We are relocating to Granger from Chicago and are wondering about good neighborhoods/areas to live and a good

Asked by Allison, Chicago, IL Mon Apr 7, 2008

relocation real estate agent, any advice? We will be sending our children to public schools. Thanks.

Answers

7
Middle aged…, Home Buyer, Granger, IN
Sun Sep 23, 2012
Private schools are always an option. Northpoint followed by discovery middle school ranks very well based on or research.
Reno911, Both Buyer And Seller, Granger, IN
Tue Oct 5, 2010
I would think twice about sending them to public schools even PHM. My kids went to a Montessori and now private Catholic school. When we tried the public schools out briefly, we found even the best ones were years behind what one of my kids needed. Indiana still ranks way behind in the Country for public schools, be very cautious with your chose of schools. We don't have the biggest home in Granger, but my kids are way ahead of their grade too. Private schools have more to offer, better behaved kids and less bullying too.
Jeff Schnabel…, Agent, South Bend, IN
Wed Sep 8, 2010
There are many great neighborhoods in Granger. There are neighborhoods built in the 70's all the way up to new construction. You can buy a lot of house for your money. I live in a neighborhood called Saddlebrook in Granger. My wife and I moved here from South Bend 12 years ago and just love it. We now have three children, ags 10, 8 and 5. Our neighborhood is very close nit and friendly. We have Bunko for the women, Texas Holdem Poker for the men, and we have a great hotdog stand for trick or treaters. I would love to introduce you to the area. My website is jschnabel.com and you can search homes in the Granger area. if you want to email me your criteria to jeff_schnabel@comcast.net, I can set up a search for you. Good luck with your move and please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Web Reference:  http://jschnabel.com
Paula, , 46530
Tue Apr 14, 2009
Hi! I am pleased to be able to answer your question with the same as the others pretty much with an additional comment. PHM schools are great, always at the top of everything scholastic locally. Locally, I know of a home that will be going on sale next week in Knollwood, the subdivision mentioned by the other person that responded. It is on the 5th hole of Knollwood golf course. If you'd like, we could show it to you before or after the agent is listed this week. My e-mail is destiny_b_183@sbcglobal.net if you'd like to hear more about it. By the way, it is my understanding that the western part of Knollwood is actually South Bend Clay school (which you probably don't want, I didn't). The owners of the aforementioned property loved the schools and their children thrived there. Good luck!!
Ann, Home Seller, Chicago, IL
Mon Aug 4, 2008
I've just done the opposite of you - moved from Granger to the Chicago area. I suffered from sticker shock, but you should be pleasantly surprised by the lower prices in Granger.

As a recent former resident who taught at Notre Dame, my ND colleagues and I agreed with the others that have posted that the PHM school district was best, especially at the elementary school level. My children went to Prairie Vista and got a great education. Of course, that puts you east of South Bend in developments with no sidewalks and uninspiring architecture, but the prices are very reasonable, taxes are low and schools are great. And commutes aren't long, since it's just not a very big place. We lived in Knollwood, at the end of a cul-de-sac on a golf course, and it was very family-friendly (also great if you like golf).

The Josh Sch…, , Mishawaka, IN
Thu May 8, 2008
Hi Allison! My sister and I grew up in Granger and we still live and work here. We both graduated from Penn-Harris-Madison Schools (Granger and the surrounding area's public school system) and I currently send my children to the same schools. I'm very happy with our community and the schools. There are several very nice areas to live in Granger and the surrounding Townships that go to the same school district. These townships are: Harris Township, Penn Township, and parts of the City of Mishawaka. Depending upon your price range and the type of neighborhood you prefer, you may also want to look at homes in Mishawaka, Osceola, and the county areas between these towns since the property taxes vary greatly.

Please note that parts of Granger are in Clay Township, which IS NOT in the PHM School district but instead in the South Bend Public Schools district. You can compare the ratings of public schools in Indiana at http://www.doe.state.in.us/htmls/education.html.

As a parent, it was important to have my kids attending a school with test scores and graduation rates at or above state averages. The last time I checked, PHM was the only public school system in St. Joseph County to have both test scores and graduation rates HIGHER than state average.

If you haven't made your move yet, feel free to contact me at (574) 993-5153 or Josh4Homes@comcast.net with any other questions you may have. If schools are a major factor for you, I highly recommend that you hire an agent that knows the area well and the exact school district for each home. Good luck with your move! I know you'll love our community!
Lisa Howell, , Elkhart, IN
Mon Apr 7, 2008
Hi Allison,
Welcome to Granger! I am currently live in Granger, and am originally from Chicago (Naperville & Downtown). You will really like the area, as it is very comparable to the Chicago suburbs. There are really many great neighborhoods, and it would really be a matter of getting to know what you are looking for. Most of Granger is in Penn Schools and I would be happy to forward information on these schools to you. Feel free to call me at 574-370-4179.

Lisa Howell
CENTURY 21 Landmark Realty Group
574-370-4179