We had a mobile home put in a park. My problem is it was put there on Dec.27,2007 our lease started Jan.1,

Asked by Michelle Curry, Chester, PA Fri Jan 25, 2008

2008 the park is responible for hooking up the electric, sewer, water. Everyday we were told yeah we will hook it up and it still is not hooked up. I called the owner of park and said we are paying 2 rents one for mobile home lot and for our apartment that we are still in since we can not move in mobile home with nothing hooked up. Owner tells me there is nothing she can do that we had to pay rent since I needed to put mobile home on lot. Then I find out from the township when park applied for a permit to hook electric up they left our names off of permit. Why would they do that since we are the owners of the mibile home. I need some advice.

Answers

1
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Jan 25, 2008
You need a lawyer.

I'm not a lawyer, but a few observations: In your contract with the mobile home park, do they say that certain services (water, electrical hookups) are/will be provided? If that's part of the contract, and they haven't yet provided them, then they may be in violation of the contract as the lessor. A lawyer might advise you to pay rent into an escrow fund. Similar to the situation if you were renting an apartment and there were no utilities. However, do not simply withhold rent...at least not without getting clear approval from a competent lawyer first.

It sounds as if the park just messed up the paperwork and left your name off. Have you asked the park manager about this? The management may be waiting for approval from the township for the hookup, possibly not realizing that they'll never get the approval because your name wasn't on the application. It's possible that just amending the application, or resubmitting it correctly, will resolve the situation.