Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

lisamanuele, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

We are relocating to buckley Air force base and we have been looking in the commerce city area. I once lived in aurora. Any thoughts?

Asked by lisamanuele, Denver, CO Fri Apr 11, 2014

I have 2 kiddos and want a family friendly area with pool access. I know the schools are all bad so we are planning on the charter school near the airport. Just wanted to knwo if it is really a commute tot he Denver area from t\here.

Answers

26
Yes, Buckley is a bit of a commute to downtown. You will get more home for the money the further east you go.

We proud to be the #1 reviewed on Trulia! We work with home buyers and sellers and are happy to help anyone you know looking to buyer or sell. Feel free to check out our profile at http://www.trulia.com/profile/wisdom-real-estate-team-agent-…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 14, 2014
There are some great area on the east side of town. You have Stapleton, Green Valley Ranch, plus Aurora and Commerce City have newer development also. What is the commute time you are ok with to Buckley? Once I know that, I can help you locate a home that will fit your budget; family; and might even find a Charter school on the way to work. Since you are moving to the area and you know the time frame it might be a good time to start now. The Denver market is hot. Houses are going fast and it may take a few try's to find a home. My services start long before loading up the truck and moving to Denver. Right down to you can sign the closing papers the day you get into town and take the keys to your new home. I have helped many military men & women relocating to Denver, as far as Japan to Colorado Springs.The first time we met was the day I handed him the keys. Please email me at michael.summers@kw.com to go over what I can offer you in finding your new home.

Thank you
Michael Summers
http://www.summershomesco.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 11, 2014
It may not be easy to get into the charter school you would like. Have you called them about their enrollment policy?

If work is at Buckley look in a 10 mile radius for a start. You should be pleasantly surprised with the quality of public schools and the housing.

annalisa ambrose
303-946-1192
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 11, 2014
Hi Lisa, I live and work in Reunion area as a Realtor. There are some great communities with pools - Reunion, Buffalo Mesa and Turnberry. Depends on your budget, size of home (sounds like you need at least a 3 bedroom) and if you like this area when you visit. There are some nice newer communities in Aurora now as well.

We help buyers relocate quite often and definitely can be there with you every step of the way. Feel free to look around at homes on our website at http://www.denverrealestateinfo.com or give me a call 303-668-9949.

The commute from our area to Buckley isn't bad, I used to shop at the commissary and I never had a big problem with the time and distance. It's relative to how you feel about it obviously.

I look forward to talking with you.

Venus Howard
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 11, 2014
Hi Lisa: What unit are you relocating too? I retired out of the 140th FW so do know the area!
Please email me for your commute questions and about the commute times. Those commutes are not that bad depending on where you live and all.
Thanks, Scott -- scottkilpatrick@msn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 11, 2014
I have worked with many families stationed at Buckley that choose the SE Aurora area. There are many neighborhoods in the highly sought after Cherry Creek 5 school district. In addition the area features pool communities along with many parks and trails. Contact me for information on specific areas.
perhaps renting in the Green Valley Ranch development first would give you idea... before purchasing. I'm renting out 3bedrm 2.25 bath (MasterBedroom w retreat) 2 other bedrooms, wash room upstairs, carpeted upstairs, wood floors downstairs. $1800.00mo
As you may already know, there are a lot of great neighborhoods that may work for you. There is some new construction that may be of interest to you that has a community pool and eventually will have the light rail nearby. Feel free to contact me to discuss further. Best of luck to you.
Hello -

Feel free to use our system to do a map search for a home. You can dial in and look at all kinds of available properties.

Have a great day!
Hi Lisa,

Don't know how long it's been since you were in the area, but it has changed a lot. There are a lot more options for you now. There are new communities in and around Buckley, and just south of there. One options is "Murphy Creek".

Depending on how far south you go, you could end up in Cherry Creek Schools and there some good schools in that area. Here is a link you can use to check on ratings for various school options in the area:

http://www.greatschools.org

When will you be relocating here? I would be happy to send you some listings, and can also show you any properties of interest when you get here. If you're interested, please call me at the number below or send me an email.

Best of luck to you!

Larry Brake
HomeSmart Realty
303-877-5242
LB@milehihomes4sale.ocm
Have you checked out Green Valley Ranch? There is another new neighborhood just north that might be of interest. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Lisa,

Commerce City is a big area. There are some great new home developments such as Reunion that could work for you. as far as the commute, it will be a challenge some days. There are several areas in southeast Aurora and Centennial that would be an easier commute for you to get to Buckley Air Base. Some of the areas around Buckly are in the Cherry Creek School District which is one of the most highly rated and desired school districts in the Denver area. Welcome back to Colorado.

http://www.RobertMcGuireHomes.com
You might check Brookfield Homes at Brighton Crossing. It is an existing community that is very family friendly (Halloween has more homes decked out than I've ever seen-Christmas too!) Schools are good. Brighton has that small-town feel. I-76 is an easy drive to Denver (15-20 min). Neighborhood has a great pool/splash park as part of the association ($40/mo). If you qualify income wise (not make too much!) there is a grant program available to help with down payment and closing.
Call them at 303-558-0910
Hello Michael,

I am just getting ready to list a home close to Buckley and I 70 225 and 470 and it's very close to the charter schools. The list price is going to be 355,000 it's five bedrooms 5300 ft.² it's not on the market yet so give me a call 303-697-1767
Sorry we are a military family relocating this is WAY out of our budget=)
Flag Mon Apr 14, 2014
Commerce City is not a bad location as far as commute to Denver. You can get much more home for your money there and there are homes available that are newer. I would be more than happy to help you find a home that is perfect for your family.
Avoid commerce city, it smells pretty bad because of the industrial companies in the city. Not many people wants to livr around thereanyways. If you want something around that area a would recommend Thornton or maybe back to Aurora. I live in Thornton and I love it. Stay around 92nd and up (it's nicer).

The time it takes to get downtown depends on the time of day that you will be traveling. Will you be working downtown? You can use Google Maps to get a distance if you have a specific address downtown. The Light Rail is expanding and you may be able to use that in the future. You can get more information from this website: http://www.rtd-denver.com/lightrail.shtml. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Stacey Gaker
It's not too bad of a commute depending on the times you travel:) Sometimes I-70 can be a pain but there are less congested routes you can take depending on where your new home will be and where the school is. A more in the middle location would probably be Green Valley Ranch. Although the neighborhoods of Stapleton and Commerce City would also be suitable for your situation I believe.

Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions you may have about any of these areas, I'd love to help! Take care,

Kevin Jochem
303.503.3433
kvnjochem@yahoo.com
http://www.facebook.com/kevinjrealtor
I have lived outside the South gate at Buckley since 1986. It's a great area! (okay I may be bias LOL) Aurora has greatly improved the school systems! We have the Quest School for gifted children K-8, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), Aurora Lights Programs (Health Sciences Pathway) and a new campus being built off of Gun Club that will have kindergarden through college on one campus! There are many things to do in Aurora. It's a very family friendly place. Home prices in Aurora are also pretty moderate compared to some other areas. If you would like additonal information on relocating, please let me know.

Colleen Mullins
A La Carte Real Estate Services: Customized services to fit your needs
720-333-5363 (call or text)
http://www.SellAuroraHomes.com
You will find a family friendly neighborhood with pool access in Stapleton and the Reunion area. If you are planning on sending your child to the charter school near the airport, you may want to consider still looking in Denver as well. Try searching in the Green Valley Ranch area on the East side of Penia and North of 38th. This neighborhood had some troubles a couple of years back, but is on the rebound. You could find some good deals there! Brighton wouldn't be a bad option either.
Yes there is ~ If you haven't been here in a while, you will be surprised by the amount of growth in the metro Denver area. The Stapleton neighborhood has now jumped over I70 and the newest buildout is in the north corridor approaching Dick's Sporting Goods park. Welcome back to town and best of luck in your home search.
Lisa,

I (Jim) was in the Air Force and my team and I appreciate military personnel, we'd consider it an honor to help you and your family.

Why don't you give us a call and we'll arrange a day and time to give you a tour of the neighborhoods so you can see how family friendly they are and look at the pools, tennis courts etc...

Feel free to visit our web site and search for homes currently on the market any time there is no obligation and it may give you an idea of home prices and HOA's which you'll have in pool communities.
There are plenty of areas that I think you would find desirable near Buckley. The area has developed quite a bit. You may be surprised! Give me a call if you would like to discuss further. I am a Trulia Pro Agent in the area and live local if you have questions.
In regards to commute there will be a new light rail station right at Illiff. You can drive in about 30 minutes or leave your car at the light rail station( about 10 minutes from base) and head downtown.
If you are looking to rent the apartments that I live in are in a quiet area of Aurora. It is in the Cherry Creek School District. They have spacious 2 bedrooms. The elementary school is year round and did wonders for my daughter. around 15 students per teacher there at Eastridge. The middle and high school is a walk away. The apartments are called Turnberry at Heather ridge. the rent includes water sewer gas and trash. and is around $900 a month. the apartments have 2 poos that are out doors and a rec center that has an indoor pool just 3 blocks away.
Commerce city has become very gang ridden even in the area the is beautiful.

The commute to Denver isn't horrible, the traffic fluctuates depending on the time of day. Thanks for your service! From one Vet to you all if you are coming to Buckley thank you for your service and sacrifice. Should you be buying when you arrive and want to work with a lender who is a Veteran I would be glad to help.

Ray Williams
Branch Manager
Summit Mortgage
http://www.fhacolorado.org
Definitely not a bad commute from Commerce City area. Not much with pool access, but would be happy to help you search. I live in Downtown Denver and work in both Commerce City and Aurora. Feel free to reach out anytime.

Kris Shuter
Velocity Real Estate & Investments, Inc.
Phone: 303-589-2776
Fax: 303-831-4016
Email: shuter@velocityrei.com
Web: http://www.velocityrei.com
Search the MLS system 24/7 at http://www.velocityrei.com