We are looking to relocate to the Cary West area (good elementary & middle schools are a priority).

Asked by Buyer18, 27519 Thu Mar 25, 2010

We liked Pulte's Harmony - lot size, amenities,architecture, and the community atmosphere (but not the floorplans). However we would like to build a custom home. We considered Highcroft but were not satisfied ... the houses were too close to each other. Weycroft and the more expensive subdivisions are out of our budget. Are there other custom home communities in the area with homes in the 350-450K range?

What are the advantages of engaging a buyer's agent when custom building?

Answers

11
Tracy Santro…, Agent, Cary, NC
Fri Apr 20, 2012
Pulte is also expanding to a new section of Highcroft in 2012. So you would have the choice of custom at Highcroft or Pulte across the street. Obviously the Pulte homes will be a better value.
Joe Matthews,…, Agent, Cary, NC
Thu Jun 10, 2010
Not sure if you already found a home. If not, Horton's Creek off Green Level Church Rd. is a semi-custom neighborhood in the price range you mentioned.

Weycroft also has a few homes in the mid to upper $400's.

Now about having a buyer agent while building a custom home:

- suggestions on building lots and features to be added (for your use and also from a re-sale standpoint)
- somebody to represent you at all times (in the many pre-construction meetings and during construction)
- somebody to be on your side, looking out for you at each stage of construction
- proving full time, full service -All at NO COST to you!

http://www.zillow.com/profile/Service-and-Rebates!/
Web Reference:  http://www.RealTriangle.com
Stephen Hoyt, Agent, Flint, MI
Wed Mar 31, 2010
I relocated 3 years ago and looked at everthing, twice, no kidding my wife and I looked at 80 newbuilds in three days.

I moved from a one acre lot and was claustraphobic while looking.

I bought a home in a great development, my quality of life is better than I imagined, I walk my kids to school, I go on endless traffic free bike rides right out my back door. I can't do a triathlon or event without seeing neighbors, a lot of us train together, my wife is doing pilates in our sunroom right now with neighbors. I drove a mile and watched a Duke baseball game last night...it goes on and on I love my development.

High quality of life, great community, very low drama.

You should reconsider Highcroft. Great value and quality of life for the dollar. Build out, no out houses on your street or dust through your windows, top school. You can buy and upgrade if you need to for a great price.

Just my thoughts, based on my experience!
Barrett Powe…, , Cary, NC
Fri Mar 26, 2010
My family is a long time custom builder in the area and we would love to speak with you about finding you a lot to build on.

The link below will take you to a Cary, NC data page where you can see information on area schools and other useful information.
Dave Jeziers…, , Ashburn, VA
Fri Mar 26, 2010
You have already gotten some great answers on the schools and some of the developments, so adding to that would be a disservice to those who already shared their expertise. I wanted to talk to you about custom & semi-custom. Semi-custom is where you like a floor plan that a builder has, but you need to tweak it a little, add a bath, push a wall out, or add a room. Amberly was mentioned, and there are some semi-customs out there, but the lots are really tight, and therefore a little limiting on what you can do. The price range that you are comfortable with, may leave you not as many options as you would like if you want to stay in West Cary. There are some other options if you go to the southern end of Cary, tucked in next to Apex & Holly Springs. I would like to talk to you about your commute time, and your overall goals before recommending that area.

Your other question, about a buyers agent on custom homes. A buyers agent in general is in my opinion, a must have for a buyer. Buying a home is a very emotional time, and a good buyer agent will interject logic into the process and keep things smooth. A buyer agent will be representing your best interests, the agents for the builder represent the builder, not you. It would almost be like going to court and trying to representing yourself, not recommended. There is actually more work involved in a custom home, and a buyers agent will prove even more invaluable if you are relocating, and not in the area, we can help out a lot with some of the legwork. I myself, built homes in my teens, and have done many renovations throughout my years as a homeowner. I am very particular when it comes to how homes are built, and I have a very good eye. That would also be very beneficial to you. If I can be of help, please contact me through my profile or website. I would be honored to help you create a wonderful new home for you.
Sharon Kowitz, Agent, Cary, NC
Fri Mar 26, 2010
Morning,
As a former teacher at Davis Drive Middle, I can tell you that all the schools in Western Wake at top notch. But for a look at each schools End of Grade Scores go to http://www.wcpss.net Consistant top preformers are:
Highcroft Elem
Davis Elem
Greenhope Elem
Carpenter Elem
The new Mills Park Elem
Alston Elem comes on line 2010-2011
Alston will draw children from schools that art top preformers so the scores should be tops
Apex has great Elem Schools Salems are among Wakes Best
Middle Schools are Davis, New Mills Park, West Cary and top in Apex Salem, my daughter works with Austic children there and loves it!!
Check the Wake County School site for more information.
Sharon Kowitz Broker Fonville Morisey 919-831-3022
S
Michael Colv…, Agent,
Fri Mar 26, 2010
Hi
All of the answers are very useful and I agree with the advice. I would not even consider buying a home new or otherwise without the representation of an Agent. This is a large purchase and things can happen, evry state is different and you want someone to represent your best interest not the builders.
Michael
Web Reference:  http://www.colvinm.hpw.com
Sharon Kowitz, Agent, Cary, NC
Fri Mar 26, 2010
Thank you for your question and it a great one. These days custom local builders are struggling to get loans no matter how successful they are for spec homes (homes ready or almost ready for buyers). There are lots of communities if you have time builders would love to build a home for you, that is a pre-sale, builders can get these loans all day long.

If you know about Highcroft Village then you may know about these communites?
First I am working with custom builders in Olde Carpenter near Greenhope HS, and there are a couple plans we can bring in around $480k, this community usally sells in the $500's up. Then there are:
Amberly
Cameron Pond**note 540 is being built near by
Chessington is now building homes in your price range
Hillard's Forest has Ryan's Homes in there now that has homes in your range
Horton's Creek has some good looking designs
Greyston is not custom but has homes in the range
In Apex
Villages of Apex is starting a new line of homes and there are a few beautiful homes left you can pick up at a deal
Lastly, there are a few lots scattered in older communities builderscan up to build you a new home.
Hope this helps, Please feel free to give me a call anytime if you have questions on Olde Carpenter or any other community.Sharon Kowitz, Broker and buyers specialist @ FM Realty, Cary NC 919-831-3022
St. Peter, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Fri Mar 26, 2010
Welcome! You've made a fabulous choice of places to iive! Building (custom) in the Cary area can be pricey. Since there's some very lovely homes (perhaps a year or two old) would you consider a resale?

Be careful of the #540 coming in around some of those subdivisions....

As for a buyer's agent it's a very good idea! Whomever you choose will be able to advise you as to what/where to focus for good value, good resale, and things happening in and around the area.

Again, welcome to the Triangle!
Pamela
Bo Bromhal, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Thu Mar 25, 2010
As Mike says, you can get a custom home from quality local builders in Cameron Park - and under or near $450K. Now, using a Buyer's Agent to represent you may make the difference in what you pay. So, just by that experience and ability, a qualified Buyers Agent would be "worth it". Some of the same builders in Weycroft are building in Cameron Pond.

If you're relocating, and either unfamiliar with the area, the neighborhoods, the ongoing upheaval in the school system, the different builders...these are more reasons to use a Buyer's Agent. Then I suppose you could weigh the cost of travel several times during the construction progress to ensure that everything is going smoothly.
Web Reference:  http://bobromhal.pruysu.com
Mike Jaquish, Agent, Cary, NC
Thu Mar 25, 2010
Take a look at Cameron Pond.
Many of the homes are closer than you will like, but there are larger lots available.
Also, the Peninsula at Amberly may be worth considering, if you like the area.

During the build process, you should work closely with the builder. A Buyer's agent may help you with details, keeping track of timeline, etc. If you are out of the area, that can be a real help.
And a good agent with a background in construction can often work as an "extra set of eyes."
You will probably buy from an on-site agent who represents the Builder only. You may consider the benefit of leveling the playing field.
Web Reference:  http://MikeJaquish.com