guessing they look like pinokio . lol Well, here are some statistics that every one might want to check out. There were 1,173 burlaries in Hemet in 2011. Lets see 217 assaults, 5 murders, 15 rapes, 124 robberies , 1911 thefts, 388 auto thefts, 3 arsons, WOW for a population of 80k people that’s nuts. According to the most recent survey,families living below the poverty line in Hemet numbered 1,913, or 12.4 percent of the population. The percentage of families in America living below the poverty line was 9.20%. Now lets talk about the schools system in Hemet

2010 Highest Education Level Attained (Population Age 25+) Hemet, CA California United States
Did Not Complete High School 10,891 21.41% 4,441,314 19.19% 30,370,155 15.35%
Completed High School 16,785 32.99% 4,871,377 21.04% 57,863,097 29.24%
Some College 13,576 26.69% 5,180,660 22.38% 40,691,836 20.56%
Completed Associate Degree 3,177 6.24% 1,950,488 8.43% 14,841,627 7.50%
Completed Bachelors Degree 4,111 8.08% 4,330,594 18.71% 34,682,582 17.52%
Completed Graduate Degree 2,335 4.59% 2,375,029 10.26% 19,465,340 9.84%
Tammy Laffin, Both Buyer And Seller, La Pine, OR
Mon Dec 31, 2012
I swear i'll never waste my time again....Suzi if you looked up La Quinta you'd see it's NOTHING close to Hemet. OMGosh.... it took me 10 seconds to find the data. It's really not that hard. Just like figuring out the Hemet air quality, 10 seconds, tops.

La Quinta Demographics
Population: 38,319
Crime Index: 69.71- B+
Sex Offenders: 14

Hemet Demographics
Population: 71,785
Crime Index: 148.51- C+
Sex Offenders: 256

See a little difference, Suzi???? Please tell me you have no children.
It is not only gang members that commit crime, by the way. If you cared to know about it, you would. But alas, you choose to remain ignorant and elitist. Let's hope your little fantasy bubble doesn't burst. Then reality hits Suzi square in the face, ouch.
Flag Tue Jan 1, 2013
Oh wow. A little bit elitist there, eh Suzi. I don't live in a crime ridden area. At the height of the market our home sold for $389,000. Don't make assumptions. With grandchildren I presume you should be wise enough to have learned that lesson.
Flag Tue Jan 1, 2013
My children are in Cincinnati! Look up crime there, and feel lucky! Actually, we live in neighborhoods where people do not park on streets, or leave cars there. Locked garages, and driveways with gates, are for that purpose. We have a horrible place here called La Quinta Cove, and then there is Indio and Thermal and Coachella all within about 15 minutes. My home in Hemet will be about that far from your crime gang areas. Sorry! Just wondering about smog.
Flag Mon Dec 31, 2012
Mon Dec 31, 2012
Ahahaha. That is great. You could've figured out your smog question on your own. Unbelievable. So sorry to have gone off topic on you.
Mon Dec 31, 2012
Moreno Valley Population: 191,766
Moreno Valley Sex Offenders: 226
Hemet Population: 71,785
Hemet Sex Offenders: 256
The density is not that much greater???? Moreno Valley has nearly 3 times our population yet we outrank them in sex offenders.
Scott Laffin, Home Owner, Hemet, CA
Mon Dec 31, 2012
To all those prospective first time home owners please do not consider purchasing in Hemet CA. you will not be happy there. I should know we bought a home in Hemet CA in one of the better neighbor hoods and have had nothing but trouble. Although, Hemet does have a very good rating on air quality that is about the only pro I can say in regards to economic, crime, ect. You can review various web sites that show it is only marginally about places like Compton CA. Such as the crime index shows Hemet is a 10 out of 100 being the safest 362 crimes per 1,000 residents. Scary huh? But, I can personally test to having my back yard/gate broken into twice and multiply cars broken into and or vandalized. We have purchased security equipment, three pit bulls, and now own one hand gun and a rifle. If I could start over I would have bought a smaller home in say Riverside for about the same price. Also, I was just checking out sex offenders and we have 1 for every 282. Real nice huh? If you do want to move here there arer plenty of places to rent for $900 or less for a two or three bedroom house. Then you can see how it is. But, just do your research and know that real estate agents have a vested interest in selling you a home. Bottom line they do not get paid unless they sell so if you loose it, or you get upside down in it next year they could care less
Mon Dec 31, 2012
If you want facts on what is happening in Hemet, check out crime stats, the local paper and
http://www.facebook.com/rebuild.hemet and see for yourself. As I said, the AGENTS have their own vested interests.
Sun Dec 30, 2012
Think about it Suzi- do you think an agent/broker has a vested interested in presenting Hemet as something other than it is? Common sense can answer that one for you. As for you, Don and Vicki,
you should be ashamed. Can't you make a living being truthful?? Survey says....NO!!!
Vicki N Don…, Agent, Hemmett, CA
Sun Dec 30, 2012
Hi Suzi,

The city is not a "toilet." We have coming here since 1988 and moved here in 1999. Yes, the city has problems, but I am certainly not living in fear. You might want to check the areas in Compton, to see what they are currently like. My wife and I are real estate agents her in Hemet, and we are all over the town, at all hours of the night and day, and we do not feel unsafe. I heard recently that the number of section 8 homes in town is about 18 or 19. I really don't think that is going to effect the quality of life in our two cities of around 150,000 people. As far as sex offenders go, the density is not much greater than that of Moreno Valley, Riverside or Corona.

We like Hemet, that's why we have made the choice of living and working here.

Don & Vicki
Moreno Valley Population: 191,766
Moreno Valley Sex Offenders: 226
Hemet Population: 71,785
Hemet Sex Offenders: 256
Flag Mon Dec 31, 2012
I have checked out areas in Compton, have you? Their crime rating is a D, Hemet's is a C+. WOW!!!! That's a big difference, eh????!!!!
Flag Mon Dec 31, 2012
Sat Dec 29, 2012
Hi Suzi- The smog would be the least of your worries if you relocate to Hemet. This city is a toilet.
We bought here 5 years ago and the city has gone down so dramatically over that time. For example, just check out the rates of sex offenders per capita. Hemet is a dumping ground for sex offenders and the holy land of section 8 housing. Crime is skyrocketing. I don't feel safe here anymore because of all the criminal events---and we live on one of the better streets. We've had people attempting to break into our back yard, neighbors have had cars broken into and keyed and RV's that were attempted to be stolen. We've had to install security cameras and are on guard at all times.
I've talked to people who came to Hemet from Compton to get away from gangs and crime and are seriously thinking about heading back to Compton. I know the low prices of housing makes it a tempting choice, but it's not worth it. Good luck on your search for a safe and live-able city Suzi :)
Amy Murray, Agent, Temecula, CA
Sat Dec 29, 2012
Hi Suzi! No, the Hemet/San Jacinto Valley is not bad at all! :) Much better then surrounding areas!
Rodney Pheni…, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Sat Dec 29, 2012
No thats true we dont have smog, in fact we have very fresh air.

Any other questions im here to help you can call me 7 days a week
(951)306-7501
Denise Hargis, , Hemet, CA
Sat Dec 29, 2012
I have lived in this valley for quite some time and enjoy the clean air and sunshine most of the year. The people who are here are very friendly and the weather is sensational most of the year. It does get very warm in the summer, and winters are crisp with beautiful blue skies and often puffy white clouds. This is a terrific time to make a home purchase, and I'm here to help with all of yours, your friends, and co workers needs...just give me a call if you have any Real Estate needs in Southern California or would like more information. 951-492-1913 Denise
Vicki N Don…, Agent, Hemmett, CA
Sat Dec 29, 2012
We live in Hemet and enjoy the smog free weather most of the time. Call if we can assist you further. 951 345-0901. Don and Vicki Dysert
Ray Wright, Agent, Riverside, CA
Sun Jun 23, 2013
Glad to hear it, Suzi. Hope you have a great time in your new neighborhood.
Ray Wright, Agent, Riverside, CA
Sun Jun 23, 2013
Sat Jun 22, 2013
I just have to say to Scott, we did move to Hemet. Every time we drive down Florida, I look for prostitutes. For 2 months, I have only seen normal people with a kid walking. Gosh! My husband was very disappointed! LOL! ZERO Prostitutes. As for smog... none so far!

Smog is usually in summer, and our home is high in the hills, but the only thing we see is fog.

Oh, and Scott........ Been to Walmart many times, and I have not yet been mugged!
Cindy Watson, Landlord, Hemet, CA
Sun Mar 17, 2013
You know sometime it looks like haze but the color is moisture in the mornings. I suggest that you check out this archive:http://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.mapsarchivecalendar
Scott Laffin, Home Owner, Hemet, CA
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Suzi, please do some research . Come on you are better than that. Really? Well Mrs Howe the 3rd You might want to get out and volunteer with the below group. They`ll show you where all the prostitutes are. Lol….. Your whole I`ve never seen any of this doesn’t change statistics and what the heck does” We will be paying more than some in Hemet, to live in a better area with killer views, closer to our rapidly growing grandchildren.” Mean? We personally bought a house that is 2180sqft in one of the nicest neighborhoods but that doesn’t mean crap! Please do us all a favor and walk down Florida Ave. at about 10:30pm but make sure they get plenty of life insurance on you. Then, perhaps thell put a little quote on your tombstone about how safe Hemet was. If you truly have that kind of money move to Temecula. You can still see those grand kids. I am still wondering what you were saying by killer views. Ramona bowl area? Well, you are rich so go get one up on the hill but when you get mugged at Walmart dont say that no one warned you.

http://www.facebook.com/rebuild.hemet

The Hemet-San Jacinto Association of Realtors has donated supplies for the clean up event.

To find out about future volunteer opportunities, go to the Rebuilding Hemet group page and click on the “events” tab: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/rebuildinghemet/
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Well, I'm truly sorry for your bad experience in Hemet. We will be paying more than some in Hemet, to live in a better area with killer views, closer to our rapidly growing grandchildren.

Florida is a long street. The west side is full of new restaurants and shopping areas, and I have never seen one prostitute or sign of a gang.

I can't tell you how many times we have stopped to feed the goats that you see on Sanderson. I LOVE those goats!

I love the country part of Hemet! Looking forward to moving there. Still waiting for approval from the lender.

If it doesn't work out, we'll just keep looking.
Scott Laffin, Home Owner, Hemet, CA
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Ya, Amy I don’t know. That`s a hard one really. I mean in side of California not too much! But, commute wise I would have to disagree w/ Hemet as it takes about :30 minutes to reach a fwy so I do not totally agree. However if square footage is not an issue I have found homes in Riverside for what we paid in Hemet. The air quality in Riverside is not that good but it is a degree or two generally speaking cooler. Also, you do not think to yourself only in Riverside as you do in Hemet as you drive by general populous. I mean really my wife in I started a scap book called only in Hemet where we have taken pictures of cars minded together by plywood and two by fours, badly misspelled signs, fences that were purposely built around debri, trees ect, because of laziness or lack of money/materials, there is even a house that has the words painted on the roof as to speak to aliens about thirty feet long on one domestic property. The list goes on and on and……..
ahahaha- nice :)
Flag Wed Jan 2, 2013
Amy Murray, Agent, Temecula, CA
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Scott; Can't and Won't deny any of that! Amenities that we can all do without. However, this kind of crap is everywhere. And, unless you have money and a lot of it, people need to make due, make better the place that they choose to call home. Lived here now since 2000 and nithing serious with me or my family personally. Although a major increase in crime, prostitution, gang activity has made it's way to Hemet, home prices remain very affordable for the everyday family. Recommend an affordable area that is crime free or at least comparable to Hemet, easy to commute from?
I for one cannot think of an affordable area comparable to Hemet, but then again I haven't looked. My family and I will be relocating out of state within the next year.
Flag Wed Jan 2, 2013
Hi Amy, Agreed- everywhere has it's good and bad but Hemet really seems to be great at amplifying the bad. Things have gotten so much worse in just the five years we've owned our home. We were aware of the "bad neighborhoods and figured we were safe if we stayed clear of them but the criminal activity seems to be seeping in to more and more places we frequent, shop, etc. Places that LOOK great but multiple muggings and assaults have occurred there. Our cars are parked in our garage but multiple neighbors with larger families/multiple cars have had cars vandalized and broken into. Our street is a lovely street, very quiet and peaceful- with mostly long term Hemet homeowners. For our first 4 years things were relatively calm, this last year we've had multiple issues with people on our property/ attempting to break into our back yard/gate. I never thought this element would invade our safe street, but alas no one is truly safe, even if they fool themselves with the illusion of gates/etc.
Flag Wed Jan 2, 2013
Amy Murray, Agent, Temecula, CA
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Suzi; I lived and worked in the desert for 10 years and agree with you! I moved my family to Hemet in 2000 to have a nicer home, changes in weather that are more substantial then wind and sun Everyday and the central location for commute to Riverside, San Diego and LA. You can't really work here in the valley, similar to desert areas. I'm glad I made the move with 5 kids in tow that all did just fine here. Enjoy your new home and the cool down you will have come summertime!!
Tue Jan 1, 2013
I think Palm Springs installed all those windmills for energy, actually! And now they are erecting solar panels in that area too! The entire Coachella Valley prohibits any manufacturing that may cause smog. This limits jobs, and causes this area to be mainly tourist and retirement.

I don't know about the job Market in Hemet, but if you don't want to do retail, landscaping, or restaurant work here in Coachella Valley, you will be hard pressed to find a job. It's probably the same in Hemet. Small agricultural town. Our offer is on the Ag side because we like the climate and Orchards.

We discovered Hemet because we always drive through it on our way to Temecula to visit the grand kids. Until we started looking for housing there, we didn't know about the bad areas, but having lived in Tustin and Santa Ana, we know every town has it's "wrong side of the tracks!"

On purpose, we chose acreage with no HOA, so we can put in solar panels and a windmill or two! :-))
Suzi
Mon Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for all your answers. I looked up our city in beautiful La Quinta, and there is as much crime as close to our current home as there will be as close to our new home to be, in Hemet. My question specifically related to SMOG!

Thanks to you who stuck to the topic.
It is much appreciated!
Flag Mon Dec 31, 2012
Rodney Pheni…, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Mon Dec 31, 2012
Yes Suzi do all the resarch you can when buying a home. And yes there is crime and sex offenders just like any other city, and Hemet is just that a city. And true we dont get paid till you buy or sell a home thats how it works its called comission. And any of us can help you anywhere in California we have a state lic. And we do care if you were to get up side down in your home sense most of our business comes from word of mouth.

So check things out for your self as you would with any life changing move you make, no matter where you decide to move you will always find some one who doesnt like it there.
Vicki N Don…, Agent, Hemmett, CA
Sun Dec 30, 2012
Dear Tsnodl,

My wife just remined me, that we have referrals in Trulia, check those out.

Don
I've been a resident of Hemet for five years and know what Hemet is like. No amount of "referrals" are going to make me believe anything other than what I see right in front of my eyes.
Flag Mon Dec 31, 2012
Vicki N Don…, Agent, Hemmett, CA
Sun Dec 30, 2012
Dear Tsnodl,

This is essentially a small town. One in which a person's character is quickly known to clients, past present, and future. If you wish to check on our honesty, I would be happy to give you a list of past clients. Most of our current business is through referrals from past clients, that does not happen by being dishonest.

Don & Vicki