We are moving to Memphis within the next few months. Because my husband is a Marine, we will only be

Asked by Andrea, Jacksonville, NC Mon Mar 31, 2008

stationed there for three years. What is a good area to purchase a house in, that will resale fast in three years. Schools are also important.

Answers

14
David Ernst, , Memphis, TN
Wed Apr 23, 2008
I would reccomned purchasing a home that already has some built in equity in case you have to move in three years. Otherwise, I feel that you will be better off renting and not having to worry about maintenance issues and property taxes.
Tman, , 30642
Sat Apr 5, 2008
Andrea,

Please thank your husband for a job "Well done" ..

Memphis is a great area, I think some guy named Elvis still haunts these boards ...

Rates are low and will stay lower for some time ...

I would rent, I would save and I would watch until the election in the fall and see how that might "maybe" change hubbies schedule, plus prices in that area will adjust themselves another 5 or 10% lower ..

In the meantime, you've been saving and watching - and you'll be in the drivers seat when it comes to buying ...

Good luck.!
Neal Masters, Agent, Atoka, TN
Mon Mar 31, 2008
The fastest growing area close to the Navy base would be Tipton County. More specificly , the atoka area.If you go to http://www.nealmasters.com , you can pick up a link to the schools and other local contacts (Millington Chamber of Commerce,local mortgage companies, community playhouse). There is also link to view homes in the area.
Web Reference:  http://www.nealmasters.com
Vince Kent, Home Buyer, Covington, KY
Sun Aug 24, 2008
Check out my ad in Craigs list for remodeled schoolhouse. 975 month rent and furnished. will deal with you. vince kent
Benita Giova…, Agent, Memphis, TN
Sun Aug 24, 2008
Welcome to Memphis! Unlike most large cities, Memphis and the surrounding small communities are close by and offer affordable living, good schools and a quick commute to work, shopping etc. This makes our market alittle difficult when trying to find the right area that compliments your lifestyle. When working with buyers, I try to make a list of what hobbies interest them , what's important in a community and of course their housing needs and price range. Then we go from there. I am a native Memphian and know about most areas, schools, price ranges and would be happy to discuss them with you. Feel free to search for homes on my website @ http://www.listingtosell.com or send me an email direct.
Michelle Dos…, , Germantown, TN
Tue Aug 12, 2008
Semper Fi! As a former (West Coast) Marine wife, I understand your concerns. You have many options depending upon your price range, caliber of schools you are seeking, and proximity to base. Feel free to email me anytime for a more in depth description of the area based upon your needs and wants. Best of luck and welcome to Memphis! ~ Michelle Doscher
Web Reference:  http://www.DoscherTeam.com
Sue Merkle, Both Buyer And Seller, Lakeland, TN
Mon Aug 11, 2008
Hi Andrea,
Our neighborhood in Lakeland is seems to be more than 20% military families.Nice to have like-minded folks to connect with. It's a simple commute on I-385, and the schools are excellent and it's a great lifestyle on/around the lake. We plan to move within the next 6 months and would like to rent our home. You may email me at AtlantaMerkles@aol.com for more info on it or on Lakeland in general.

Welcome! You'll love it here.
Sue Merkle
Karen Jenkins, , Memphis, TN
Thu May 15, 2008
Dear Andrea, if your hubby will be transferred to NAS Millington, then the perfect place for a short term investment is in Atoka, Tn. Atoka is about 6 or 7 minutes from the base and we have tons of military personell living in Tipton County. Tipton Co. is very desirable because the property taxes are low and so is crime. Tipton co. also has wonderful schools as I have a son graduated from one already and a daughter that will be a senior at Munford High this fall. Give me a call I will help you with your relocation. You can call me anytime @ 901-553-0191 or visit my website . Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Don Debaer &…, , Memphis, TN
Thu Apr 24, 2008
There are many fine communities in and around the Memphis area that offer both great schools and good resale value as well. We work with many military families moving to our area and take great pride in helping them find homes offering these amenities. Our client comments show several comments from officers we have worked with during the last few years. Check out the link to find these comments.
Michelle Dos…, , Germantown, TN
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Hurry up and Wait! I remember those days as a Marine wife. :) Now is great time to buy! Home prices are about what they were in 2003-2004. Memphis is not an inflated market so our home prices stay fairly stable even in downward markets. Unfortunately, not all stats reported are always correct (ie - bank-owned properties may change owners a few times before being purchased by a family, thus the foreclosure rate changes w/ each new owner.)
The Memphis - Shelby, Fayette & Tipton county area is a wonderful place to raise a family with many school options available. Rates are low and home prices are starting to creep upward for the Spring/Summer selling season. :) Best of luck - Semper Fi!
Joyce Jones, Agent, Memphis, TN
Thu Apr 3, 2008
Wow, there are so many good areas it's just hard to pick one! Do you want more of a suburban feel or a shorter commute? What grade(s) are your children going to and what subjects do they excel in? What activities are they involved in? I could go on and on with questions but instead I'll give you a quick assignment. Make a detailed list of all the things you want your new home to do for you... sell in 3 years, schools, be open, fenced yard (you get the picture). Collect the list items over the next couple of days, be sure to include the family, then rank the items 1 thru 5, with 5 as the least important. Share this list with the agent you decide to use and let them set up a property search for you.
Have a happy, happy day. Kindest Regards...Joyce
Angie Cathion, , Memphis, TN
Tue Apr 1, 2008
Andrea,
Joyce is right on in saying that Lakeland & Arlington are great areas to look. I live in Arlington myself & have four children that attend each of the schools here. The high school will have its first graduating class this year. We are right next to I-40, & 385 which the military base is off of. We have several military families that choose this area to settle for their 3 year stints. If you find that you do need assistance in your move I would love to help you & your husband 901-568-4104. If you don't & you end up in Arlington check out the AWC. Good Luck Andrea
Joyce Medlin, Agent, Bartlett, TN
Tue Apr 1, 2008
I would definitely look at Lakeland or Arlington. You can read reviews of the schools in those two suburbs by visiting " http://;www.danstewartrealtors.com/about_memphis" and clicking on Shelby County Schools. You may want to visit " http://;www.danstewartrealtors.com/relocation" for a neat offer. We've helped relocate U.S. Naval Bureau of Personnel....and many others.
Hi, , Virginia
Mon Mar 31, 2008
with all the closing costs and comissions you will pay to buy a house, it may be better to rent

anyways

good luck