We are trying to buy a condo in Pleasanton (las positas garden homes neighbourhood). Can someone share their experiences in this neighbourhood?

Asked by vista_ca, Pleasanton, CA Fri Dec 14, 2012

We are trying to rent a condo in Pleasanton (las positas garden homes neighbourhood).

Can someone share their experiences in this neighbourhood?

Answers

4
Patticarter, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Wed Sep 6, 2017
I've lived in this development for 42 years, since my daughter was 7-years old, who is now 49. Hacienda Business park was cattle pastures; four-lane freeway, no auto dealerships except a couple downtown Livermore, no Valley shopping mall. Main Street was Cowboy Town, and there wasn't much in the Valley except the Alameda County Fair, ranches, and one high school. A quiet bedroom community in which to raise a family with neighborhood market, hospital, bus stop, and fire station within a one-block walking distance.
My experience has been that starting in the mid-70s, there was a rash of home and car break-ins during the drug era. Then, in the 80s when BART went in, East-Bay Area crime came with it. My common-wall owner/occupier neighbor had to resort to putting iron bars on her windows because she was burglarized THREE TIMES, but, finally sold/moved within 10 years. Across the sidewalk from me, a physician's widow was robbed for drugs several times.
When I was looking at the models in 1970, the developer's sales office had offered 10% of our homes at government-subsidy prices, The local police department became quite familiar with the kids that grew up here. By 1979, I had found local school wasn't working for my daughter, or me, while I working full-time by 5th grade, so, I moved her to Valley Christian School system in Dublin, which fulfilled our needs all the way through high school; Christian college took her to Santa Barbara for a degree.
Our Homeowner's Assoc. maintenance was effective through the year 2010, but, the last 5-7-years they have become overwhelmed, depending on what homeowner is willing to participate in Board decisions. During the current replacement of gutters, siding/trim construction and painting, so many disenchanted homeowners these last few years. There is current neighborhood organization/protests going on regarding the new paint colors; they've organized for a group lawn meeting tonight.
Our dues are expensive at $270/mo. that include "no pool," ~weekly mowing, inside/outside water is provided regardless of "no-outside-water policy", and exterior paint every ~10-years. Carports are no longer leaf-blown as a result of LARGE community trees in public area; can't wash off patios or carports. I'm on my 4th new-car in these 42 years, and just bought my 4th new car cover as well; it's just so dirty here, especially since we haven't been allowed outside water use for ~4-years.
Owners are responsible for their own inside expenses, i.e., neighbor fencing, patios, window replacement, door replacement, plumbing, anything considered "interior." It's also becoming more prevalent that we're becoming financially responsible for a lot of the Homweowner's Association's outside maintenance, as well, for which our monthly "dues" are supposed to pay. We've become dirty and rudown!
The Homeowner's Association monthly fee was $25/mo. in 1975, and has evolved to, what will most likely be after all this exterior work, ~$300/mo. by January, 2018. After the drought, our beautiful grounds have become rundown, carports/patios filthy, huge turnover of ~75% renters as opposed to owner/occupiers, and I've appropriately labeled our development the Pleasanton Ghettos even after I spent $50,000 on renovation of my personal interior including dual-paned windows, new doors, new neighbor fences, three years ago in 2014.
If someone says, "Pleasanton has no ghettos," yes, it does because I've lived in it for 42 years! At this point, I'll be removed in a body bag; but, I won't go down without fighting to maintain this place called home.
Ron Thomson, Home Buyer, Winston-Salem, NC
Sun Jul 9, 2017
I been here since 91 great neighbor hood Walmart across the street. Bus stop very close. Bart close. just get to know your neighbors. oh you may need to get use to the sirens; hospital and fire station across the street ; you get use to it.
Shivani Yadav, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Dec 14, 2012
Lets talk more in detail about your needs..call me at 925.264.9987

Shivani
Broker Associate
Kris Moxley, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Fri Dec 14, 2012
Renting or buying? Your question states both. Regarding the that neighborhood, I think the location is great and the only concerns there is the age. Generally older styles like that neighborhood dont have the best sound proofing and if someone is really loud you may hear them. Overall the layouts are pretty good, but do check into the sound levels and if you're buying then getting inspections is a good idea.

Web Reference:  http://www.moxleyteam.com